Valued Contributor

Re: Ammonia free hair color for home use

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:

I can't  use ammonia free to get the color saturation I want with reds.  Red color really does need the ammonia to make the color penetrate better. You can only get so much of a red tintish with an ammonia.  My color is a medium vibrant red.

Really? I switched to using ammonia-free red dye two years ago and the only difference I've noticed is in the ammonia-free color smells better and my hair feels less dry afterward.

@ChynnaBlue, please share which brand you use.  Is it permanent or semi-permanent?

Honored Contributor

@tigress, I use gloss sync by Matrix.  I do it myself.  The reds are really true.  It doesn't last long on my roots, but they are white.  It has no ammonia, and uses a unique bonding process.  I leave 30 on roots, 10 through hair.  I wash every 4 to 5 days.  I do it every 6 weeks, by then the gray is poking through.  My hair is better condition after.  And the shine is intense.  They often use this to color same day after a perm or another color that hasn't "turned out" because it is safe

Image result for matrix 6rr gloss sync

Here is before and after with Matrix Gloss sync demi permanent amonia free.

Image result for matrix 6rr gloss sync

My hair is like the last one.  I have gray in front and brownish all over with gray roots here and there.

Honored Contributor

They actually have gray colors as well.  I haven't gone that route though!

http://www.matrix.com/our-products/hair-color/demi-permanent/gloss-sync

Honored Contributor

I think I am going to try this Madison Reed Hair color, is it like The E Salon where once you buy it, you are locked into a auto ship program? I don't use programs like that, because it always seems to o hard to get out.......I am going to go on their website and do some research,......

Honored Contributor

@jazzbabe wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:

I can't  use ammonia free to get the color saturation I want with reds.  Red color really does need the ammonia to make the color penetrate better. You can only get so much of a red tintish with an ammonia.  My color is a medium vibrant red.

Really? I switched to using ammonia-free red dye two years ago and the only difference I've noticed is in the ammonia-free color smells better and my hair feels less dry afterward.

@ChynnaBlue, please share which brand you use.  Is it permanent or semi-permanent?

@jazzbabe, I'm currently using Revlon Colorsilk. Before that I used Revlon Colorsilk Buttercream. They both gave me great results, but the Buttercream is hard to find in my shade, so I switched. The most vibrant red I've found is Garnier Olia, which was much too vibrant for me and I used Color Oops to remove it and redo with a more natural shade. The Garnier Olia was super bright, covered my grays better than any color I've ever used, and didn't fade easily. (Of course the color I didn't like was the one that hung on for dear life and wouldn't go away.)

I used the Garnier Olia in Light Natural Auburn and it came out a burgundy shade. If I wanted super vibrant red, I'd go for the Light Intense Auburn or Garnet Red.

Here are some YouTubers who have used each. Both have super bright, vibrant red hair using Garnia Olia reds.

Light Intense Auburn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT4NTSUULYI

Garnet Red: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbHgaBuf_Q8

If you use Olia, I recommend buying a mixing/application bottle from a beauty supply store. The Olia bottle is a weird shape and hard to grip and use.

Trusted Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Revlon Colorsilk is ammonia free, been using it for last 18 years, under $3 at Target and Walmart. I use Dark Auburn, but there are lighter auburn shades too, highly recommend.

I think it's the best on the market today.  Been using it for years.  The color lasts for months on me also.  It's fabulous!  Best thing of all it only costs like 3 bucks to buy.  

@BlingQueen022, I agree with you. Colorsilk colors my hair beautifully, it is very gentle, I don't get any scalp irritation with it AND my hair is in the best shape its been in for a long time (I also credit Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for curly hair too). The color does fade a tad bit early on my gray roots (or it could be that they are growing out faster) but IMHO, it is worth it because of all the benefits it brings to my hair & scalp.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Valued Contributor

@ChynnaBlue, thanks for all the info.