Contributor

Re: Another Beauty Line Goes Downhill. Tatcha bought by Unilever

A lot of start up companies have an "exit strategy" to be bought out.  The founders and investors make a tidy $$$ profit.  

Not surprised to see this happenign with Tatcha, as they started to change formualtions and introduce new products using cheaper ingredients to increase profits.

Also, Unilever has a history of toxic waste dumping at their sites.  And testing on animals.  

Trusted Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

so why do original creators sell out their "babies" when they have achieved a level of success after early struggles?  i know the corporate strategy of the buyout is to capture the product or to eradicate competition.  i think Dennis of Ojon really loves the creative process and returned to the marketplace - but not BareMinerals, Philosophy creators who took the $ and ran.

This is why I buy Paul Mitchell.

It is still a creator-owned business.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

so why do original creators sell out their "babies" when they have achieved a level of success after early struggles?  i know the corporate strategy of the buyout is to capture the product or to eradicate competition.  i think Dennis of Ojon really loves the creative process and returned to the marketplace - but not BareMinerals, Philosophy creators who took the $ and ran.

from what I have read there comes a time when a brand needs more money and investment if they want to grow a business.  I don't think it's "selling out" to sell your brand

you might be exhausted from the entire business , if you want more stores you need some type of investment.

personal life, family etc.   can't have both

Isn’t that the premise of Shark Tank?

(needing more $$ to grow)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate to see this happen too. Some of them at least make the appearance of keeping the founder's original vision (Laura Geller), but most are about decreasing the quality and increasing the quantity - and taking shortcuts.

I think Josie Maran is still independent, right?

Bobbi Brown was kind of forced out after she sold her company but continued to act as if she were still the creator for a number of years. 

I believe most of them have a sell-out clause where the original founder stays on as spokesperson for a specified period of time. Then we see them fade away to "pursue other avenues," or sit in their villas and count their millions! Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

@ClaudiaM 

Hello! 👋.  Thank you for your comment, I didn’t know Tatcha changed their formulations and started using different cheaper ingredients? I only first tried the line last summer after I ordered the TSV.  Do you mind saying which products have changed and how, so I can avaoid them! Thanks 😁

Honored Contributor

When I first read this a couple weeks ago, I bit my tongue.  Maybe it will be different this time, I told myself.  We, the QVC customers, have put these lines on the map.  I'm glad the originalj owners can profit from all their hard work, but I hate the changes these big corporations introduce.  Ojon is the worst example, are they even around anymore?  Josie Maran is the next to fall, I'm guessing.  

Contributor

The silk cream, indigo cream and rice powders have changed.

Also their new water and dewy creams are made with dimethicone listed as a key ingredient. There’s nothing wrong with that as that is found in many drugstore moisturizers. The ingredients are listed on the product page.

It appears that this premium brand is now formulated like a decent drugstore brand, though with a premium price tag. And not really based on an ancient ritual.
Respected Contributor

I  will be so upset if Jose sells her company.  I love her products and besides the Tachta cleansing oil, I only use her products.  I have tried so many and always go back to her Argon oil.  It is a must for me.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals you might try Dr. Young's Camellia Cleansing Oil on Amazon.  That's what I use, and I know several others here use it as well.

Super Contributor

@ClaudiaM 

Thank you! Yes this line is way too expensive to be premium drugstore quality.  It is a shame but I understand the financial reason for wanting to sell the line. I won’t be purchasing any more Tatcha because I don’t use any products tested on animals and Unilever tests on animals, and now knowing they’ve already cheapened some of the formulas.  I too really hope Josie doesn’t sell hers, that will be a very sad day for me if she does.