Respected Contributor

Re: An update on my Drunk Elephant Vit C serum

@gfpdem wrote:

Suggestion for those struggling w vitamin C-I have reactive skin with mild rosacea -tried lots of C. Two to consider that work well for brightening without irritation- timeless and 100%pure.  Not miracle workers-relatively mild but my skin looks better with than without. I cant do any acids or enzymes on my face, just exfoliate w konjac sponge.

I just want to say that I had a horrible allergic reaction to the 100% pure product. Literally blisters all over my face that took over a week to heal, and that's with being on a steroid pack. I'm don't want to put it in a negative light, because I know everyone is different, but my point here is that it's VERY important to patch test with products with actives, especially if you have sensitive skin. I did have good luck with the Timeless product (it just turned too quickly for my taste, which is why I moved away from it), so there was obviously something in or a combo of ingredients in the 100% Pure product that caused the problem. 

Occasional Contributor

I am sorry about your skins reaction to the Drunk Elephant Vit C.  In case you are seeking another Vitamin C, I have been getting good results using Paula's Choice C15 Super Booster. I have 58-year-old, very fair, "fussy", reactive skin with rosacea (oh joy).     I * now use the Paula's Choice Vit C once a day.  In the mornig, after cleansing and toning my face, in the palm of one hand, I mix a scant two pumps of Dr. Denese Hydroshield serum with four drops of the PC Vit C. I start at my forehead and apply this combo all the way down to and including my neck. Any leftovers, I spread onto my chest/decollete. It seems like a wet mess at first, but,I  wait a few minutes, it soaks in and "mattifies". I then add sunscreen.  

*When I first tried the Vit C, I used two drops mixed into the serum as a test. After five days, I moved up to three drops, after a week of  using three drops, I moved up to adding four drops to the serum. 

Getting "good" results for me is more even skin tone and texture, reduced redness and overall, my skin seems brighter.  

I hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

I saw that Paul loves this serum. However, she totally baffles me with her recommendations. She usually doesnt like anything.

Respected Contributor

For some reason the brand name, Drunk Elephant makes me steer clear of this brand.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@suzyQ3,

I suspect the slight irritation may be from two enzyme ingredients (copied from the DE website):

Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Pomegranate Enzyme: Both Improve cellular renewal and work to enzymatically digest surface dead skin cells and decongest pores.

When I see terms like 'improve cellular renewal' and 'digest dead skin cells' and 'decongest pores', that sounds like an enzyme or acid ingredient that may cause irritation to sensitive skin.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  Your review saved me some money, though, lol, as I was thinking of trying it after I use up what I have now.

Wow, good catch, @River Song! I notice that things with pumpkin or pineapple enzymes give me redness, dryness, and can get scaly if I don't catch it quickly enough. Now I try to avoid them. I never would have thought to look for them in a vitamin C serum, so thanks to you and @suzyQ3 for posting about this.

Super Contributor

@gfpdem wrote:

Suggestion for those struggling w vitamin C-I have reactive skin with mild rosacea -tried lots of C. Two to consider that work well for brightening without irritation- timeless and 100%pure.  Not miracle workers-relatively mild but my skin looks better with than without. I cant do any acids or enzymes on my face, just exfoliate w konjac sponge.

After the Drunk Elephant didn't work out, I reordered the Timeless.  I was using it before trying the DE and have never had any problems with it.  I'd recommend it as well.

Super Contributor

@FUTURE wrote:

@gfpdem wrote:

I just want to say that I had a horrible allergic reaction to the 100% pure product. Literally blisters all over my face that took over a week to heal, and that's with being on a steroid pack. I'm don't want to put it in a negative light, because I know everyone is different, but my point here is that it's VERY important to patch test with products with actives, especially if you have sensitive skin. I did have good luck with the Timeless product (it just turned too quickly for my taste, which is why I moved away from it), so there was obviously something in or a combo of ingredients in the 100% Pure product that caused the problem. 

Did you store the Timeless Vitamin C in the fridge?  I do and mine has never went bad.  My last bottle lasted over four months.  Sorry the 100% Pure gave you such a bad reaction.  I have sensitive skin so I'll pass on trying that one.

Honored Contributor

I read an interesting blurb (wish I knew where) regarding DE products... I'd googled the line and found many blogs, videos, reviews, etc so it was on one of them that I found this:

A few (not one but a few) people were commented how they live in Australia and the ingredients used for these products are pennies, in fact, people can buy the fruits in bulk and it's a HUGE joke that Americans are paying $$$$ for something the Aussies know is just everyday stuff.

One person claimed that the owner tried to sell this stuff in her native country and she was laughed at and told, sarcastically, to sell it to the Americans as they'll buy anything.

So she did and well, there ya go.

Made me wonder....so far, I can't find a retailer there that sells it there so.....yeah. A SA friend at Sephora told me they get MANY returns on this line (it's only online so it's obvious when it's returned) and here's how people have had serious reactions to it. Good luck and hope you find something that works for you!! : )

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the comments.

The best way that I can describe my reaction is that it looks almost like a burn. It is not contact dermatitis, not is it any kind of breaking out. It's on the bridge of nose, where the skin is thin and mine is especially sensitive.

Can I be 100 percent sure that it is this serum? Of course not. In retrospect, I should have done a patch test and/or started more slowly than once a day. Since I'm using BHA and retinol, hey, it could have just put my skin over the threshold of what it can take.

Who knows? I am returning it today. I'm weary of this whole Vit C serum stuff. Either it irritates or it goes bad or it isn't particularly effective.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the comments.

The best way that I can describe my reaction is that it looks almost like a burn. It is not contact dermatitis, not is it any kind of breaking out. It's on the bridge of nose, where the skin is thin and mine is especially sensitive.

Can I be 100 percent sure that it is this serum? Of course not. In retrospect, I should have done a patch test and/or started more slowly than once a day. Since I'm using BHA and retinol, hey, it could have just put my skin over the threshold of what it can take.

Who knows? I am returning it today. I'm weary of this whole Vit C serum stuff. Either it irritates or it goes bad or it isn't particularly effective.

Agreed! It is too exhausting, lol. I was so happy with NCN's for a few years now but I don't feel like going back to the drawing board wasting a bunch of money and time (and perhaps irritated skin!) trying to find another brand, especially since I've tried a million already. I am giving PC's one more chance and go from there. I noticed her trial size was the same amount per oz as the larger size so as long as that stays that way, at least I can buy them in smaller sizes and know that I will use them up before they go bad!