Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I am will not change my schedule to fit the receptionists mistake, life changes, drs appointment come up and I make changes. I am more than flexiable but this is the day before vacation. The receptionist is not very sharp and she changed an appointment with out my knowledge.

Only cancel for a dire reason, wow I do not know what to say to a comment like that

@Carmie wrote:

From a business point of view.  When you cancel and try to reschedule an appointment it can " throw the books off" and mess up the whole days scheduling. Every client gets a time blocked out for a duration depending on the seevice they are getting.  A wash, cut and blow dry might take 30 minutes, where as a two process color for the first  time might need 1.5 hours.

Some appointments are made months in advance.  For example, someone might get their hair cut on the first of the month, every month.

If you make an appointment, you should try to honor it, unless there is an emergency. Clients who cancel, or keep changing the date or time of the appointment are a PITA and are sometimes dropped by the salon if they do it often enough.

the salon in question seems to have a receptionist who gets confused easily, or bothered by the calls to change things.  

If you really like the stylist, I suggest you make your next appointment after getting your hair done while you are paying your bill.  Get a business card that shows the time and date of your next appointment and keep the appointment you made.

Only cancel and reschedule for dire reasons.  Your stylists's time is Importent as is yours.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

You could call the salon and ask to talk to your stylist. Let her know what happened and that you had to make an appointment at another salon. Either the stylist will be alarmed and quickly fix everything and get a manager involved if needed--or you will be happier (I hope) at the new (better organized) salon.

That's what I would do.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

What would I do?    

Depends on my hair situation.  If I was having a hair emergency, I'd just go somewhere else.

If it's not an emergency - reschedule.

Enough real important stuff going on in my life.  I'm not going to waste energy worrying about a messed up appointment.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

No manager small local salon, 4 or 5 hair cutters and 3 assistants, it is owned by a young women with little busienss sense

@Porcelain wrote:

You could call the salon and ask to talk to your stylist. Let her know what happened and that you had to make an appointment at another salon. Either the stylist will be alarmed and quickly fix everything and get a manager involved if needed--or you will be happier (I hope) at the new (better organized) salon.

That's what I would do.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Call me confused but if you tried to change the appt. for March 19 thats 2 weeks out.

Call your stylist DIRECT i'm certain that she could  try to fit you in!   adjust your schedule if necessary if she can only see you at an odd time.

or wait until you get back from vacay

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Porcelain 

No manager small local salon, 4 or 5 hair cutters and 3 assistants, it is owned by a young women with little busienss sense

@Porcelain wrote:

That's what I would do.

Then unless they were my family members, I'd leave them to their problems. Visiting a salon is supposed to be relaxing. They need to manage things behind the scenes to make the experience seamless and pleasant for patrons. I wouldn't waste the time or the agita trying to get their act together for them. Plenty of salons in the sea.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox   I really didn't think you would like my comment. I made a comment based on the business side of things. There are two sides to every story.  I have been on both sides.

You are one of maybe hundreds of patrons to that salon.  Things coming up and doctor appointments are not reasons to cancel and reschedule a hair appointment unless it is an emergency.

Your time, you doctor's time and your hairdresser's time are all equally important.

Sometimes mistakes are made.  One time I had to take off of work half a day to go to a doctor's appointment...vacation day used.  I went in and gave my name to the receptionist and she said " Have a seat, we will call you when ready for you."

So, I sat down and waited.  Patients were coming in and getting called back and I was still sitting there.  After about an hour and a half, I went back to the receptionist and asked her when I would be seen.

She asked who my doctor was and when I told her, she said he was on vacation and would not be in all week....then she said everyone was called and rescheduled..yeah, everyone but me.  Was I annoyed...you bet I was.  My time and my vacation time was wasted.  What can I say, sometimes mistakes happen.

I am a hairdresser.  I no longer work in a shop,,but I still own a salon and employ a manager and currently have three other stylists. Two years ago, I was going to Florida for the whole month of February and the girl who does my hair had an emergency with her child.  I was called and my appointment was cancelled at the last minute (same day) No one else had time to fit me in and I was leaving the next day.

My hair needed cut badly and I had to go another month without a hair cut.  I waited until the last minute to get my hair done  so my hair would look nice while I was away and my plan backfired.  Was I happy...no.  But that is life.

I would change my schedule to get an appointment if I really needed one, even if a mistake was made.  

If you are not happy, there are other places to go.  The best stylists are always booked up and getting an appointment with them can be difficult.  You might need to adjust your schedule to get in.  Your choice.

I am sorry you have to go on vacation without getting your hair done by your favorite stylist.  I personally know how upsetting that is.  I hope your new stylist does your hair to your satisfaction.

Honored Contributor

There is not much you can do.  Either schedule another appt. or go elsewhere.  It sounds like they are not too bright.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Annoyed with hair salon

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

Give me a break, I changed my appoinment 16 days out, it ws not like I gave her a days notice. I have been there many times and waited 20 minutes because she was over booked. 

I am sorry we do not see eye to eye.

When it comes down to it, it is my choice where I spend my hard earned money

I do thinks that make my life convient

End of story

@Carmie wrote:

@I am still oxox   I really didn't think you would like my comment. I made a comment based on the business side of things. There are two sides to every story.  I have been on both sides.

You are one of maybe hundreds of patrons to that salon.  Things coming up and doctor appointments are not reasons to cancel and reschedule a hair appointment unless it is an emergency.

Your time, you doctor's time and your hairdresser's time are all equally important.

Sometimes mistakes are made.  One time I had to take off of work half a day to go to a doctor's appointment...vacation day used.  I went in and gave my name to the receptionist and she said " Have a seat, we will call you when ready for you."

So, I sat down and waited.  Patients were coming in and getting called back and I was still sitting there.  After about an hour and a half, I went back to the receptionist and asked her when I would be seen.

She asked who my doctor was and when I told her, she said he was on vacation and would not be in all week....then she said everyone was called and rescheduled..yeah, everyone but me.  Was I annoyed...you bet I was.  My time and my vacation time was wasted.  What can I say, sometimes mistakes happen.

I am a hairdresser.  I no longer work in a shop,,but I still own a salon and employ a manager and currently have three other stylists. Two years ago, I was going to Florida for the whole month of February and the girl who does my hair had an emergency with her child.  I was called and my appointment was cancelled at the last minute (same day) No one else had time to fit me in and I was leaving the next day.

My hair needed cut badly and I had to go another month without a hair cut.  I waited until the last minute to get my hair done  so my hair would look nice while I was away and my plan backfired.  Was I happy...no.  But that is life.

I would change my schedule to get an appointment if I really needed one, even if a mistake was made.  

If you are not happy, there are other places to go.  The best stylists are always booked up and getting an appointment with them can be difficult.  You might need to adjust your schedule to get in.  Your choice.

I am sorry you have to go on vacation without getting your hair done by your favorite stylist.  I personally know how upsetting that is.  I hope your new stylist does your hair to your satisfaction.

Respected Contributor

Anyone can make an error, whether they are "bright" or not. 

It is up to you if you want to continue to go to that salon, and your tolerance for repeat errors (if any).  I stopped going to Massage Envy because of a mix up in appointments - and their reluctance to take responsibility.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York