Honored Contributor

Re: Anti-Aging Skin Care Strategies: Hopes, Realities, Possibilities

@Himi lover 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@1Professor  I have been experimenting with various skin care products throughtout the years.  I have to be careful... any variance from the routine products can be fraught with danger for me LOL

RetinA, Renova, Tretinoin gel... I have used successfully for 30 years -- I use this religiously.

I cleanse with MaryKay formula 1 cleanser... it is inexpensive and removes all traces of masacara, etc, at once.

Sunscreen HG and moisturizer HG are all LaRoche-Posay.

My mother was a Mary Kay consultant.  She had lots of fun doing this!  One of her "mantras" went something like this: "For every night you do not remove your make-up, your skin ages ??? ____ years."

Another mantra:  "Consistency is the key to success."

So, my skin-care routine is a must-do every day/night.  Anti-aging?  I don't really believe in that (turning back the hands of time).  Preventative care?  I do believe in that.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@shaina2 wrote:

You are so correct in what you hve written.  There is not a single serum or cream on the market that will prevent aging skin.  We should be thankful for the fact that we are aging.  My husbanc just passed away last year and he was only 69 of stage 4 matastatic cancer. He would have given anything to have lived longer.

((( shaina2 )))

I totally empathize; my dad was 49, my mom 65.

I agree with your post here and the one below. I lost my mom when she was only 64, my mother-in-law when she was only 58 and my aunt when she was only 31. As some anonymous person whom I can't remember once said something like "the lines on our faces show a life well lived". So let's all remember to smile and make sure those lines are happy ones with great memories.

Also, I love you nic. I have 4 feral cats we caught & saved, a rescued siamese mix and our eldest a balinese, so a total of 6 kitties in our household.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

While I agree that there are more important things than looks, I do not think there is anything wrong with trying to look your best. Finding the best products for your skin is very much a trial and error process. What works or one may not work for another. I agree that all the hype over some of these lotions and potions is misleading. There is nothing that can stop the signs of aging completely. 

The 3 products I use and swear by for my skin are:

1. SPF moisturizer - I have been using SPF on my face since I was a teen. 

2. BHA treatments help keep my skin clear. I like Paula's Choice 9%. 

3. Prescription Retin A - I started using this a year ago after trying OTC retinol products which didn't do anything for my skin. I just switched to the strongest strength in June. 

Btw I have had oily acne prone skin all my life and still do in my early 50s.

Honored Contributor

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@shaina2 wrote:

You are so correct in what you hve written.  There is not a single serum or cream on the market that will prevent aging skin.  We should be thankful for the fact that we are aging.  My husbanc just passed away last year and he was only 69 of stage 4 matastatic cancer. He would have given anything to have lived longer.

((( shaina2 )))

I totally empathize; my dad was 49, my mom 65.

I agree with your post here and the one below. I lost my mom when she was only 64, my mother-in-law when she was only 58 and my aunt when she was only 31. As some anonymous person whom I can't remember once said something like "the lines on our faces show a life well lived". So let's all remember to smile and make sure those lines are happy ones with great memories.

Also, I love you nic. I have 4 feral cats we caught & saved, a rescued siamese mix and our eldest a balinese, so a total of 6 kitties in our household.

My sympathies...

ITA re: character lines, especially smile/laugh lines.  :smileyhappy:

To me, they make all faces more interesting.

Your home sounds sounds so enjoyable with that six-pack of kitty mojo!  :cathappy:

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm convinced from my own experience that the ONLY things proven year after year are:

1) retinoids (prescription)

2) retinol (OTC)

3) vitamin C

4) glycolic Acid (AHA)

5) salicyclic acid (BHA)

6) sunscreen

I use all...sunscreen every day after a swipe of toner with # 4 and 5 in it followed by a pad that has liquid #3 each morning, and a combo of #1 and #2 each night mixed together.

Honored Contributor

I honestly want my face to always 'match' or 'blend in with' the rest of my body, especially my neck. 

But just a tad more youthful-looking.  ;-)

No one is BS'ing anyone when their complexion is too perfect or their face is too smooth (oy, that telltale cheek shine!) compared to the rest of their skin, LOL.

Especially since the skin on their hands and other areas has naturally aged.

Like Betty White says re: lying about your age:

"What's the point of trying to fool anybody?"

ITA, and have never/will never do that, coyly or otherwise.  (thanks, Mom!)

Valued Contributor

CoG wrote:

Not everyone can be beautiful but every woman can be attractive. 

Can't remember where I saw this on the net. It said:

I'm not beautiful like you. I'm beautiful like me.

Trusted Contributor

As far as peels go, I use the Fusion Peel from skin-peel.com. They often run specials.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

What's up with the multi color writing? Distracting and difficult to read, eyes hopping to the next color. Leave it to the reader to add emphasis.