Respected Contributor

The owner has little business sense.  The receptionist is not that bright.  You may be happier going elsewhere.

Trusted Contributor

My salon is small, 6 hairdressers and each one makes his/her own appointment. I get a text and an email from whatever system they use confirming and if I have to make a change I text my hairdresser directly. I also get a reminder text and email a day or two before.

It works so well. I assumed that is how pretty much all salons were doing it.

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

My salon is small, 6 hairdressers and each one makes his/her own appointment. I get a text and an email from whatever system they use confirming and if I have to make a change I text my hairdresser directly. I also get a reminder text and email a day or two before.

It works so well. I assumed that is how pretty much all salons were doing it.

i go to 2 different places one uses a website to take appts, which is really nice and b/c there's no phone calls  or very few it's very quiet there. 

the other one doesn't , 

i prefer making an appt over the website, you can all the times your guy has available and I get a text confirmation 

not sure why the other doesn't -

Respected Contributor
If I had a good stylist I would go back in a heartbeat!
I have yet to find a great one here. I have been her 4 very long years.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Imaoldhippie 

Thanks but since I do not drive and uber is 8 dollars each way its really not worth it, this woman can not do her job, this is not the first time she has mucked around with my appointments

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I believe I would have gone to the salon in person to correct the change in appointment, seeing that she wrote it down on the correct day and time and ask her give me a card with the correct date and time as proof.

You still have time to have it changed.  Its a hassle to be sure.

I don't blame you for not going in person.  I drive, but I wouldn't do that.  A phone call should be sufficient.

If this happened once and I was happy otherwise, I would let it go.  But now you're saying it's not the first time, so I think you should speak to the stylist.  Not only for your sake, but the stylist should know that the receptionist is messing up appointments and making errors because it impacts him/her too.   I also might speak to the manager/owner.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Those who say they would go back into the salon & deal with the issue must live in a very small town. Maybe one stop llight. Not realistic for most of us. 

I agree.

And it shouldn't be necessary.  I would think twice about going to a salon with staff so unreliable that I felt I had to follow up to be sure they got it right.

I also don't see how an appointment time written on a card does much other than prove that at some point I was given a particular appointment time.  If an error was made and that time was also given to someone else, there will still be a problem to be worked out when I arrived.  The receptionist can also say that I had called to cancel or change it.  So I don't see an appointment time written on a card as being particularly helpful.

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
If I had a good stylist I would go back in a heartbeat!
I have yet to find a great one here. I have been her 4 very long years.

last time I needed a new place I just googled locally then read reviews.  worked out OK

Honored Contributor

My cousin used to work at a salon and the owner's mother was the receptionist.  Everything was done on a computer, not handwritten in a book like in years past.  To say the owner's mother was a nightmare is putting things mildly.  And the owner knew of all the problems but what are you going to do? Fire your mother?

Half the time clients were told an appointment time that was different than what was scheduled in the computer.  Many times she booked people with the wrong hairstylist and many times she forgot to actually enter you into the computer so you never really had an appointment.  I was very happy when my cousin left there.  LOL

That being said, I know what a headache it can cause a stylist to have appointments canceled.  I always make my next appointment before I leave the salon from my current service and unless it's an emergency, I keep my appointment.  Most of the time my stylist is so booked, if I had to cancel,  it would be weeks before I'd get into her again.  

Respected Contributor
Jackthebear, thanks, I will give this a shot. I have thick curly auburn hair. They always see me and reach for a razor. It tears the cuticle of my hair and then I am frizzy! Sometimes I would look better holding a mop over my head.😁
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

My cousin used to work at a salon and the owner's mother was the receptionist.  Everything was done on a computer, not handwritten in a book like in years past.  To say the owner's mother was a nightmare is putting things mildly.  And the owner knew of all the problems but what are you going to do? Fire your mother?

Half the time clients were told an appointment time that was different than what was scheduled in the computer.  Many times she booked people with the wrong hairstylist and many times she forgot to actually enter you into the computer so you never really had an appointment.  I was very happy when my cousin left there.  LOL

That being said, I know what a headache it can cause a stylist to have appointments canceled.  I always make my next appointment before I leave the salon from my current service and unless it's an emergency, I keep my appointment.  Most of the time my stylist is so booked, if I had to cancel,  it would be weeks before I'd get into her again.  

@Lipstickdiva   Ugh!  Sounds like my dentist!  His mother in law is the receptionist and will often get appointments wrong.  Just the last time I went she called to remind me that my appointment was the next day at 1:30...then she called back a few minutes later to say it was at 1pm.  So I went at 1pm (I had originally written 1:30) only to have her tell me that it was really 1:30 ....not a big deal to wait an extra half hour but still some what annoying!