Respected Contributor

Re: Ammonia free hair color for home use

i also mean to add that there is no brown in this color, so red, but not the bright red of a typical colored dye like a purple or blue punk hair color.
Respected Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
i also mean to add that there is no brown in this color, so red, but not the bright red of a typical colored dye like a purple or blue punk hair color.

Such a pretty red!Heart

Respected Contributor

I'm a dishwater blond, so it comes up nicely. I wash everyday due to my pixie and my oily scalp, but I use sulphate free shampoo and redye every 6 weeks or so on the whole head starting with the roots for 10 minutes, do the rest, and put on a plastic shower cap for 45-50 minutes. It really takes well for me.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not tried the Madison Reed gloss. I really don't feel that I need it since I am so happy with the results I get from their color.  There were some negative reviews about the gloss, in that it changed the shade of the original color, so I could not justify taking a chance in ruining a good thing. There used to be a photo on the webpage of how the color kit arrives. It is really well thought out. There are small sizes of shampoo and conditioner, two pairs of gloves, cream to prevent the color from staining your skin, plus a cleansing wipe and a cap. The color takes longer to develop than normal hair color, 45 minutes vs. 25 on most colors.  I actually leave it on for an hour to ensure my grays are processed. The extra processing time may discourage some, but to me the results are worth it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For semi-permanent color:  Clairol Natural Instincts.

Plus it's reasonably-priced for my super-tight budget.

My shade, in case you're interested:  #24 / Medium Cool Brown

The result I'm after is a rich medium brown (reg. MB is my natural hair color), but since my hair 'pulls red', this cancels out the warm tones.

Not that I don't like those, LOL, as I was medium auburn for many years

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:

I can't  use ammonia free to get the color saturation I want with reds.  Red color really does need the ammonia to make the color penetrate better. You can only get so much of a red tintish with an ammonia.  My color is a medium vibrant red.

Really? I switched to using ammonia-free red dye two years ago and the only difference I've noticed is in the ammonia-free color smells better and my hair feels less dry afterward.

ITA on all points; semi-perm color is healthier for your scalp and hair.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Revlon Colorsilk is ammonia free, been using it for last 18 years, under $3 at Target and Walmart. I use Dark Auburn, but there are lighter auburn shades too, highly recommend.

This is all I too use, Revlon Color Silk. I have been using it for many many years. I have tried others over the years but always come back to this one so now I am not  even trying others. This leaves my long hair soft, shiny and silky.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Revlon Colorsilk is ammonia free, been using it for last 18 years, under $3 at Target and Walmart. I use Dark Auburn, but there are lighter auburn shades too, highly recommend.

I think it's the best on the market today.  Been using it for years.  The color lasts for months on me also.  It's fabulous!  Best thing of all it only costs like 3 bucks to buy.  

Honored Contributor

@DJK1003 wrote:

I have not tried the Madison Reed gloss. I really don't feel that I need it since I am so happy with the results I get from their color.  There were some negative reviews about the gloss, in that it changed the shade of the original color, so I could not justify taking a chance in ruining a good thing. There used to be a photo on the webpage of how the color kit arrives. It is really well thought out. There are small sizes of shampoo and conditioner, two pairs of gloves, cream to prevent the color from staining your skin, plus a cleansing wipe and a cap. The color takes longer to develop than normal hair color, 45 minutes vs. 25 on most colors.  I actually leave it on for an hour to ensure my grays are processed. The extra processing time may discourage some, but to me the results are worth it. 

Thank you so much for the reply. That is along time to wait for the color to develop. I usually wait only 20 minutes with what I use now.

New Contributor

We're so excited to hear this, DianeK1! Thank you for sharing the love and for being part of our family. We're here for you! Heart - Kathy