Regular Contributor

Ammonia free hair color for home use

Do you use an ammonia free hair coloring that you could recommend.? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ammonia free hair color for home use

I use ammonia-free Revlon.

Contributor

I have been using Madison Reed for a few months now.  I originally heard about them through an email offer I received from Town and Country Magazine.  I am now on their auto delivery program.  Their color is the best I have ever used, gentle to my hair and unbelieveable shine. Also, their customer service is the best. Their website is: madison-reed.com.  Check it out!

Honored Contributor

When I colored my hair I used Natural Insincts.  It covers gray, gives a beautiful shine and lasts long.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I can't  use ammonia free to get the color saturation I want with reds.  Red color really does need the ammonia to make the color penetrate better. You can only get so much of a red tintish with an ammonia.  My color is a medium vibrant red.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

I can't  use ammonia free to get the color saturation I want with reds.  Red color really does need the ammonia to make the color penetrate better. You can only get so much of a red tintish with an ammonia.  My color is a medium vibrant red.

Really? I switched to using ammonia-free red dye two years ago and the only difference I've noticed is in the ammonia-free color smells better and my hair feels less dry afterward.

Respected Contributor

What brand of ammonia free hair color? I like a brighter red than most auburn hair colors.
Honored Contributor

Revlon Colorsilk is ammonia free, been using it for last 18 years, under $3 at Target and Walmart. I use Dark Auburn, but there are lighter auburn shades too, highly recommend.

Honored Contributor

I use Natural Instincts and may check the Madison Reed out. Does anyone know if the gloss really adds any color to your hair? I saw it said there are 9 pieces to the package(permanent dye)  but didn't see what comes with  it.There is also ESalon that someone mentioned that custom blends coloring for you.

Respected Contributor

Here is the color mine comes out as.  Vidal Sassoon Medium Vibrant Red.Image result for vidal sassoon 5rr medium vibrant red  This is not me BTW, but a similar hair cut though mine is just shorter version of an asymetrical pixie.