Valued Contributor

Good morning!

YouTube suggested a HotandFlashy video for me yesterday afternoon.  The vlogger, Angie, suggested that sleeping on one's back, as opposed to sleeping on one's side or stomach, has a bunch of beauty benefits.

Angie said she experiences less puffiness, fewer wrinkles, and fewer aches and pains in her back, shoulders, and hips when she sleeps on her back.  She also said that sleeping that way eliminates the chest crease that sometimes appears with age.  

People in the comment section agreed that they looked and felt better after sleeping on their backs.

I generally sleep on my side but I was curious.  I slept on my back last night, with a supportive pillow under my head and another pillow under my knees.  Angie suggested a wedge pillow, to sleep in a more upright position, but that is not for me.  

I think she's right about the puffiness.  I know my body feels better.  I'm sold on the idea.

Has anyone else tried to change the position they sleep in for beauty or health reasons?  I wasn't familiar with the idea so it was something of a revelation.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Anti-aging Sleep Position

How do control which position you sleep in?? ...you're asleep.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You'd think most people would opt for whatever is comfortable. As far as health reasons, some people need to elevate their feet, others lay in a more upright position. I guess that's why there are adjustable beds. I myself am a back sleeper although I'll roll on my side occasionally.

Valued Contributor

I've always had trouble sleeping and most times I slept on my side. I started getting shoulder aches and sleep wrinkles. I took her advice the last time she made a video and got a wedge. I've tried various pillows and techniques to try and sleep on my back, but it never worked until I got the wedge.

I use a small, buckwheat pillow. Have used this for years as it's the only one that supports my neck. I don't pile on the pillows and sleep almost upright like she does. I almost follow the line of the wedge. This is what is most comfortable for me and my head is still elevated.  So I put the pillow ontop of the wedge. No pillows under my knees. I go to sleep on my back and wake up the same way.

I've noticed less puffiness to my face, no sleep wrinkles, and my sinuses are better.  I'm glad I followed her recommendation. I just modified with what was most comfortable for me.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee  Angie used a wedge pillow to keep her in her preferred sleeping position.  She said there are specific pillows designed to help.

I guess I don't toss and turn too much.  I stayed on my back the entire night.  I thought it was an interesting concept.    

Valued Contributor

That's great, @beautybee.  I couldn't tackle a wedge pillow, but I have some very supportive pillows that do work for me.

It really does seem to help.  I was surprised. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Oostende @I started years ago when I read it helps prevent chest wrinkles.

Respected Contributor

This is utter nonsense.  Period.

Respected Contributor

I start on my back and try to stay on it but find I end up on my side and if I try to fight it then I just can't get back to sleep and have to give in.

I have this darn sleep wrinkle on my chin from sleeping on my right side, sure with I could smooth that out Smiley Sad  Not willing to do injections, just don't want to start that long road

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have heard this before but I simply can't sleep on my back. I do get a good night's sleep on most nights but I am a side sleeper. Guess I will just deal with the wrinkles.