Valued Contributor

Am I The Only One Allergic To Philosophy Products?

I paid a lot of money a few years ago for a Philosophy TSV and I can't use any product. I have bought the bath gels. I break out. I have no idea what is going on with this brand since it is supposed to be "all natural" or am I getting it mixed up with BE? All I know I have spent a lot of money on a product I cannot use. Even their face cleanser...yep, it makes my face break out. Dr. Perricone did too and so does Olay from the drug store so there is an ingredient in there my face does not like. I gave my granddaughter my bath gels which she loved. I have Clarisonic and so far so good with the facial cleanser and I think after that is gone, I'll just use my very trusty Dove soap. I'm really old and don't have wrinkles so although I know it has a lot to do with good genes, I'm thinking that don't put anything on your face that irritates your skin. I still stick with my Dove soap.

Re: Am I The Only One Allergic To Philosophy Products?

I have purchased many and most of Philosophy products the last few years. My closet contains 12 to 15 comtainers of large size bottles (because of savings offers) and many jars and other containers for other skin procedures and products. I've also have been having an allergic reaction which has gotten worse this past year. I've tried to eliminate foods, laundry products and make ups that could be the problem. When tested by my dermatoligist I had a severe reaction to methylisothiazolinone (isothiazolinone/Kathon), a preservative used in some beauty brands. To my dismay, when researched on the Philosophy website, most of Philosophy products contain this ingredient!  I dont understand why a company like Philosophy would add this widely acknowoledged ingredient causing dermatologic reactions to it's products? It also is a reaction that shows up over time so is not revealed until continual use. This takes away my ability to return within the 30 day return period.  Why wasnt this not mentioned when promoted on QVC? If people are aware of ingredients that could be a problem then we can purchase their other products that dont contain the additive.

Will QVC let me return these products? I respect that money returned can be difficult but returned for credit seems reasonable.

To others having reactions to beauty products, check for this additive. 

(As you can tell by my purchases, I am a Philosophy fan: just not a fan of the preservative mentioned above!)

Honored Contributor

I can't say I'm allergic, but Philosophy skincare did a number on my face, causing milia and congested pores.  The only good thing in the skincare line was probably the WHINE serum.  The body washes were fine, but I haven't used them in years.

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to try one product and I tried the Purity cleanser. I never break out. From anything. But my whole forehead was nothing but bumps. It took quite a while to go away, too. I should have known. Their 'amazing' perfume products are ghastly. Worst stuff I ever smelled so I just should have known better than to try another product.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago when I tried Philosophy, I experienced a very bad reaction to the skincare. My derm advised to stop immediately: besides parabens in some products, many in the skincare routine contain either a retinol and/or exfoliant or an acid. When combined each day after their recommended Microdelivery Wash, my skin was raw, red and irritated.

The shower gels are drying to my skin....the same ingredients that strip color from hair causes all the bubbles.  So, after only a few months, I gave up all Philosophy except my Inner Grace fragrance. It never lasted anyway and eventually discontinued. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if I'm "allergic," but Purity cleanser sure did a number on my complexion.  After using 2-3 days, I got a burning rash all over my face and neck that took a couple weeks to clear up.  I have rosacea that I can normally keep under control - since I hadn't changed anything else in my skin care routine, I blamed the Purity.  That was 15+ years ago and I've never tried Purity again.   In fact, I won't use any philosophy products.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

I can't use Philosophy products on my face ... they all give me painful cystic acne.

I used to use some of the fragrances, but they changed several years ago, so I stopped using them.

The body products dry my skin.

Honored Contributor

I cannot use their Purity cleasner -- gives me tiny bumps all over my face. 

But I have no problems with any of their other products I've tried.  Mind you, I don't use all the multitude of skincare products, but I really like some of their whipped creams, and 3 in 1 shower gels.  

Respected Contributor

I broke out from the purity cleanser also. 

Trusted Contributor

ThIs is a 7 year old thread brought to life by a 1 post new member.  I think philosophy has a skin care TSV coming up soon.  What a coincidence 😜