Honored Contributor

Re: Anti Aging - Skin Care for Sensitive skin?

[ Edited ]

I'm very sensitive and was told by my derm to use moisturizer mixed with my Retin A.  It worked.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I am 47.  I think I better do this for at least a month!! and, yes even though I am combo, my skin needs moisture for sure.

Respected Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn wrote:

@SandGirl 

Hi I am 56 and have sensitive acne prone skin . I recently found the young dermatologist Dr Dray .who has her own YouTube channel .It has made a difference in my skin .After watching her I have found out that the biggest culprit of skin sensitivy is fragrance . . She has many videos on vitamin c ,retinol/retin a as well as acne and different skin conditions .She is all about ingredients ,what your skin really needs and not breaking the bank 

Good luck 

@marmarbrooklyn  I will check out this Youtube channel, thank you for taking time to post, I apprecaite it.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl  - I'd like to suggest a foundation to try that I've been using for the past few years.  It's Maybelline's Fit Me Dewy Smooth (they also have the matte & poreless version).  It's a moisturizing foundation that's not heavy.  There's a wide range of shades to choose from.  I apply it with a damp sponge (Real Techniques) and set with powder.

The foundation is less than 6.00 and the sponge is less than 5.00.  You can purchase them at different locations such as Walmart, Target, Ulta, etc.

Good luck.

fit me.jpg

Real tech.png

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  I saw this on TV today and thought.... oh, I should try that?!?! Then I just saw you post this, I am for sure going to try it, I am going to Target or Fred Meyer tomorrow so I will pick up a bottle, thank you for taking time to post about it, I appreciate it. Have a great night!

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl About 6 months or so ago ( maybe further back than that), I asked a similar question and explained how I was having issues I never had before. If you can search via my user name (I think that can be done under our names), you may be able to find it. Quite a few responded and with excellent suggestions (this a great group of women on this forum, let me tell ya).

I can only use milky cleansers (and some of them are too strong). Balms hurt because they pull on my skin when applied. Any cleaner with grains is simply too much. It's been a nightmare over the past couple of years and I can tell you that for ME, no one line does it all. I have products from multiple lines that appear to work together; thank goodness for samples.

I can only use a physical spf; chemical ones make my skin itch, burn and turn red. I use an spf 50 daily, not matter what (unless I'm ill and in bed). No skincream or spf tinted moisturizers or foundations with spf. Each product stands alone (I found my skin prefers that). 

Last, when I've messed up my skin with products/a product and it needs to heal; I wash it with warm water (no washcloth) and apply a soothing moisturizer that does NOTHING buy hydrate. And then that's it. I'll pat warm water on it and hydrate daily but no makeup, no cleansing, nothing else. Ideally, it's good to do this for 3-5 days, if not longer. BIG difference (dermatologist told me to do this).

Good luck with your skin. I know how hard it is. You're not alone, my friend. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not adding much but my derm recommended the following when I was having issues with contact dermatitis on my face: lay off anything aggressive (no retin a, aha/bha, vit c, etc) and use cerave pm (with ceramides and niacinamide) day and night. For really bad “patches” she recommended aquaphor at night and during the day if possible. If you have to go outside use a gentle mineral sunscreen, ELTA MD was recommended. If makeup is a necessity pure mineral is OK but it’s better to lay off if possible. Don’t add anything aggressive back in until you skin is back to normal. I have to do this routine from time to time if I’ve overdone aggressive topicals.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

As I get into my later 40's my skin is more sensitive, the retinols I have been using are now making my face feel irritated and stay pinkish well into the morning, even the Isomers Vitamin C serum that I was using just fine is making it somewhat sensitive.

I am really starting to see lines from sleeping on my side that no longer go away in the middle of the day, I feel I almost need to switch to something that will plump a little and also be okay for sensitive skin. I still have some uneven skin from tanning in my 20's that no amount of exfoliation, retinol or C has managed to take away, would like to work on that but now that my skin is more sensitive I'm not sure how.

Would love to hear what you think or suggestions for a line of Skin Care to look into.

ALSO, I have found that I can't use the tinted Moisturizer with SPF anymore - any suggestions for one W/OUT SPF?  Or, even foundation suggestions, I just don't like a heavy foundation or heavy coverage.

TIA!!  Happy Saturday  Smiley Happy

@SandGirl 

I'm a lot older than you but have ridiculously sensitive skin.  I can't use retinol products at all -- I wish!  Any how --- I think you will get relief from switching to all fragrance-free products.  For now, skip all types of scrubs and exfoiating products.  Good advice was given here about keeping your face moisturized.  I don't know whether products I use will work for you but will list them.  I currently use Cetphil gentle lotion skin cleanser.  Very moisturizing and no irritation.  I also use at times Simple Micellar Water.  It says no need to rinse but I always do.  For moisture, I use Eucerin Anti-Aging CoQ10 (sensisitve skin formula) -- it's fragrane free.  Laura Geller Balance and Brighten Powder Foundation is very gentle and is not mask like and a little covers well.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl wrote:

@Porcelain  Thank you for all the great info. I am using a Glycolic Cleanser - Ugh, I think I am going to need to go shopping, almost everything I have has eithervitt-c orglycolicc or something similar in it.  Very good tip, I need to just do very basics for a while and let my skin have a break and calm, the irritation is making my pores look larger too and I've never had large pores . Guess I'll be making a trip to Target orUltaa tomorrow.

I believe that is at least half of your problem. @SandGirl 

For me, any type of glycolic product will make the skin sensitive. If you're going to use any GA product then it really needs to be used with extra special care. It's best to not scrub or rub the skin, including GA cleansers, when using GA because that type of acid is highly caustic meaning it strips things a way and when you apply the rubbing and scrubbing...that can lead to unnecessary redness, dryness and inflammation. 

Frequent Contributor

@SandGirl 

I have sensitive skin and use Clinique products. Their DDML comes in a cream. It is very soothing to my very dry skin. I always come back to Clinique when I have over used acids. The price is higher than drug store options, but on the low end for prestige skin care. It’s also available in most department stores and Sephora and Ulta. Good luck to you. I have been there too.