Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Agreed. I do like Angie's videos, but I watched the recent brush one and it really, imo, was "too much ado about brushes." I still have brushes I've had from years ago, still going strong, a mix from Laura Geller, Bare Minerals and Mally sets from the past. I have basically all the sizes and shapes Angie has in her set.

Seems, lately, everything has just gotten a bit "over the top" "specialized" "hyped" and expensive.

Much as I enjoy many "influencers", I know it's their job and they need to monetize things, get paid for sponsering products & eventually sell their own, and that's the business model. All that said....lately....it's getting tedious that everywhere I look online SOMEone is trying to sell me SOMEthing. That's when I step away...take a breather...go outside, read a book, look at nature, take a walk, go cook something...anything to get a away from everyone "chatting me up" to sell me something. I can get wrapped up in it for a while, but then, enough.

I know...a bit of a rant there....but I agree, just a lot of hype to justify the $125.00 price tag, imo. Not that they don't look nice, but too much. And...all the very specific instruction on just how each tip and angle work....I've put my makeup on my whole life just fine with a few brushes, and some are very interchangeable. Just sayin'.

@amyb   That's why they're called "influencers". They're paid to influence you to purchase a product they're given by a company, hawk their own products, etc.

I stopped watching one my favorites, Ms. Gold Girl (Marnie). She designed a bag in collaboration with a company and she discusses it or wears it or it's on the floor next to her makeup chair or when she models clothing sponsored by WM or Nordstrom or Amazon in many videos...after awhile it does get annoying.  Many influencers are involved in these "collabs" now to advertise for companies or stores. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@amyb wrote:

Agreed. I do like Angie's videos, but I watched the recent brush one and it really, imo, was "too much ado about brushes." I still have brushes I've had from years ago, still going strong, a mix from Laura Geller, Bare Minerals and Mally sets from the past. I have basically all the sizes and shapes Angie has in her set.

Seems, lately, everything has just gotten a bit "over the top" "specialized" "hyped" and expensive.

Much as I enjoy many "influencers", I know it's their job and they need to monetize things, get paid for sponsering products & eventually sell their own, and that's the business model. All that said....lately....it's getting tedious that everywhere I look online SOMEone is trying to sell me SOMEthing. That's when I step away...take a breather...go outside, read a book, look at nature, take a walk, go cook something...anything to get a away from everyone "chatting me up" to sell me something. I can get wrapped up in it for a while, but then, enough.

I know...a bit of a rant there....but I agree, just a lot of hype to justify the $125.00 price tag, imo. Not that they don't look nice, but too much. And...all the very specific instruction on just how each tip and angle work....I've put my makeup on my whole life just fine with a few brushes, and some are very interchangeable. Just sayin'.

@amyb   That's why they're called "influencers". They're paid to influence you to purchase a product they're given by a company, hawk their own products, etc.

I stopped watching one my favorites, Ms. Gold Girl (Marnie). She designed a bag in collaboration with a company and she discusses it or wears it or it's on the floor next to her makeup chair or when she models clothing sponsored by WM or Nordstrom or Amazon in many videos...after awhile it does get annoying.  Many influencers are involved in these "collabs" now to advertise for companies or stores. 

I know. It's just new ways to sell things is all. Used to be we were only exposed to being sold when we "went" shopping...different world now...it's everywhere, 24/7. And...of course we all can get sucked in because in between the selling it starts off entertaining, and heck...we're sitting there with iPad in hand, surfing away...all good to a point. Then, at least for me...I wake up and say...Enough of this *&^% time, to step away from the screen....😵‍💫

On a similar note...I can't help but laugh at Jill B. from Q, who, when she first left Q, (and had a non-compete agreement with them), I recall her looking into the camera of FB and sayiing "oh nooooo, no, I won't be selling anything to you, ever!!" (she might have had her fill for a while, and plus that non-compete thing)...of course now she has her JustJillshop, and everytime she's "connecting with friends"...she's selling. Looks like she kind of patterned her online shop like her friend Carolyn Pollack's page...looks like a similar platform. 

I'm not even saying it's all bad, just overkill lately from EVERYone and their sister/brother is a wanna be "influencer"...and in JB's case was funny to me, because she was so adamant about "never selling you anything!!" 

Honored Contributor

Re: Angie "Hot and Flashy"

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus , I bought that bag and it is a fabulous bag.  I did buy it on sale but this is probably one of the few bags I can honestly say that I would pay full price for. 

I had no idea who she was when I came across the bag and when I started to Google for more info., I found her.  I have since watched a few of her videos on her channel and I don't have the same feeling as you do.  If she didn't use her bag, I'd think something was wrong with it and I'm guessing she'd take heat for not carrying her own handbag.  

And no offense but you've posted about getting PR from companies. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   Receiving PR and collaborating on an item to sell and make money are 2 different things. 

Respected Contributor
Her set is mainly small eye shadow brushes. Just 1 large brush

Ulta has 40% off Real Techniques and Eco Tools brushes.
Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

If it was mentioned in this thread, sorry, I missed it.  What does the "hot and flashy" mean?  Is this a brand name, or something else?  thanks

Honored Contributor

It's  the name of the You Tube channel.  

Trusted Contributor

I've enjoyed a number of her videos, but there is no way I'm buying that brush set.

Do the math.
Contributor
Love Angie's channel but the $125 is a bit much for me. I have various brushes that I've found peace with. I thought about it though. Christmas is coming....DH would be like, you want me to spend $125 on WHAT? Lol
Respected Contributor

Re: Angie "Hot and Flashy"

[ Edited ]

@JeanKC wrote:
Love Angie's channel but the $125 is a bit much for me. I have various brushes that I've found peace with. I thought about it though. Christmas is coming....DH would be like, you want me to spend $125 on WHAT? Lol

The set is $125?? That's crazy! 

Please forgive me for not reading all 5 pages, watching her video or knowing the price til now.