Respected Contributor

I want to do a wet set give my hair a break from all of the heat appliances. I would like to know what kind of hair rollers do hairdressers use in the salon. I know probably noone does this anymore,but I need some direction to go to when I buy them. I see a lot of sponge rollers but I don't want those. I need something  with substance the sponge rollers are too soft and I don't plan on sleeping with them on. Any help would be appreciated. I have medium length straight hair with medium texture.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not a hairdresser, but a friend uses "self grip rollers" with a clip.  Hope this helps.

Super Contributor

Do salons use hair "rollers" today? Not that I've seen. Ask your salon what they use.

Respected Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

I'm not a hairdresser, but a friend uses "self grip rollers" with a clip.  Hope this helps.

I didn't know  you could use self grip rollers on wet hair.

Trusted Contributor

I believe that is why she uses the clip with it.....she has fine hair and setting it while wet is the only way she can get it to hold the curl.  All she has are the self grip rollers.  I really hope someone chimes in to help you, sweetie.  

Respected Contributor

Not a hair dresser but when I had hair, (poker straight, liitle longer than chin length BOB) I'd dry it then use velcro rollers for a few hours.  If I had something "big", I'd sleep in them.  If I didn't dry my hair first, it would not dry in the rollers.

Regular Contributor

I'm not a hair stylist but I use velcro rollers in my hair every am along with my blow dryer. So easy to do. Just a few around the hair line and crown. Velco rollers work & you don't need to sleep  or keep them in for long lengths of time if you use a blow dryer to set the roller. Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I have fine hair ... a good amount of it but fine .... I have tried many styles

over the years ... and I have had to go back to an old favorite .. I blow

dry my hair and then put brush rollers ... yes you can still buy them ...

in for about 20 mins .... works great ...

Curling irons never worked well ... heated rollers were too heavy

for my hair ... so this seems to work well.. can't believe I have

gone back to this .. but what are you gonna do !!!!!

Respected Contributor

i found that the velcro rollers made static electricity in my hair ... and

i could not get them in tight enough without a pick .....

Trusted Contributor

What I would recommend, although I don't know if they are still even available today, are those mesh covered wire rollers that were used for ages and ages when I was younger.  I still have a bunch of them.

I used to always do wet sets with these before blow drying and all the other new hot tools became the norm.

They have body, they allow air circulation, and they have some bendability, some give to them, so that you could sleep on them if you had to.  I did, for years and years, but I don't think I could tolerate them today...I'm no longer used to them and I no longer am willing to suffer to be beautiful, something my mother would always say to me when I was a little girl.

I don't like any of the newer rollers because they either seem to pull out my hair, (the velcro ones) or fall out (those smooth plastic ones).  The sponge ones aren't too bad, but they don't allow the hair to dry as well.