Frequent Contributor

Am I in the minority-don't do all those makeup steps

I watch the makeup shows all the time and I think I'm challenged when it comes to doing all these steps.

I wear foundation, blush and eyeliner.  I'll wear mascara for special occasions.

I'm currently watching Krister Buckle put makeup on Courtney and she looks great!

He's contouring, but I just can't bring myself to go through all those steps.  Heck, I am challenged when it comes to putting eye shadow on the way they do on these shows.

I've even tried the cat eye and it DOES NOT look like what they do on tv.

If I knew I could put these products on like they do on tv and look lke the models, I might be tempted.  I guess that's how they sell the products.  Smiley Very Happy

Am I in the minority?  

Valued Contributor

Re: Am I in the minority-don't do all those makeup steps

IMO, contouring and especially these highlighting products don't look good in real life, especially when done by an amateur.  I question whether even a make-up artist could make them look natural in real life.  I consider these techniques mostly for people who are on TV or on stage where you really don't see them as they are.  Also, they always put way too much mascara on during demonstrations.  I guess it's to justify the higher cost of the mascara they're selling.  The eyelashes look like spiders and are all clumpy. 

I always wear a bit of IT CC cream when I go out to even out my skin.  I might put on a bit of eyebrow pencil and mascara (IT's primer mascara, which is the best I've ever found because it doesn't clump or flake).  Sometimes I wear lipstick from Mally's Classic Color Lipstick trio that I got from QVC.  They are the best colors I've ever seen, and all are wearable.  I mix them, too, sometimes.  I'll put a bit of lip balm under them.

I less often wear blush, which I only put on the outer corners of my cheekbones and sweep it up to my temple.  I never put it on the apples of my cheeks.  It doesn't look good on me.  I think it depends on the shape of your face.  Even subtle blush sometimes looks like too much when I have lipstick on.

I almost never wear eyeliner or shadow.  That's probably TMI.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I forgot about the fake lashes.  No way I could ever pull that off.  They would fall off into my food if I was out to dinner.

Lipstick-no way.  I'm too addicted to Chapstick.

Whenever I try to make my brows "thicker" like they do on QVC, they are a disaster.

Thanks for the response!  Love reading what other people wear.

Honored Contributor

I use primer, foundation, a bronzer and some times a hilighter, that is it, 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Join the club.  I'm pretty utilitarian when it comes to cosmetics.  Just CC cream, eyeliner, mascara and lip balm.  Usually remember to use a little blush and when I go crazy and use shadow it's one color only and it's a neutral brownish.  When I get fancy there might be some lip gloss.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@3redheads  My guess is you are in the majority.  My make-up has become a lot more minimalistic as I age.  I concentrate on a healthy lifestyle rather than face make-up and there are better results than anything I can purchase.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do everything but highlighting and contouring but then again, I go to work every day. Once I retire, I'll be cutting WAY back on the steps. If I don't plan to leave the house I won't be applying any makeup at all.

I've never tried false lashes and would love to wear them someday, perhaps for a special occasion. I have a coworker who wears them every day but I just don't consider them appropriate for the office, at least for me.

Valued Contributor

Not really. I’ll take a tip here or there. But I actually put myself on a “no make up or beauty purchases diet” I needed one eye penci from Mally, I have a hard time finding. I’ve got more than enough  make up to open up my own shop! I became disabled doing CPRon a patient & had to retire from my profession that I dearly loved, much too early! I had an admin position at the time and used to dress up and wear full makeup everyday.  

Now, its a bit of concealer,, light lipstick or gloss & ey pencil & a little mascara. I’m finding that, as I get older that, less is more!

Trusted Contributor

I have watched people get their makeup done at a counter in the big B&M stores.   I once thought I would like to see how I would look with full make-up.   I always thought the ladies were over done and did not look natural.  I never did it.

I always wear LG tinted primer over my moisturizer and a single swipe of mascara on my lashes because some have turned white.  (I'm 73). This evens out my color and protects my skin from the elements.  My lips have always been almost non-existent so I rarely use lipstick but do like a lip balm.  Eye shadow and liner may be added lightly for a special occasion.   I need the tint of the primer or everyone thinks I am sick.  

Esteemed Contributor

Recently I tried a foundation and saw that all it did was to mask my natural skin radiance. I thought foundations were supposed to enhance something. I can see if one has skin discoloration, but then I would only want to conceal that discoloration.

I do highlight, but the highlighter is more of a skin treatment (ala Touche Eclat)...so only at the corners of my eyes where any shadow might lurk, on my brow bone and down the center of my nose - bringing light to the center of my face.

The softest of blush - I'm using Maybelline's Light Pink, a rosy lip, (a medium color looks best on me) maybe a swipe of liner & mascara & a touch of brow. And then a whisper of It Bye Bye Pores.

If I really want to make a statement, I'll do a little shadow, but not in any artificial colors.

From what I see in my neck of the woods, I also, would say you are in the majority.