Honored Contributor

Re: Anti Aging - Skin Care for Sensitive skin?

Many years ago, I was using all Philosophy skincare. WHINO Serum, followed by Hope In A Jar. The night routine had the Miracle products. My face was a mess! 

I took all the products to my derm. They ALL had (& think still do have) active ingredients. I was adding acids on top of retinols AM and PM and using the Exfoliating Wash, too.

It's so important to read labels!!!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

@Porcelain  Thank you for all the great info. I am using a Glycolic Cleanser - Ugh, I think I am going to need to go shopping, almost everything I have has eithervitt-c orglycolicc or something similar in it.  Very good tip, I need to just do very basics for a while and let my skin have a break and calm, the irritation is making my pores look larger too and I've never had large pores . Guess I'll be making a trip to Target orUltaa tomorrow.

I believe that is at least half of your problem. @SandGirl 

For me, any type of glycolic product will make the skin sensitive. If you're going to use any GA product then it really needs to be used with extra special care. It's best to not scrub or rub the skin, including GA cleansers, when using GA because that type of acid is highly caustic meaning it strips things a way and when you apply the rubbing and scrubbing...that can lead to unnecessary redness, dryness and inflammation. 

@SilleeMee  Okay, thank you.  I think you are right, I have been using the Glycolic in the morning then Isomers cleanser at night (it has tiny grains smells like tea tree) I have a few of those pesky enlarged oil glands so was using these hoping to keep them smaller and it does help some but must be making the rest of my face not so happy. Ugh - why do we always have to live and learn? This is getting old  HAHA!!!

Respected Contributor

@Luv pets wrote:

@SandGirl 

I have sensitive skin and use Clinique products. Their DDML comes in a cream. It is very soothing to my very dry skin. I always come back to Clinique when I have over used acids. The price is higher than drug store options, but on the low end for prestige skin care. It’s also available in most department stores and Sephora and Ulta. Good luck to you. I have been there too.

@Luv pets  (I love pets too)  Thank you! I used Clinique when I was a teenager but haven't used it sense. I plan to go to Ulta today so I will for sure take a look into a couple of their products in their sensitive line  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Many years ago, I was using all Philosophy skincare. WHINO Serum, followed by Hope In A Jar. The night routine had the Miracle products. My face was a mess! 

I took all the products to my derm. They ALL had (& think still do have) active ingredients. I was adding acids on top of retinols AM and PM and using the Exfoliating Wash, too.

It's so important to read labels!!!

@Shanus  Oh, I have a story about the Philosophy products, at least like 8-9 years ago I went to Nordstrom and they gave me a sample of their peel pads, I don't remember the name of it but it was a pre-soaked pad, I beleive you wiped it on then waiting and rinsed if I remember right, well the next moring I woke to my whole face in welts and red bumps / rashes, I had to miss 3 days of work and put predisone cream on my face, I took it to my derm and he read the ingredients, there were like 4 acids listed in the very top of the ingredient deck. I swore off Philosophy at that time, it's funny everyone just loves that Purity cleanser they make and I always hated it, the smell, I always broke out from it, so I haven't used Philosophy since my trip to the derm.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl   You just reminded me, besides the other products, I was also using a 2 Step Scrub system. You exfoliated w/ a yellow granular scrub, let it set and then put a liquid on top to further activate the "spa experience". My face was red and raw. 

Philosophy never says use just one product or the other. They try to sell the entire system. I haven't seen any lately, but they used to sell a full skincare kit...

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SandGirl   You just reminded me, besides the other products, I was also using a 2 Step Scrub system. You exfoliated w/ a yellow granular scrub, let it set and then put a liquid on top to further activate the "spa experience". My face was red and raw. 

Philosophy never says use just one product or the other. They try to sell the entire system. I haven't seen any lately, but they used to sell a full skincare kit...

@Shanus  Oh my!! Ya, they have a lot of exfoliating products that is for sure.  I was just searching and I wonder if First Aid Beauty would be a good option for me to use for a while, I have never used it but see it on the Q and Nordstrom, going to read up on it some more.

Esteemed Contributor

@SandGirl 

You are only in your 40s. Maybe your skin is not getting sensitive, as much as it is still acting young! Meaning that it is naturally exfoliating every 28 days. In which case, you may be upsetting your natural process by adding to the exfoliation with acids.

I did not start using gentle acids or retinol until I was mid 50.

An exception to this would be if your pores are clogging and you are experiencing acneic skin.

I think any good formulated moisturizer will include vitamins A, C & E, which are all antioxidants (the skin vitamins), but in the dose your skin can handle. You also may want to think about green tea, topically as well as internally.

Respected Contributor

First aid beauty has been a blessing to my aging, dry, sensitive skin.  The products have really made a difference.  I started by getting a kit at Sephora.  It had several trial size products.  I believe Ulta also carries these or you can get them online at their site.  Good luck

Respected Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

First aid beauty has been a blessing to my aging, dry, sensitive skin.  The products have really made a difference.  I started by getting a kit at Sephora.  It had several trial size products.  I believe Ulta also carries these or you can get them online at their site.  Good luck

@brandiwine  I am gla you mentioned this, I mentioned trying it a few posts up in a reply. Do you mind sharing what you are using? I went to their website and they have some great trial size kits for a great price!! I'm almost thinking this would be a good place for me to start.

Esteemed Contributor

A couple of years ago I hospitalized for several months and basically I was lucky if my face was wiped with water every few days.  I was shocked to find that this old, dry face was smooth and not dry.  Still had all my sagging and wrinkles.

Made me wonder if we are causing a lot of our issues.  Just a thought.