Respected Contributor

Re: Any Hair Colorists on the Forum? I Need Help!

I've have experience in Salons and my daughter is a Beautician hair stylist. Although I don't have dark hair..my daughters do. I would suggest a full head of foils with a neutral blonde. Make sure you look at color swatches and choose a blonde shade you like. Dont worry about it being too light because it wont lift that light if your dark. You may need a 40 volume peroxide. Then as a last step after its washed out I would apply an ashy toner...that'll help tone any brassiness. Do a deep conditioner and ask about a clear glaze to shine it up. HTH
Esteemed Contributor

My natural color is almost black.  My hairdressers have colored my hair a light brown or dark blond for ages.  It has never required anything else but the coloring.  It also makes its own highlighting from being outdoors so much. I love it.

You may need to try another stylist.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a hair stylist/colorist, but your hair professional should be able to do some foil highlights to lighten your dark hair, and then start using a lighter allover color on your roots, so there won't be an obvious demarcation line.  She can then continue with the lighter color for root touch-ups, and periodically add more foils if needed (either highlights or lowlights) to make the color transition more natural.  I hate to say it, but it sounds as if your hair stylist just doesn't want to  change your color.  There shouldn't be any damage with foils.  If somehow there would be damage, your hair is pixie length, so any "damage" your hair stylist is forecasting would be cut off soon enough anyway, since pixie hair length is short.  But again, there shouldn't be any damage with foils. 

I know it's a tough spot to be in when you really like a hair stylist, yet you disagree on something he or she wants to do (or not do).  You're probably afraid of offending your hair stylist, and possibly "losing" her (I've been in that position!). A hair stylist should be professional enough to accept any differences in opinions, but I know that's not always the case.  Ultimately it's you who needs to feel good about your hair, and you have to take the risk of possibly offending her by telling her you want her to try some foil highlights. Hopefully, since you've had a 27 year relationship, she will be open to trying.  Good luck!    

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Has your stylist suggested treatment for your hair?  I would deep condition my hair, as suggested in another post.  Get it in its best condition.  If you go 5 weeks between coloring, go as long as you can hold out.  Have it colored one shade lighter and repeat until you get to desired color.  I'd also go back for a consultation with my stylist. 

Super Contributor

My hair is all white and very course and dry, also. Due to allergies to most brands on the market, my hairdresser now uses Wella Innocence on my hair. She was using #7, which is a dark brown. I felt it was beginning to look like mud on me. She suggested we go lighter to #8. I asked her instead to do half and half. There was no problem at all. We didn't need any big procedures. She just mixes half and half of each color and I now have a medium brown which looks much softer. I, too, have skin that is gettng paler and paler so I needed the lighter color. My hair dresser also puts special condiitoner on my hair with the color to help the dryness and it works. 

Honored Contributor

L'Oreal Sun kissed Caramels are designed to lighten very dark hair. I have a friend who had your exact issues and she really looked pretty after using the ash brown shade. It was a very soft color and when her roots came in she just touched it up with a similar shade in Preference.

Good Luck....

Honored Contributor

For the first time in my 56 years today I tried on a wig! I went for the dark brown, I'm a dirty blonde naturally, and it was straight. I have waist length very curly hair. The wig was a tiny bit below my shoulders. The most bizarre part is that I looked just like my sister?! For the record we do not look alike LOL.

It was fun and I want to do it again. It was definitely helpful in narrowing down the color to dye my hair. I've always loved the look of dark hair and light eyes so why not? When I asked the SA what she thought of the color and if I could pull it off she said 'yes' but keep it a warm brown. BTW I was impressed with how quick and easy it was to put on my head

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, thank you, all of my wondeful friends!  I appreciate each and every suggestion and opinion you have offered to me.  I also feel as though my dark hair problem is not as hopeless as I had been made to think it was.  The next time I so, I am taking all of your comments and asking her about all of the suggested methods.  I will also take the good advice of working to get my hair in its best shape possible!

Honored Contributor

HAIR: At 68, I'm having the same problem....dark brown hair, green eyes and very fair skin. I've colored my now 90% grey since I was 20 when I had more grey than brown. It looked great until I hit my 60's. My Derm told me that when your hair looses it's color & goes grey, so does your complexion get more pale. I didn't have any shade lighter foundation to try. The solution: lighten the hair. I decided to start w/ highlights (my skin tone is COOL...to look natural, stay w/ cool or warm tones depending on your skin tone). My stylist started w/ a cool, dark red and some light blondish ones so grey roots would not be too obvious too soon. As the months go on & grey roots appear & need to be retouched, highlights will be added instead of covering grey with more dark brown dye. Many of my friends are just taking the plunge and letting their hair go grey naturally. After being a slave to my salon every 3 weeks, that's still in my mind as an option!!!

MAKEUP: if you stay dark brown w/ light skin, you'll have to use more blush & eye makeup & a brighter lip color to allow for your skin getting paler. I love makeup, but a lighter, natural look....another reason I chose to go lighter w/ my hair than wearing a lot of makeup. 

Respected Contributor