Respected Contributor

Re: An Insult Or a Compliment?

@suzyQ3 

She readily acknowledged her inability to do her hair: her twin became a hairdresser.

It wasn’t said with  malice...she didn’t get upset or angry because it was what it was.  I think it was her way of getting the twin to do her hair:  dad told the twin to fix her hair !   She had the last laugh.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I was once told years ago that I had pretty hair, that it looked like a wig. This was in the era when big hair, perfectly styled, & sprayed into submission was the style. The person who said it to me thought they were complimenting me, I didn't take it as a compliment.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi, @x Hedge  - Somebody did recently say to me "Your hair is so beautiful, it's like doll hair" - so in that sense it was a compliment.  I guess it depends on the image of doll hair the person saying it has in mind.  

Esteemed Contributor

@qtrmoonlady1 wrote:

Hi, @x Hedge  - Somebody did recently say to me "Your hair is so beautiful, it's like doll hair" - so in that sense it was a compliment.  I guess it depends on the image of doll hair the person saying it has in mind.  

Do you know the area of the country that person grew up in @qtrmoonlady1 ?

@sgraham30 , in high school I was asked if I wore a wig. Evidently there was a bet between two people, one didn't believe anyone could have hair as thick as mine.   

😶 I was not amused.

Respected Contributor

I have been called doll face, never that I have doll hair...it was probably a compliment

Valued Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@qtrmoonlady1 wrote:

Do you know the area of the country that person grew up in @qtrmoonlady1 ?

No, @x Hedge , I'm assuming New York, but I really don't know.  She was a receptionist in my chiropractor's office.

Honored Contributor

I am in the midwest, I have never heard that term.