Honored Contributor

Re: Angie "Hot and Flashy"

[ Edited ]

@amyb wrote:

Agreed. I do like Angie's videos, but I watched the recent brush one and it really, imo, was "too much ado about brushes." I still have brushes I've had from years ago, still going strong, a mix from Laura Geller, Bare Minerals and Mally sets from the past. I have basically all the sizes and shapes Angie has in her set.

Seems, lately, everything has just gotten a bit "over the top" "specialized" "hyped" and expensive.

Much as I enjoy many "influencers", and I know it's their job and they need to monetize things, get paid for sponsering products & eventually sell their own, and that's the business model. All that said....lately....it's getting tedious that everywhere I look online SOMEone is trying to sell me SOMEthing. That's when I step away...take a breather...go outside, read a book, look at nature, take a walk, go cook something...anything to get a away from everyone "chatting me up" to sell me something. I can get wrapped up in it for a while, but then, enough.

I know...a bit of a rant there....but I agree, just a lot of hype to justify the $125.00 price tag, imo. Not that they don't look nice, but too much. And...all the very specific instruction on just how each tip and angle work....I've put my makeup on my whole life just fine with a few brushes, and some are very interchangeable. Just sayin'.

@amyb   I've stepped away from many youtubers I used to watch frequently. Besides the ones hawking makeup and skincare, some can make it seem you're inferior  with certain clothing, closet organization, house decor, etc. It IS tedious and I just crossed them off my subscription list. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@amyb wrote:

Agreed. I do like Angie's videos, but I watched the recent brush one and it really, imo, was "too much ado about brushes." I still have brushes I've had from years ago, still going strong, a mix from Laura Geller, Bare Minerals and Mally sets from the past. I have basically all the sizes and shapes Angie has in her set.

Seems, lately, everything has just gotten a bit "over the top" "specialized" "hyped" and expensive.

Much as I enjoy many "influencers", and I know it's their job and they need to monetize things, get paid for sponsering products & eventually sell their own, and that's the business model. All that said....lately....it's getting tedious that everywhere I look online SOMEone is trying to sell me SOMEthing. That's when I step away...take a breather...go outside, read a book, look at nature, take a walk, go cook something...anything to get a away from everyone "chatting me up" to sell me something. I can get wrapped up in it for a while, but then, enough.

I know...a bit of a rant there....but I agree, just a lot of hype to justify the $125.00 price tag, imo. Not that they don't look nice, but too much. And...all the very specific instruction on just how each tip and angle work....I've put my makeup on my whole life just fine with a few brushes, and some are very interchangeable. Just sayin'.

@amyb   I've stepped away from many youtubers I used to watch frequently. Besides the one hawking makeup and skincare, some can make it seem you're superior  with certain clothing, closet organization, house decor, etc. It IS tedious and I just crossed them off my subscription list. 

I think soon I will have had my fill also...and will step away. I am actually new to it, only really discovered and started following Angie and a few others, this past summer. Like everything else...they "overkill it" and everything has it's cycle I guess. Also, I'm definitely not the "makeup hound" (for lack of a better term, lol) that some of these ladies are, but I take the info I want from them, and I have learned some things, and I leave the rest.

My YT page used to come up with a variety of things...now it's JUST these few I follow...so I may unsubscribe too, just to get the variety back on my home page!

Respected Contributor

I like Angie and have followed her for years. I do think she has quite a bit of relevant content. I have personally chatted with her about an item I bought at her recommendation, and I think she is a genuine person. I would have loved to have had her new brush set, but I don't wear makeup often and couldn't justify the price. I currently use Real Techniques brushes and have been happy with them...love that they have the name of the brush on the handle...so I am passing on Angie's.

Esteemed Contributor

I can see where a makeup artist would need good brushes, but I don't think the average person needs to spend $$$ on a makeup brush. As long as it does the job, that's all that matters. 

Might as well save the money on brushes and spend it on other items. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Regular Contributor

I like that channel but I haven't needed a new brush in years.  I have ELF, Bare Minerals, Smashbox, Laura Geller brushes and I actually have too many brushes.  All have lasted more than 10 years.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think that around $18 a brush is that expensive.  I have a few BK Beauty brushes and they are a nice quality.  I just wish they were selling Angie's brushes individually.  There are a couple that I would like to have (especially the concealer brush), but I don't need all of them.

I have a lot of brushes in all price ranges and I find that I reach for the more expensive ones almost all the time.  Not because I paid more for them, but because they perform better.  There's a pretty big difference between some brush brands. I wear a full face of make up every day and I love to play with my eyes, so brushes are very important in my application.

Respected Contributor
While I think quality makeup brushes really do make a big difference, I also think there are a lot of brushes of perfectly acceptable quality available at very reasonable prices.

If I made my living doing makeup or with my face (as a model or tv personality for example), then, yes, high end brushes would be essential. I don’t, I’m just making myself presentable. Real Techniques, Elf, and Ecotools have some perfectly serviceable products that meet my needs at budget prices. But I do see a difference in the quality between these and the IT and BK brushes I have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BK Beauty already had a set of brushes so I'm not sure why this collab (yeah I said it) was needed.  What is the difference with this set and the set already sold by them.

There are some very good brushes that don't cost a lot of money.  Some of my favorite brushes that I reach for over and over are ELF brushes that I picked up from Dollar Tree.  I also have some higher end brushes from Sephora, IT, Lancome and Estee Lauder.  I reach for my ELF more. 

The things that will make me toss a brush are shedding and if the hairs aren't soft and poke me.  I also would never consider a brush set that wasn't cruelty free fibers. 

BK Beauty isn't a brush company.  It is a company started by a former MAC make-up artist and trainer.  She also has a YouTube channel called LisaJmakeup where she does a lot of make-up tutorials along with other content.  Her company launched an eyeshadow palette as well.  I want to think that Lisa sent the palette to several influencers, one of them being Angie, who then did a video using the palette.         

As an aside, I really don't get the big deal with Angie though either.  

Respected Contributor

@michmi wrote:

I like that channel but I haven't needed a new brush in years.  I have ELF, Bare Minerals, Smashbox, Laura Geller brushes and I actually have too many brushes.  All have lasted more than 10 years.

Exactly. Same here. I must have about 20-25 brushes collected with makeup kits over the years...I use the same 2-3  each day, on average. I have some duplicates also. They are all still in great condition (I clean them, not as often maybe as I should, but every few months.) Like you said...I haven't bought or needed brushes for two decades!

I should count...probably more than 25...as I think of it.

Honored Contributor

For me brushes are important but I don't want to pay premium price for them.  Recently I saw a YT video - can't remember who, it may have been H&F Angie - that talked about the size of the head of the brush and how that makes a difference - esp for those of us with aging and hooded eyes - on applying eyeshadow and getting it where you want it.  So took the advice and went and purchased some Morphe brushes that were smaller headed brushes and oh my what a difference!  It made applying my eyeshadow so much easier and more precise.  Anyway, after all that rambling, brushes are important to me and I have a few from different brands but don't see the need to spend premium prices for them.