Trusted Contributor

Another home coloring question

I got so many great answers when I asked a couple weeks ago about "is home coloring really worse than salon?"

I got a couple of Clairol Natural Instincts kits, and am waiting for an application brush from Amazon.  And gathering up the courage to do it.  Don't laugh, please?  Smiley Very Happy

Anyway - when I color my roots is it safe to draw more color down through the rest of my salon dyed hair?  My salon color is a faded out reddish brown and the product I purchased, on my niece's reccommendation, is a medium brown shade.

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another home coloring question

Yes!!!!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover Start with the roots. Part your hair all over & do all of the roots.

Leave that on for for the amount of time your color tells you.

Then the last 5 minutes draw it down through the rest of the hair.

It's not hard, but it may take a couple of times to see how long you need to let the color stay on, to get the coverage that you want.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLoverYes, you can.   The secret, according to my stylist who walked me through doing my own color, is to do the roots and let it begin to process.  Comb (brush) the color through to the rest of your head for the last 5 minutes or so.

The exact minutes are not critical but do keep in mind that the hair that's already been colored is more porous than the new growth and could be too dark if you pull it through all at once.

Good color to you!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm letting 'mother nature' take over right now Woman LOL - and I'm treating myself to head to toe treatments when things calm down. 

Esteemed Contributor

Daughter is non-practicing cosmetologist. She's home awaiting flight assignments for major airlines and helped me select a product that is so simple. Purchased at Walgreens. Clairol Root Touch-Up Color Blending Gel. $10.00. I applied on roots with thick, 'marker' applicator and left on for 10 minutes. With glove, I smeared the color around my roots and wasn't real careful regarding blending. Washed off in shower. It's perfect. Only used half the product. Bought light brown color. My hair has a smidge of red in it and the blending was perfect. I'm not entirely gray yet but color flowed from roots to professional color. Lasts 10 washings. I only used half the product. Will keep this product in my cabinet. Good luck.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Eventually after all the parting and applying to the roots, the entire head ends up getting covered anyway, dont worry it will be fine!! I have been home coloring for 30 years. Leave it on 5 extra minutes if you are very grey. 

Respected Contributor

I color my whole head, and don't use a special applicator.  It has always been fine.  I just work the color in, as if it was shampoo.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Lol! I just laugh at how rich the hairdressers are going to be fixing all of hair color disasters! I'm not about to ruin my hair because I can't wait until my hair appointment. Who's going to see me anyway stuck in my house? Lol!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I color my whole head, and don't use a special applicator.  It has always been fine.  I just work the color in, as if it was shampoo.

That is exactly what it is, shampoo in hair color!!!