Respected Contributor

Re: Anti-aging creams debunked

I think for someone who has used nothing other than Ivory soap on their face any antiaging product would show a great improvement. For those of us who have taken care of our skin for decades, none of these OTC products will do much of anything. I completely agree that Retiin A is the gold standard as far as an anti aging skincare product. I also think that regular consistent use of SPF is next in line for combatting aging.

Trusted Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

This is not really news.  The only truly approved cream is Retin-A for anti-aging.  You can even buy a cousin named Differen over the counter now.

My personal opinion is that the right vitamin C product is helpful also.  Another collagen building substance.

I am frequently unimpressed with before/after photos.  Not enough, and they never seem to update them! 

Hyacinth

I use Differen after I asked a Dematologist Intern for a script for Retin-A.   He advised me to try Differen and said he uses it himself - 2X daily.

I am prone to getting adult acne on my face.

I can still get cysts on my chin.

One of the doctors that I used to see prescribed Differin for me when it was still available by prescription.

He had told me that it was good for those who couldn't tolerate Retin-A. I was one of those for whom Retin-A was just too irritating. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

This is not really news.  The only truly approved cream is Retin-A for anti-aging.  You can even buy a cousin named Differen over the counter now.

My personal opinion is that the right vitamin C product is helpful also.  Another collagen building substance.

I am frequently unimpressed with before/after photos.  Not enough, and they never seem to update them! 

Hyacinth

I use Differen after I asked a Dematologist Intern for a script for Retin-A.   He advised me to try Differen and said he uses it himself - 2X daily.

The thing about Differin is that it is formulated to treat the upper layers of the skin and it is not intended to reach deeper where collagen-producing fibroblasts are located. Another feature about Differin is that it is made to react with only two kinds of retinoid receptors found in our skin. We have three kinds of retinoid receptors and the third one is found deep where Differin cannot go. That is where Retin-A has the advantage over Differin. Retin-A is formulated to react with all three receptors and that is why it can reduce wrinkles. Differin cannot do that nor has it been FDA approved make such claims because technically it cannot be called an anti-aging product...it is an acne medication.

Thanks for the explanation !  I will see my Derm in November and I will ask her for a script.