Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anti-aging creams debunked

OK, humor me........ when I see that many ingredients in one product.....  Well, any amount of one product would be 100%.   Right?   If a product contains more than 50 ingredients (as this one does), then there is about 2% or less than 2% of every ingredient in that product.  How much good does less than 2% of one ingredient actually do?  mixed in with all those other ingredients?  How much 'fruit extract' would actually be in the product - considering that 'fruit extract' is about 11th on the list.  Hmmm.

Sorry.  Having too many ingredients in any product always bugs me.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

well, sort of, One of our local derm doctors who specializes in botox, juvaderm and other anit-aging creams and devices was on our local tv station last night, She conducted a test using both high end and drugstore anti-again creams and used a special device to look at skin below the surface level both before the creams and after,

Then she used the device again to see if the creams made any difference in texture, pores, things like that, 

#1 Beauty product that made the most significant difference was Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty night cream, followed by SkinCeuticals and Olay, 

Last place for significant change was Chanel Sublimage at $239.

Interesting study. 

@PinkSunset, did this derm look at the skin immediately after application? Later? After several applications?

Don't get me wrong, I have no great faith in most topical products, but I do sort of wonder about a derm who makes money from procedures possibly having a sly angle here.

it was a scientific study using a machine that looks at sun damage, texture, pore size and so on. She really didn't stand to benefit anything from this study from what I can see, At the end of it she said the best you can do for your skin is stay out of the sun and use sunscreen and to keep it hydrated. She didn't sell any products or services as a result of this. Oh, and it was a 2 week study, she didn't look at their skin after one application but before they started and after the two weeks. 

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

This is not really news.  The only truly approved cream is Retin-A for anti-aging.  You can even buy a cousin named Differen over the counter now.

My personal opinion is that the right vitamin C product is helpful also.  Another collagen building substance.

I am frequently unimpressed with before/after photos.  Not enough, and they never seem to update them! 

Hyacinth

I use Differen after I asked a Dematologist Intern for a script for Retin-A.   He advised me to try Differen and said he uses it himself - 2X daily.

Honored Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

This is not really news.  The only truly approved cream is Retin-A for anti-aging.  You can even buy a cousin named Differen over the counter now.

My personal opinion is that the right vitamin C product is helpful also.  Another collagen building substance.

I am frequently unimpressed with before/after photos.  Not enough, and they never seem to update them! 

Hyacinth

I use Differen after I asked a Dematologist Intern for a script for Retin-A.   He advised me to try Differen and said he uses it himself - 2X daily.

The thing about Differin is that it is formulated to treat the upper layers of the skin and it is not intended to reach deeper where collagen-producing fibroblasts are located. Another feature about Differin is that it is made to react with only two kinds of retinoid receptors found in our skin. We have three kinds of retinoid receptors and the third one is found deep where Differin cannot go. That is where Retin-A has the advantage over Differin. Retin-A is formulated to react with all three receptors and that is why it can reduce wrinkles. Differin cannot do that nor has it been FDA approved make such claims because technically it cannot be called an anti-aging product...it is an acne medication.

Honored Contributor

Chanel skincare might be expensive but that doesn't mean it's good.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Retin A is the gold standard. The rest is moisturizer, which will not make a dent in wrinkles. Only Retin A.
The truth.
Respected Contributor

Ladies, you can go to a dermatologist and ask for a prescription. In the long run you will save money! You won't have to look for the miracle cream. They have Generic Retin A now too. Hope this helps!
Respected Contributor

Sorry Ladies, I didn't mean to be rude or so blunt.
I have used Retin A for over 25 years. I did have cystic acne. My Doctor told me to keep using it with sunscreen. I did. I don't have for head lines,crowsfeet or anything else on my face except 11 lines because I frown.I use botox twice a year. I still do try stuff but not so much really. I don't even have Hyperpigmentation.

I am not tuting my horn. I really am telling you the !truth. I know some can't use it.That's Where AHA and BHA may help. Retinoids don't do anything for me.
Sorry I killed your thread.
Respected Contributor

OKtwo important prefixes to understand when it comes to face creams, etc.

1.  Anti aging.  The prefix anti is stating that the product will lessen signs of facial aging by using a sun screen.  It's anti aging, it will not remove wrinkles and sun damage that has already occurred.

2.  De-aging.  De-aging is saying that the product will take away wrinkles, sun damage.  

Do not expect anti aging products to do anything but protect your skin from sun damage and providing moisture.  

Esteemed Contributor

If a product is advertised or labeled as "anti-aging,"  I won't buy it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt