Occasional Contributor

Any Derma Rollers That Are Sterile Like Other Medical Devices That Pierce The Skin?

I have read all the glowing reviews regarding derma rolling but am very nervous about health issues. {#emotions_dlg.scared} It appears that these products are not sterilized or medically sealed.

I know that I could soak it in alcohol or denture cleaner (as some recommend) after I receive it but true sterilization requires an autoclave.

I recently read a review on these boards where a person purchased one of these rollers and just couldn't bring herself to use it.{#emotions_dlg.mellow} I feel like I could not puncture my skin hundreds of times with needles that were not sterile.

I'm not even sure how these items are allowed to be sold unregulated with the purpose of penetrating the skin. I realize that people run sewing needles through flames to sterilize them when removing splinters, but sewing needles aren't sold with the intention of being used as medical devices. Lancets and tattoo needles are all sold with guaranteed sterility.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a seller who offers a derma roller that is properly sterilized and sealed (not just UVA sterilized). Once I receive the item, I would feel comfortable using alcohol or other ways to clean it at home. It's the thought of the germs that these rollers could have gotten in the manufacturing, packing, and transport process that concerns me.

Super Contributor

Re: Any Derma Rollers That Are Sterile Like Other Medical Devices That Pierce The Skin?

Fill a glass with alcohol and soak it. Or run it through the dishwasher. I've bought a couple from Amazon and used them right out of the package- No problems!!!

I don't know of any medically sanitized ones. Would probably cost a lot more and can you really trust that they are sanitized? Just sanitize it yourself the way that you want it. Then you will know for sure.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Derma Rollers That Are Sterile Like Other Medical Devices That Pierce The Skin?

In one of the very recent threads on derma rolling, one poster did purchase a pre-sterilized roller that came to her is a vacuum sealed package. I can't recall who it was and you'll have to read through a lot of posts (but the info is great) to find the poster who was able to purchase a roller just the way you want to.

I intend to do the same when I buy mine.

Esteemed Contributor

You really need to get something like Quaternary Ammonium to clean this. Alcohol cannot completely kill many things like MRSA and other serious bacteria.

Since these rollers have been getting more and more popular we are seeing a lot more infections caused by these in the derms office I work in. One lady had a really nasty infection on her cheek caused by this that has left quite a scar.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

Lurker - I have found one. It's the MTS Roller™ and has a suggested retail price of $130.00:

Each roller has a serial number for quality control and safety. The needles will not fall out or rust. It is not made of plastic and is manufactured in the US.

The rollers are FDA registered as Type I supplementary instruments.
All components are produced in high-tech ISO9001 quality-controlled manufacturing facilities.
MTS Roller is patented.
The MTS Dermaroller is a durable, high-quality precision tool.
200 bristles (surgical stainless steel needles) – the highest count of any roller
The barrel and handle are made from Lexan® polycarbonate resin.
The axle is polished stainless steel.
A patented manufacturing process holds the needles permanently in place, within 0.02 mm of the specified length from the roller base.
All rollers have unique quality-control serial numbers.

GUARANTEE: 100% Contaminant-Free
MTS Rollers™ are sterilized with gamma radiation and sealed in a hermetic pouch and are guaranteed to be 100% contaminate-free upon delivery.
©dermalintegrity.com

Rodan and Fields just relaunched their derma roller, but I haven't been able to locate any info on how it's sterilized. I think theirs is manufactured in Korea.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Trusted Contributor

Lyn ---- are you leaning towards this MTS roller you were so kind to elaborate upon above? You mentioned Rodan and Fields re-launching their rollers and I am assuming the best place to look at their version is on their website, yes?

That MTS roller sounds extremely safe and comprehensive. Do they offer them in the different mm sizes (.2 mm, .3 mm and .5 mm?) It would certainly get costly to purchase all three different sizes from them.

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2014 lyn in MI said: Lurker - I have found one. It's the MTS Roller™ and has a suggested retail price of $130.00:

Each roller has a serial number for quality control and safety. The needles will not fall out or rust. It is not made of plastic and is manufactured in the US.

The rollers are FDA registered as Type I supplementary instruments.
All components are produced in high-tech ISO9001 quality-controlled manufacturing facilities.
MTS Roller is patented.
The MTS Dermaroller is a durable, high-quality precision tool.
200 bristles (surgical stainless steel needles) – the highest count of any roller
The barrel and handle are made from Lexan® polycarbonate resin.
The axle is polished stainless steel.
A patented manufacturing process holds the needles permanently in place, within 0.02 mm of the specified length from the roller base.
All rollers have unique quality-control serial numbers.

GUARANTEE: 100% Contaminant-Free
MTS Rollers™ are sterilized with gamma radiation and sealed in a hermetic pouch and are guaranteed to be 100% contaminate-free upon delivery.
©dermalintegrity.com

Rodan and Fields just relaunched their derma roller, but I haven't been able to locate any info on how it's sterilized. I think theirs is manufactured in Korea.
You think about how long you can use this (especially the 1x monthly .05) and the cost is really reasonable. Even I (fearless and foolhardy) was hesitant to buy a $10 one from amazon or Ebay. :-)

Again, thanks for the education, Professor Lyn!

Respected Contributor

On 1/10/2014 wackers said:

In one of the very recent threads on derma rolling, one poster did purchase a pre-sterilized roller that came to her is a vacuum sealed package. I can't recall who it was and you'll have to read through a lot of posts (but the info is great) to find the poster who was able to purchase a roller just the way you want to.

I intend to do the same when I buy mine.

That was me and I bought it from New Spa.
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for all your replies! I'm going to look into the MTS Roller. I also had never heard of Quaternary Ammonium for disinfecting. Great advice about preventing MRSA.

Contributor

If you don't have MRSA, and you are not sharing this device, you really don't need to worry about killing MRSA. The lack of common sense never ceases to amaze me.