Honored Contributor

Re: An Interesting Article on Vitamin C - Do We Really Need a Vitamin C Serum?

@Harpa wrote:

vitamin C will have any positive dermatologic effects on the skin of someone who has adequate vitamin C."

@Harpa  Mine too, but I can't  be as certain as you when my routine includes other serums, AHA, peptides, ceramides, Tretinoin, in addition to diet.  🤷‍♀️

@JeanLouiseFinch  I've long been a proponent of multi-approach (i.e., multi ingredient) skin care. What peptides, ceremides, etc. don't do, vitamins will; and vice versa.

I've used the grocery store analogy time and again. You don't just eat one food for good health. Which food is it that gives you bone strength? The eggs or the spinach?

Anyway, from time to time I rehearse what I want to add or delete from the process! Smiley Happy 

@Harpa   I keep a small notebook to keep track of skincare brands, changes, dates, etc. I know it sounds OCD, but if something doesn't work or causes dryness, I want to remember what it was and date I began using it. I've stayed w/ Skinceuticals, except their CE Ferulic. 

I'm experimenting now w/ my Vit.C serums: Obagi, The Ordinary and I just started DRMTLGY Vit. CE+F. Anyone use this one? 

Honored Contributor

Any of the Retin A, Differn, and such is very iffy with me.  I will say that for me the Vit. A has done more with less harm than anything else I've ever used.  And those anti-aging heavy creams almost to a one make my skin red and I get breakouts.

The two Vit. C winners for me are Trish McEvoys (almost a miracle but expensive!) and Derma E.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee,  so which vitamin C do you like best?

You once recommended dr. Brenner...which I'm using along with the hyaluronic acid serum...on my 3rd order. I've used many many different brands of C...honestly I don't see a difference.  I use it because it's said to help, but maybe as I'm as good as I can get...??🤷‍♀️.  So what do you like?   

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@SilleeMee,  so which vitamin C do you like best?

You once recommended dr. Brenner...which I'm using along with the hyaluronic acid serum...on my 3rd order. I've used many many different brands of C...honestly I don't see a difference.  I use it because it's said to help, but maybe as I'm as good as I can get...??🤷‍♀️.  So what do you like?   

@Dazlin 

Right now I'm using pure THDA oil added to squalane in a 20% concentration. I buy the THDA from LotionCrafters or MakingCosmetics and just add that to any pure squalane. I blend a total of 30ml (24ml squalane  + 6ml THDA) in an amber glass dropper bottle. It's my morning moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

It's true of all vitamins, if we are not deficient in something, we get no benefit from taking a supplement. Our bodies use what we need and we excrete what we don't need. As for topical vitamin C, I do use a serum but I don't know if my benefiting from it or not. I use it snyway.
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree ...I agree with you about adding supplements.   I found out it can taxing on the kidneys to filter excessive vitamins out of our systems...heard a Dr say...take a look at your urine after supplements...most is excreted...you tell by the color.  He said, that's very expensive urine .😄...again, all passing through the kidneys. 

I used be a huge fan adding supplements,  but I've come to comfortable place of eating well, and only adding something if I'm getting sick, or can't eat well.  Only about 10 percent MAY be absorbed, the rest is in the toilet.    As for topical...I do use C, Hyaluronic,  and my favorite creams.  I drink LOTS of water, sometimes add fresh lemon. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee ...thank you!!

Frequent Contributor

Yes I just started with the Dermatology serum and like it a lot.  It seems to be a bit more hydrating than the two I had previously used.  Good for my 75 year old skin during the winter months!

Respected Contributor

Re: An Interesting Articke on Vitamin C - Do We Really Need a Vitamin C Serum?

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

For me it is important to apply topicalVCC as a layer of antioxidant protection especially under sunscreen.VCC helps neutralize free radicals formed when skin gets damaged from UV light from the sun, from chemicals in the environment and also from things you ingest. Free radicals cause damage by robbing nutrients from living cells and that causes aging...loss of collagen, lines, wrinkles, sagging andhyperpigmentationn.

ETA - Preventing damage is a lot easier than trying to fix it.

I totally agree and enlarged the last part....it's painful for me to realize all the ignorant things I did trying to tan like my Italian girlfriends when I am so pale I just burned!  I need to find a new Vitamin C product that works well under my spf and foundation.  I love the one I have from Timeless but it is to oily during the day so I do put it on at night LOL...got use it up!

EDIT: I just realized my LaRoche Posay Serum spf 50 has Vit C in it...can't be much I bet but it is in there too!

Honored Contributor

If one doesn't have brown spots to fade (I've never been fond of the sun and avoid it like the plague) does Vit C help brighten the rest of the complexion?  I'm now comfortable without foundation but don't know if my face is "bright".  Does the absence of texture and brown spots = bright?  How do you know if your face is bright or could be brighter?  Is there a brightness scale?  And if  you're tan (I am not) does that mean you can't have a bright complexion?