Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another bad haircut! Could be the worst to date.

I feel your pain.....I finally have a stylist that I don't get stressed over when she takes out the scissors....If I say take off an inch....she takes off an inch..

Respected Contributor

I think hair cutting and styling is a talent that some have and some don't.   I think you can learn the basics but everyone has different hair and a good stylist should be able to cut it in the way that will look best for you and your particular hair.  Some don't even try to see if the sides are even.  I guess like all professsions, there are talented people and some should not be in that profession.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

If it were me I would ask my coworkers, friends, family, ladies at church, even ladies you see out in public (ones you like their haircut) where they go.  Google salons in your area, some of them will be rated.  I would chose a more pricey salon, they seem to have the best stylists.  When you find one ask them to do what is necessary to correct your bad cut.  If you like what she/he does then stick with them.  I wish you luck.

@Theresa1121

I agree. Take plenty of photos (great ones on Pinterest) of styles you do like, but ones that are a definite No. Since it will be a new stylist, set up a consultation appointment whether or not they charge for it...most good salons do not charge if you already have an appt. scheduled. Discuss what you hated about the haircuts you've been getting and what he/she thinks about a style/cut for you that looks best.

Sometimes we try to get our hair into a style that isn't appropriate for the texture, thickness or amount of curl for our hair. During the consultation, the stylist should be able to zero on that and let you know the possibilities. Good luck.