Valued Contributor

well, sort of, One of our local derm doctors who specializes in botox, juvaderm and other anit-aging creams and devices was on our local tv station last night, She conducted a test using both high end and drugstore anti-again creams and used a special device to look at skin below the surface level both before the creams and after,

Then she used the device again to see if the creams made any difference in texture, pores, things like that, 

#1 Beauty product that made the most significant difference was Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty night cream, followed by SkinCeuticals and Olay, 

Last place for significant change was Chanel Sublimage at $239.

Interesting study. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anti-aging creams debunked

@PinkSunset   This doesn't surprise me. If someone is really interested in anti-aging, listen to Rich Roll's pod cast with David Sinclair to get some insight into the world of anti-aging.  Really interesting.

Respected Contributor

That's not surprising to me. I've found that serums do most of the heavy lifting in terms of changing texture, tone, or pores. I've had a few that seemed to do more in terms of plumping the right areas than others, which makes my skin look firmer, but generally, I don't find the moisturizers change much. The biggest change I see is usually just switching to one that provides the right moisture for my skin. When I started going from very oily to dry skin, changing my moisturizer made a lot of difference in how dry my skin was, but did nothing else that I noticed.

I mostly expect my moisturizer to keep my skin feeling moisturized and help lock the serums in. And I don't think anything's really "anti-aging."

Honored Contributor

But, they bring in billions of dollars. I use Olay, have no idea what it is really doing. 

Respected Contributor

As long as dishonest people/companies make fake promises, women will be there to believe them. My father who was a surgeon, 2 dermatoligists and my plastic surgeon who did my eyelid surgery all said topicals cannot make any significant changes to the skin, except for Retin A. And the biggest con is 'eye creams'......I take care of my skin very well with non chemical cleansers and moisturizers but do not use/purchase 'anti aging' products. 

Honored Contributor

The only product that has ever had an offical 'anti-aging' term attached to it is Retin-A. That is the gold standard of all and any other cream out there. It's scientifically proven to work and there are facts to back it up.

Respected Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

As long as dishonest people/companies make fake promises, women will be there to believe them. My father who was a surgeon, 2 dermatoligists and my plastic surgeon who did my eyelid surgery all said topicals cannot make any significant changes to the skin, except for Retin A. And the biggest con is 'eye creams'......I take care of my skin very well with non chemical cleansers and moisturizers but do not use/purchase 'anti aging' products. 

I think it depends on what you consider significant. I don't think any topical is going to significantly reduce wrinkles or firm or tighten anything.

For me, BHAs and AHAs make a big difference for me in terms of skin texture. If I use them regularly, my skin is brighter and smoother. If I don't exfoliate with acids, my skin gets rough and dull and I wish I could peel it off like a snake. But I wouldn't call that "anti-aging."

I agree. I just swipe my moisturizer under my eyes.

Honored Contributor

I remember when many years ago one of our local news stations compared drugstore moisturizers with expensive and the drugstore won out.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

well, sort of, One of our local derm doctors who specializes in botox, juvaderm and other anit-aging creams and devices was on our local tv station last night, She conducted a test using both high end and drugstore anti-again creams and used a special device to look at skin below the surface level both before the creams and after,

Then she used the device again to see if the creams made any difference in texture, pores, things like that, 

#1 Beauty product that made the most significant difference was Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty night cream, followed by SkinCeuticals and Olay, 

Last place for significant change was Chanel Sublimage at $239.

Interesting study. 

@PinkSunset, did this derm look at the skin immediately after application? Later? After several applications?

Don't get me wrong, I have no great faith in most topical products, but I do sort of wonder about a derm who makes money from procedures possibly having a sly angle here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The only product that has ever had an offical 'anti-aging' term attached to it is Retin-A. That is the gold standard of all and any other cream out there. It's scientifically proven to work and there are facts to back it up.

Yep, that is true about Retin A. I have used it exclusively at night for past 8-10 years. It is still covered by my employer health insurance at 10$ a tube...I was breaking out like crazy back then and got the script and am able to continue with it.  No breakouts any more though.  Day moisturizer is Olay for sensitive skin spf 15 in a jar...5.99 at walmart and I love it. Take it up under my eyes as well.  Every now and then I will use Josie Marans agan oil at night because sometimes in winter I get dry but that is absolutely it.