Valued Contributor

Re: Anti-aging Sleep Position

@beautybee Great post.  I looked a little at the mouth taping question this morning.  I've never tried it.  

The little bit I saw says that mouth taping can keep the mouth from drying out at night, which is bad for the mouth and gums.

I also saw that nasal breathing increases nitric oxide, which seems to have health benefits.

I got this from the askthedentist website.  I make no claim as to its veracity, but this particular dentist promotes mouth taping and he says this about nitric oxide :

Here are a few more of the benefits of NO to the body:

• Enhanced memory and learning
  • Better regulated blood pressure
  • More regulated inflammatory response
  • Improved sleep quality
  • Increased endurance and strength
  • Better opportunity for weight loss
  • Improved immune/gut function
  • Decreased pain
  • Reduced risk of heart disease
  • Help with symptoms of anxiety and depression
Valued Contributor

@Oostende  I have found that the mouth taping has definitely helped with the dry mouth and throat that I used to have when I would wake up in the morning. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beautybee wrote:

@BrandiDavis  Like @tsavorite  I have always been a poor sleeper since I was a little girl. I'm sure she will give you great advice about it. I just wanted to tell you that I have been doing the taping for a long while now and it is working for me.  I learned about it from a youtube channel called High Intensity Health.  I used to take the pink pills for allergys to help me sleep but I've read a study (can't remember where) that long term use could be linked to dementia. So I had to find another alternative to help me sleep.

I already eat early, take melatonin, and try to stay as relaxed as possible but I never get a full nights sleep. So in desperation I came across the info. and decided to try it. The first night I woke up in such a deep fog, I felt like I was drugged. I don't know if my body caught up with true sleep or what. Since then I have not had that reaction. I still wake up once during the night, but I have to take a thyroid med so it's no problem. 

Of coarse you feel ridiculous with tape on your mouth, but I have been married for decades so my husband has seen it all. Lol!  I use the wide micropore tape and I create a tab so that if I need to cough or sneeze during the night, I can quickly take off the tape. I also unstick the tape several times against some fabric so that it's sticky enough to stick to my mouth, but not so that it would irritate my skin. I also put some type of lip balm before I tape. The micropore is lengthwise on my mouth so it's contained in a smaller area rather than straight across my entire mouth.

Sorry it's so long a post. Just my two cents. It's a wacky idea but it's worked for me so far.

@BrandiDavis 

Beautybee has covered it all perfectly LOL!!! I do exactly the same thing since Sept. and at first I thought this is CRAZY LOL!  But having to get up 3 or more times per night to pee was causing me to not be able to function during the day.  I saw High Intensity Health on this YouTube and played around with it.  You get used to it after a few nights and it's no big deal.  I put the tape strip on the back of my hand and pull it off several times to make it not so sticky.  I only use a small piece length wise which doesn't come to the corners of my mouth and put my lipbalm on 1st.  Some people online get all crazy putting alot on...it is not necessary.  I only gently apply it...as I sleep my skin/lips warm up and it seems to adhere more....so I just gently remove it in the am.  

I had discovered that the reason I was waking up having to pee all night is that if you do not go into certain sleep stages your brain doesn't produce enough anti-diruetic hormone which when sleeping needs to be much higher so you stay alseep all night.  Your kidneys reabsorb fluid during the night instead of waking you up.  Learned about that from watching another YouTube urologist explaining it. 

Now I still wake up to roll over in bed as my shoulder may hurt or my ear....but  I go back to sleep right away.  

And you do feel kinda dopey the 1st nights when you begin doing it...I was so used to waking up to pee all night long I suspect it took me longer to adjust.  

I am currently watching more of the High Intensity online for clearing up breathing/nose as I have one nostril that gets stuffy or blocked.  I believe this too can be a issue for me and I must have been opening my mouth all night to breath.  Husband always told me he never heard me snoring so I didn't know what to think.

Got long here but HTH

Esteemed Contributor

When back hurts, it helps to sleep on back. Also, the wrinkles make sense. Sometimes I wake with the side of my face smurshed on the pillow and think-- that can't be good for wrinkles. Wish I didn't slip over to my side when asleep. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

What chest crease?

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I would love to sleep on my back.  It's just not doable for me.  Lower back/upper rear disk problems force me to sleep on my left side.  The only time I lay on my back is long enough for the ice pack to get warm.  But, I have slept on my back a couple of times (not purposely).  And I DID wake up feeling better and had less puffiness and aches/pains.  So I know it works.  When I go to sleep I hardly move at all. The bed looks like no one has slept in it.  So I'm not tossing and turning.  I may look into buying a dense gel filled pad and see if that would help sleeping on my back.