Honored Contributor

Re: Amazing test that determines which hair length flatters you most (REPRISE)

Well I'll be fricaseed and Kentucky Fried.  Mine is exactly 2 inches.  I've worn short hair for years, I thought it was because I had a long narrow face, even when I gained weight. 

Respected Contributor

I mentioned the test to my hairdresser and he said that it has much more to do with your face shape and your features than it does with an arbitrary length. I have high cheek bones, an oval to heart shaped face and long hair on me would look silly at my age. I can wear both but I am not so sure being in my 60's long hair wouldn't make me look like I was trying to recapture my youth. I am aiming for long layers to chin length ....growing out a pixie and it really grew now that the weather is warm. I missed having longer length hair...

I am glad, though, that some people find this works for them. Always love your threads...Woman Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

feline groovy, many thanks for this great thread!  This is the first time I've seen this; I'm at approx. 2-3/4", and do enjoy wearing my hair long.  My avatar is a photo of me taken in December of last year; I basically look the same now (my hair is just below shoulder length).

And I love the picture of the Russian Blue kitty rockin' that pink wig!  Now if I tried to put a wig on my diva kitty Sweetpea, it would be a different story altogether...Cat Tongue

Regular Contributor

I'm right at 2.5 inches.  I've had long hair most of my life, but when I had shorter hair it was ok too.  My hair is just so full and wavy that I avoid shorter hair due to having a hard time avoiding having a fluff head.

Honored Contributor

According to this I should have long hair but, in fact, my hair is baby fine and perfectly straight and I NEED to keep it short or it just is flat and stringy. For hair like mine your best friend is a great cut in layers.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Well I'll be fricaseed and Kentucky Fried.  Mine is exactly 2 inches.  I've worn short hair for years, I thought it was because I had a long narrow face, even when I gained weight. 

LOL

Honored Contributor

@VioletEyes wrote:

I mentioned the test to my hairdresser and he said that it has much more to do with your face shape and your features than it does with an arbitrary length. I have high cheek bones, an oval to heart shaped face and long hair on me would look silly at my age. I can wear both but I am not so sure being in my 60's long hair wouldn't make me look like I was trying to recapture my youth. I am aiming for long layers to chin length ....growing out a pixie and it really grew now that the weather is warm. I missed having longer length hair...

I am glad, though, that some people find this works for them. Always love your threads...Woman Happy

Your hairdresser makes sound points, VE; I stated something similar in my original post

"Each person, of course, needs to take into account their own unique characteristics re: their face and hair, plus their overall individual style."

But your chronological age doesn't have to determine whether you wear your hair "long", which is a term whose meaning is different for everyone.  

That's why I also noted the terms "short/shortish" and "short/shorter", plus "long/longish" and "long/longer".

The length and style you're aiming for re: your own hair sounds like it will flatter your heart-shaped face.  

And those high cheekbones (jealous, heh); they really  bring out ones' eyes, and help 'lift' one's face as they age.  

Thanks for thinking of others, as well as for the compliment; it means a lot to me.  :womanhappy:

Honored Contributor

@butterflygirl69 wrote:

I'm right at 2.5 inches.  

I've had long hair most of my life, but when I had shorter hair it was ok too.  

My hair is just so full and wavy that I avoid shorter hair due to having a hard time avoiding having a fluff head.

Understandable, as the weight of a longer length will help weigh it down.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

According to this I should have long hair but, in fact, my hair is baby fine and perfectly straight and I NEED to keep it short or it just is flat and stringy.

For hair like mine your best friend is a great cut in layers.

I have baby-fine hair (but wavy) too, and still miraculously have a pretty good amount of it.

But at a full 3", via life experience, and re: my own unique details, I know that long/longish/longer hair looks so  much better on me.

Did you know that even with your own hair type there are things you can do to give it more body and texture?

Like hair color, specific products, certain tools, and ways to dry it.

That would free you from letting your hair dictate a, perhaps, less-flattering length and style.

Also, the latest news re: the rule that fine hair "must" be cut in layers in order to look decent is that it's not a 'must' anymore.

Google this subject and you'll see.  8)

Honored Contributor

@MissRose722 wrote:

feline groovy, many thanks for this great thread!  This is the first time I've seen this; I'm at approx. 2-3/4", and do enjoy wearing my hair long.  My avatar is a photo of me taken in December of last year; I basically look the same now (my hair is just below shoulder length).

And I love the picture of the Russian Blue kitty rockin' that pink wig!  Now if I tried to put a wig on my diva kitty Sweetpea, it would be a different story altogether...Cat Tongue

Hi MissRose - many thanks back to you!  :cathappy:

It's great to hear that you had fun finding out the main reason why longer hair helps you look your most attractive.

That's something we all should strive for at any  age.

Your hair length, color, and side part you really flatter you.

Aw, your "diva' (LOL) cat's name is Sweetpea.  Sounds like she's not that sweet, though, when you dare to mess with her already-stunning good looks.

I added the pink-wigged Russian Blue kitty since:

a)   it kinda goes with this hair length thread

b)   she's super-cute

c)   her expression just killed me  :cattongue: