Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is misleading?

@Drythe , try this.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Personally - I think it's a good idea to list makeup that contains SPF.  Let's me know to avoid the product.

I had an awful experience with an SPF lotion and now avoid anything with SPF ingredients.  

For me, it's easier (and safer) to just avoid prolonged sun exposure.

Good point! I know the people should do their own research about the spf in makeup and how it’s not enough, but I also feel like the brands and retailers shouldn’t be misleading either. I agree with @SilleeMee @and maybe they should have put the word “Tinted” in front. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketra wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Personally - I think it's a good idea to list makeup that contains SPF.  Let's me know to avoid the product.

I had an awful experience with an SPF lotion and now avoid anything with SPF ingredients.  

@ALRATIBA  I agree. A study came out recently that stated the chemicals used in SPF products are causing more cancer than a moderate amount of sun. Vitamin D from the sun helps fight cancer and we need a little sunshine every day in order to manufacture and process natural vitamin D. I try and get 15 mins of direct unfiltered sun light a day and then wear a hat or stay out of the sun. I was vitamin D deficient and have autoimmune issues and this has helped me to naturally get my Vitamin D leveIs up to normal. I believe all these chemicals in makeup, some skin care, spf, and many food additives are contributing to the high rate of illness. I am trying to eliminate as many of them from my home as possible.

@Ketra, It's great that you can absorb enough Vit. D from a little time in the sun. Many, myself included, cannot. We must supplement with D3, as I do daily. And like @SilleeMee, I live at high alitude, so my skin is very happy that I wear UVA/UVB mineral sunscreen 365 days a year. 

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove 

There's been some recent studies, and consequently some debates, about the efficacy of mineral sunscreen. Some derms are saying that mineral sunscreens don't provide enough protection and so those derms are recommending using chemical rather than mineral sunscreens. Personal preference will come into play with this one, for certain.Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee, I read that and actually asked my derm about it during my annual skin check. She is not concerned and pointed out some of the studies' inconsistencies. She also pointed to the fact that I don't get sunburned even when out hiking/snowshoeing all day in the high country every weekend.  Also, I'm super sensitve to many of the chemical SPFs so I no longer have a bad reaction like I used to when I put those chem SPFs on my face and body. For my skin, 100% mineral has protected me really well so I'm stickin' to it. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Ketra   If I don't get my daily dose of 15-20 minutes of sun...I take a D3 supplement.

@Ketra wrote:

@ALRATIBA   A study came out recently that stated the chemicals used in SPF products are causing more cancer than a moderate amount of sun. Vitamin D from the sun helps fight cancer and we need a little sunshine every day in order to manufacture and process natural vitamin D. I try and get 15 mins of direct unfiltered sun light a day and then wear a hat or stay out of the sun. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wvumountiefan 

1) No, you are NOT the only person who thinks this is misleading. 

2) I refuse to buy ANY product that contains an spf in it UNLESS it is ONLY an spf product.

It's up to consumers to educate themselves regarding spf's; the amount that one needs for protection; the type of sunscreens out there and possible reactions. Most people don't realize how much of a pure spf you need to apply for accurate protection and then wonder why they are getting burned, getting freckles, etc when they use a day cream or foundation (or primer) with spf in it instead of a separate spf product.

My holy grail: Dr. Dennis Gross physical SPF 50. I apply it to face, neck and chest 365 days a year (unless I'm sick in bed, lol).

Honored Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA  I agree. A study came out recently that stated the chemicals used in SPF products are causing more cancer than a moderate amount of sun. Vitamin D from the sun helps fight cancer and we need a little sunshine every day in order to manufacture and process natural vitamin D. I try and get 15 mins of direct unfiltered sun light a day and then wear a hat or stay out of the sun. I was vitamin D deficient and have autoimmune issues and this has helped me to naturally get my Vitamin D leveIs up to normal. I believe all these chemicals in makeup, some skin care, spf, and many food additives are contributing to the high rate of illness. I am trying to eliminate as many of them from my home as possible.

@Ketra 

Yass!

Too many chemicals have a huge cumulative effect. 

I, too, eliminated all sunscreens many years ago &

try to get 10-15 minutes/each side of unprotected sunshine

each day.  The supplements? Too many studies making the

heart disease connection so I avoid VitD supplements.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the entire poll/contest for Best in Beauty is misleading.  People can vote more than once and for products they haven't even used.  

Honored Contributor

It's a good thing I don't rely on the results of that poll. I just never trusted it. To me it's like a popularity contest and not about the value and quality of products.