Respected Contributor

@riley1  actually no I think that’s so dangerous for the dog. And our dogs were never chained. We had a fenced yard where we would run around and play with him/her and they would chase birds, etc. Our dogs were also part of our family growing up, but they are animals.  My mom had a huge aversion to dog hair all over the house and on clothing, as do I. Hence, I do not own animals.  She felt if its on the furniture, its in your food and she is correct.  That’s why they spent most of the day outside. But back in the 60s and 70s, everyone in the neighborhood who had a dog kept them outside. Its just that now for some reason, animals have gained people status and I cannot understand that...but that’s just me. I would never harm any animal, but to me, there ahould be boundaries.  We all have different opinions and wouldn’t the world be so totally boring if we all thought the same.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Anonymous032819 @suzyQ3 - Dehorning a goat is somewhat controversial.

A goat's horns serve to regulate body temperature in hot weather especially.  An Angora goat should never be dehorned for that reason.

And, if a goat is going to be dehorned, it should be done by a veterinarian at a very early age, before the horns perforate the skin.  Otherwise, it can cause serious damage.

The horns also serve as protection (much like a cat's claws) but, yes, they can be dangerous depending on the circumstances.  Goats are playful and rambunctious.  My take would be, if you can't leave them alone, don't have a goat as a pet.  But that's just my opinion.

I can't remember what TV show it was but it was about a woman and her young children who had goats and one of the goats would habitually charge at people...and her children, too. The woman had a vet come to her house and remove the goats horns for safety reasons. She was afraid the goat would injure someone.

Trusted Contributor

@OldNana80 wrote:

There is something about having those two live goats on the sets that is unsettling to

me.  Gary Goban was afraid they would jump on him and I am sure the models would

not like it either.  Who cleans us their "waste matter"?  Seeing those live goats just turns me off and I don't even want to hear the presentation about the products. JMHO.

They're baby goats for heavens sake!  If Gary's afraid of a baby goat, he needs to "man up."  JMHO!

Honored Contributor

I keep wondering how they get the goats to QVC from the farm.  Maybe they just get them locally from Hertz Rent-A-Goat?  Surely they don't take them on airplanes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@OldNana80 wrote:

There is something about having those two live goats on the sets that is unsettling to

me.  Gary Goban was afraid they would jump on him and I am sure the models would

not like it either.  Who cleans us their "waste matter"?  Seeing those live goats just turns me off and I don't even want to hear the presentation about the products. JMHO.

I bet the cleanup crew are interns......

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I keep wondering how they get the goats to QVC from the farm.  Maybe they just get them locally from Hertz Rent-A-Goat?  Surely they don't take them on airplanes.

LOL!!Woman LOL @Kachina624 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Anonymous032819 @suzyQ3 - Dehorning a goat is somewhat controversial.

A goat's horns serve to regulate body temperature in hot weather especially.  An Angora goat should never be dehorned for that reason.

And, if a goat is going to be dehorned, it should be done by a veterinarian at a very early age, before the horns perforate the skin.  Otherwise, it can cause serious damage.

The horns also serve as protection (much like a cat's claws) but, yes, they can be dangerous depending on the circumstances.  Goats are playful and rambunctious.  My take would be, if you can't leave them alone, don't have a goat as a pet.  But that's just my opinion.

I can't remember what TV show it was but it was about a woman and her young children who had goats and one of the goats would habitually charge at people...and her children, too. The woman had a vet come to her house and remove the goats horns for safety reasons. She was afraid the goat would injure someone.

@SilleeMee    The vet should have cut something else off too.  He should have been neutered.  Removes aggressive tendencies.

Honored Contributor

I think the vet did that, too, right after the horn job. @Kachina624 

Honored Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

@OldNana80 wrote:

They're baby goats for heavens sake!  If Gary's afraid of a baby goat, he needs to "man up."  JMHO!

@Phantom41.  Those weren't baby goats.  When one of the boys holds a goat in his arms, that's a baby.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think the vet did that, too, right after the horn job. @Kachina624 

@SilleeMee, please don't ever say "horn job" again. Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland