Respected Contributor

Anti Aging - Skin Care for Sensitive skin?

As I get into my later 40's my skin is more sensitive, the retinols I have been using are now making my face feel irritated and stay pinkish well into the morning, even the Isomers Vitamin C serum that I was using just fine is making it somewhat sensitive.

I am really starting to see lines from sleeping on my side that no longer go away in the middle of the day, I feel I almost need to switch to something that will plump a little and also be okay for sensitive skin. I still have some uneven skin from tanning in my 20's that no amount of exfoliation, retinol or C has managed to take away, would like to work on that but now that my skin is more sensitive I'm not sure how.

Would love to hear what you think or suggestions for a line of Skin Care to look into.

ALSO, I have found that I can't use the tinted Moisturizer with SPF anymore - any suggestions for one W/OUT SPF?  Or, even foundation suggestions, I just don't like a heavy foundation or heavy coverage.

TIA!!  Happy Saturday  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Anti Aging - Skin Care for Sensitive skin?

I just want to say ,do not go without spf,of at least 30 ,each and every day ,sun,clouds, no matter what month it is ,it is vital, take this from a almost 68 yr old.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

You might have a compromised skin barrier. That's often a source for sensitive skin. It also happens more easily as you get older. It happened to me too.

I'd recommend cutting down on acids, exfoliating, retinoids, and fragranced products for a while. Find a good basic moisturizer you can use by itself for a bit. Cerave lotion in the big pump is a good one, and so is the Cerave PM lotion. Restoring your ceramides is important.

Once your skin is calmed a bit, I'd recommend adding back an antioxidant serum and a hyaluronic acid serum. But you don't have to use Ascorbic Acid vitamin C as your antioxidant. There are several other types of antioxidants that aren't so acidic. A buffered C like SAP or MAP may be preferable. Also, try not to use exfoliating products more often than once a week.

For uneven skin tone, you can spot treat with more gentle skin lighteners like arbutin or kojic acid. You could also try Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments.

Oh and one last thing, check your cleanser to make sure it is mild and doesn't contain acids or fragrance. Gentle cleanser is very important to prevent stripping away your skin's lipid barrier.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain  Thank you for all the great info. I am using a Glycolic Cleanser - Ugh, I think I am going to need to go shopping, almost everything I have has either vit-c or glycolic or something similar in it.  Very good tip, I need to just do very basics for a while and let my skin have a break and calm, the irritation is making my pores look larger too and I've never had large pores . Guess I'll be making a trip to Target or Ulta tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

I have sensitive skin and cannot use any retinol or vitamin c serums.  Some spfs bother my skin too.  I’ve been using Paula’s Choice lately with good luck. Specifically I’ve been using  - PC Perfectly Balanced Foaming Cleanser, PC Enriched Calming Toner, PC Omega Complex Serum morning and night and every few days I use PC 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant at night in place of the toner. I also ordered a travel size of her Essential Glow Moisturizer with spf 30 and it does not irritate my facial skin like many SPFs.  I have some uneven skin tone and it has improved (but not entirely gone) since using this regimen.  

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@Porcelain  Thank you for all the great info. I am using a Glycolic Cleanser - Ugh, I think I am going to need to go shopping, almost everything I have has either vit-c or glycolic or something similar in it.  Very good tip, I need to just do very basics for a while and let my skin have a break and calm, the irritation is making my pores look larger too and I've never had large pores . Guess I'll be making a trip to Target or Ulta tomorrow.

Yes. When your skin gets irritated by acids and other products, you get inflammation too. Which can make your pores look larger. When in doubt, I just give my skin a vacation from everything except the basics.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain  I am glad I posed because I am thinking that is just what I need.  I just found a tiny sample of a gentle skin cleanser for sensitive skin, I'm gonna start using that today and then go shopping for some "simple" items you mentioned tomorrow.  Thank you again

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Depending on your age it can take anywhere from 3 days or up to a month until your lipid barrier returns to normal. Younger skin will do it faster but the key is keep the skin moisturized so it can repair itself. Dry skin makes repairs difficult and can extend healing time.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl   Everyone has great recommendations. I'd add using a satin pillowcase. It's much kinder to your skin as it allows your face to slide...hair, too. 

Valued Contributor

@SandGirl 

Hi I am 56 and have sensitive acne prone skin . I recently found the young dermatologist Dr Dray .who has her own YouTube channel .It has made a difference in my skin .After watching her I have found out that the biggest culprit of skin sensitivy is fragrance . . She has many videos on vitamin c ,retinol/retin a as well as acne and different skin conditions .She is all about ingredients ,what your skin really needs and not breaking the bank 

Good luck