Respected Contributor

And yes I was a hairdresser in the 60's ... Ahhh the good old days

of teasing with a metal comb ......

Trusted Contributor

Back in the day Stylist would use hard plastic rollers and use a metal clips to hold them in.

Respected Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

Back in the day Stylist would use hard plastic rollers and use a metal clips to hold them in.

Oh yes we did ....and lots and lots of hair spray ....!!

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am going to look for the brush rollers and I do remember  now my mother using them. One poster said you can  still buy them so I am going to look for them. Maybe Amazon sells them.

Honored Contributor

Not a hairdresser either.  But if you would like a really pretty wave, here is what I do sometimes.  I dampen my hair, use a bit of oil --- or style cream.  I pull my hair back as if going to put in a low pony, take my hair and twist, twist, twist, and then use a big hair clamp with teeth and clamp it to the top of my head.  Leave it in there for hours until it is dry.  When you take it out, hair will be soft, and full of beautiful waves.  You can use your fingers to just arrange and spray a bit if you like.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Amazon i am sure will have them .. I got mine in Wal Mart .. I know

that the Vermont Country Store carries them in their catalog .....

@cuddlesmama wrote:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am going to look for the brush rollers and I do remember  now my mother using them. One poster said you can  still buy them so I am going to look for them. Maybe Amazon sells them.

Esteemed Contributor

What you don't mention is how long your hair is. In the salon, we used the self grip (velcro) type rollers. The foam rollers hold in moisture, so we don't care for those. Use a tiny bit of setting spray before you roll the hair for added hold. 

Esteemed Contributor

@roster wrote:

Do salons use hair "rollers" today? Not that I've seen. Ask your salon what they use.

Not many salons use rollers.....bur curling irons can really damage the hair. Stylists use the irons because its fast.....let's face it, time is money. Some "old school" customers want a roller set - for that we use self grip (velcro) rollers. 

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

What you don't mention is how long your hair is. In the salon, we used the self grip (velcro) type rollers. The foam rollers hold in moisture, so we don't care for those. Use a tiny bit of setting spray before you roll the hair for added hold. 

My hair is shoulder length.

Respected Contributor

I was just reading about Magnetic rollers. Does anyone have any experience using them?