Honored Contributor

Re: Annoying sales people in Sephora....

[ Edited ]

It’s Sephora’s Sales Model to be low pressure.

Are you sure you were in a Sephora?

If so, I believe a lot of people are a pinch intimidated when they walk in,

which could cause the ‘they’re pressuring me’ or ‘following me around.’

Respected Contributor

I am not intimidated by sales people especially since I have worked in retail.  I usually tell them I am just looking around and if I have a question I will find them.  I might say I love to smell and try some of the lotions etc. and will let them know if I need help.  However, after saying that 6-10+ times it gets old.  Especially if the same girl comes up several times not realizing she has said it to me already. I wrote an email to sephora to see what they say.  I love smelling and reading ingredients and colors take time to decide on. Going to makeup stores is such a pleasure for me.  I am not a big clothing shopper but love lotions and potions and makeup. I don't like it when they ruin it for me. 

Respected Contributor

Also I know what store I was in.  Not senile yet.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@chiclet  I haven't noticed this in Sephora...but starting a few years ago there must have been a policy change at TJMax.  The staff starts stalking within minutes of entering the store.  I have never been in any other store where the staff so aggressively asks if they can help or if you are finding everything....in other works making their presence blatantly known.  I wonder if there is a response that lets them know that you are aware of what they are doing and NO I'm not a shop lifter.  It is a minor inconvenience, but one that makes the shopping experience less enjoyable.  I like how @jackthebear mentioned she responses....with a smile "I'll let uou know if I need help"....I think this will be my go to answer.

thanks ♥

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Everytime I go to a sephora unless they are soooo crowded, sales people are so annoying.  I know it is their job to do that so I am patient with them.  I have worked in retail sales.  I bet in about 15 minutes I had some ask about needing help 15 times. I finally just left.  I guess that is why I like Ulta better.  You usually get asked once or twice but they leave you alone after that.  Sephora just would not leave me alone.  I think I will write to their headquarters.

@chiclet

That has been my experience as well. I detest going into Sephora simply because I hate to be pestered. No, for the millionth time I do not need help. LOL!! Of the two I prefer Ulta as well.

Honored Contributor

I prefer Sephora for the samples, but I prefer Ulta for the low-key sales personnel in my city!!!!!!! I can't stand to be pestered when I am just looking. I love to look at makeup and perfume, etc.....So ask me once or even twice is fine, but then leave me alone and I will find you if I have a question.......That goes for any store, and I hate to be followed around too-I will politely say something when that happens........If it persists, I will usually leave that store........

Trusted Contributor

What I can’t tolerate, especially in department stores, is when a sales person sneaks up behind me and asks if they can help. A couple of times I’ve been scared out of my wits because this voice comes out of the blue unexpectedly. Why don’t these sales people walk up and face you before they speak. Happens all the time to me.  Sometimes I’ll turn around and ask if they’re speaking to me. 

Honored Contributor

My guess is, that management has asked them to greet and be helpful and offer their assistance and to keep following up with the customers.  It’s annoying for sure.

The TJMax stores and a few others where I live have those shopping carts with a pole and flag on top so that you can be seen between the isles.  They don’t pressure me, but it’s weird to use those carts.  The stores also have those big round cameras all over to keep an eye on you.

it’s sad when there are more shoplifters than paying customers.  I prefer to shop on line when I can.

Esteemed Contributor

Both Sephora and Tjmaxx have had shoplifting problems in my area.  I haven't been pestered in Sephora but Tjmaxx has cashiers that push their credit card to the extreme.  One cashier actually begged me to open one after I declined.  Another asked me twice in a 2 minute span if I wanted one.  

Respected Contributor

My Sephoras are the opposite.  Very nice and helpful, but not in your face.  The Ulta's in my area are a pain.  Employees act like they're doing you a favor by helping.  Mostly, they just ignore you.  Not trained in helping you color match.