Honored Contributor

Anti-perspirants & Deodorants - Searching for something less irritating but effective

Yet again - I am looking for advice from everyone here!

Some may find this to be a yucky subject, but it's a part of everyone's daily routine so here goes!

I have used an anti-perspirant all my life. As a young woman, I perspired very heavily and at one point used Mitchum's (which was about the strongest thing that was available way bak when). I don't seem to perspire as heavily as I did but do upon occasion when I get nervous or very warm.

Now, since I have so many skin problems and irritations, I use Dove for sensitive skin. I do find it to be effective, but I'm still getting rather itchy and irritated.

I would like to switch to something more natural but am afraid this would not be effective. I don't know whether just a deodorant and not an anti-perspirant would be sufficient for me.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a product which might be a better choice for me?

Also, do those crystal type things help with odor and wetness control?

I appreciate all your posts!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Anti-perspirants & Deodorants - Searching for something less irritating but effective

There are several on here who make their own, with coconut oil.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anti-perspirants & Deodorants - Searching for something less irritating but effective

Tom's natural...buy it at TJs

Super Contributor

Unfortunately I can totally relate! My skin has become sensitive over the years and I've literally spent hundreds of dollars on various deodorants & anti-perspirants. I've even ordered from independent etsy deodorant makers. I would love something natural without aluminium but after trying a lot of ""natural"" ones have come to the conclusion they just aren't effective for me Smiley Sad I've spent time researching which ""natural"" brands are most effective and ordered them only to be left stinky Smiley Sad I don't sweat a lot either. It's the odor control I need-ha! If you find something that works please share. As of now I'm using Dove sensitive solid. It doesn't irritate but it's unscented so I have to reapply a lot.
Super Contributor

Double post
Honored Contributor

I have found the crystal deodorants to be the most effective and mild of any other deodorant. You can get the crystal, spray on or roll on. It just seems like water but great. When I first started using it over 20 years ago, I kept asking my boyfriend and my friends to tell me if they could smell me when it was hot. It took about a month to be really comfortable using it and realizing that it works far better than anything else and I didn't have to worry about sweat stains, white clothing marks and sweating heavily. I don't get the wet sweat stains in really hot weather and don't get running underarm sweat when doing things like mowing the grass on really hot days and never any smell!! I know several men who use it and not matter what they don't smell sweaty even after heavy workouts.

Esteemed Contributor

Secret Clinical Strength Clear Gel. I got it in a Walmart Beauty Box and it's the best I've every used and I have used a lot.

I have sensitive, itchy, rashy skin and it does not bother me. In fact, once it dries, I can't even tell there is anything there. No sticky, greasy residue to irritate and it does a great job.

It's a little spendy as deodorants go, but so worth it.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Toms or Jasons are Great and Chemical Free!!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

I much prefer the Dove Clinical Strength to Secret because of the delivery system. Some of the Secret containers I've found are very difficult to twist up. Dove is much easier and just as good, if not better. They have several fragrances or none if you prefer.

DD pefers Mitchum. I've never tried that one, but she says it is "stronger".

Trusted Contributor

On 2/21/2015 phoenixbrd said:

Tom's natural...buy it at TJs

That's what I use, and I like it better than the crystal I was using.