Honored Contributor

An update on my Drunk Elephant Vit C serum

@HappyDaze, @FUTURE, and anyone else remotely interested:

I have used the serum for four days straight now. It's the only new product I have added. I noticed that I had some irritation on my nose and that my skin was drier this morning, but I went ahead and applied serum.

The skin on my nose is still red and irritated, and the dryness on my face is noticeable to the touch. Since I have sensitive skin and very, very mild rosacea, I have decided not to tempt the fates and to return the serum.

I don't know what might be causing this. I was using a serum previously that was 20 percent L-Ascorbic acid, and this one is 15 percent. Perhaps it's some other ingredient or combination of ingredients that doesn't work for me.

Bummer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Re: An update on my Drunk Elephant Vit C serum

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.  I had the same redness and irritation after just a few days.  My irritation was mostly on my neck.  I sent mine back as well.  

ETA-I haven't had this type of irritation from an L-Ascorbic acid serum in awhile.  I think it is something to do with the combination of ingredients or maybe even the delivery system.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3,

I suspect the slight irritation may be from two enzyme ingredients (copied from the DE website):

Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Pomegranate Enzyme: Both Improve cellular renewal and work to enzymatically digest surface dead skin cells and decongest pores.

When I see terms like 'improve cellular renewal' and 'digest dead skin cells' and 'decongest pores', that sounds like an enzyme or acid ingredient that may cause irritation to sensitive skin.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  Your review saved me some money, though, lol, as I was thinking of trying it after I use up what I have now.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HappyDaze, @FUTURE, and anyone else remotely interested:

I have used the serum for four days straight now. It's the only new product I have added. I noticed that I had some irritation on my nose and that my skin was drier this morning, but I went ahead and applied serum.

The skin on my nose is still red and irritated, and the dryness on my face is noticeable to the touch. Since I have sensitive skin and very, very mild rosacea, I have decided not to tempt the fates and to return the serum.

I don't know what might be causing this. I was using a serum previously that was 20 percent L-Ascorbic acid, and this one is 15 percent. Perhaps it's some other ingredient or combination of ingredients that doesn't work for me.

Bummer.

@suzyQ3, DARN!! Well, I'm glad you found out quickly, so you can move on and hopefully your face will bounce back very quickly. I'm still patch testing, and likely will until next weekend. I'm just that cautious with C serums. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the update!

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@suzyQ3,

I suspect the slight irritation may be from two enzyme ingredients (copied from the DE website):

Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Pomegranate Enzyme: Both Improve cellular renewal and work to enzymatically digest surface dead skin cells and decongest pores.

When I see terms like 'improve cellular renewal' and 'digest dead skin cells' and 'decongest pores', that sounds like an enzyme or acid ingredient that may cause irritation to sensitive skin.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  Your review saved me some money, though, lol, as I was thinking of trying it after I use up what I have now.

@River Song, I don't want to dissuade anyone from trying it. It's such an individual thing.

BTW, I have wanted to tell you that I very much enjoy your posts here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 @myshell624 thank you two VERY much for this info. This is the type of irritation I often get from Vitamin C serums so this would be a big NO for me. I see that this contains algae extract fairly high on the list and I notice that I can get irritation from products with algae extract, especially those with it higher on the ingredient list (I'm looking at you Algenist!) so I was concerned about that as well. I will certainly be forgoing trying this now, just don't want to take the risk especially at that price. I think I am going to go back to trying Paula's Choice but just get the trial size, which she says lasts for 20-25 days. If that doesn't work out, I am just going to pass on using a vitamin C serum. I'm tired of trying so many only to have them irritate my skin. Why oh why NCN have you forsaken me??!!! lol!

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@suzyQ3 @myshell624 thank you two VERY much for this info. This is the type of irritation I often get from Vitamin C serums so this would be a big NO for me. I see that this contains algae extract fairly high on the list and I notice that I can get irritation from products with algae extract, especially those with it higher on the ingredient list (I'm looking at you Algenist!) so I was concerned about that as well. I will certainly be forgoing trying this now, just don't want to take the risk especially at that price. I think I am going to go back to trying Paula's Choice but just get the trial size, which she says lasts for 20-25 days. If that doesn't work out, I am just going to pass on using a vitamin C serum. I'm tired of trying so many only to have them irritate my skin. Why oh why NCN have you forsaken me??!!! lol!

Unless you just spot treat, or don't use it everyday I can't imagine the  trial size  lasting 20 to 25 days.  

Regular Contributor

I am using the C serum every third day since they said it stays active for 72 hours. This is my first experience with Vitamin C and I love the way my skin looks after only two weeks of every third day use. Sorry it didn't work for you. Keep us updated on your search.

Super Contributor

I've had mine for 2 weeks and am absolutely loving it. Combination skin here. Using it every other day! I am also enjoying the Glycolic serum very much!

Regular Contributor

Suggestion for those struggling w vitamin C-I have reactive skin with mild rosacea -tried lots of C. Two to consider that work well for brightening without irritation- timeless and 100%pure.  Not miracle workers-relatively mild but my skin looks better with than without. I cant do any acids or enzymes on my face, just exfoliate w konjac sponge.