Honored Contributor

Re: Alpha Hydrox lotion users, what order to apply?

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining 

Most GA products don't need anything on top of them. There isn't any reason to apply stuff over them. Yes, I think if you do apply a moisturizer on top of a GA product ...whatever that is...then the moisturizer can interfere with the exfoliation process. Keep in mind that GA is innately hydrating. GA has the ability to hang on to water on the skin while at the same time dissolving the glue between the surface cells resulting in exfoliation.

Sometimes a manufacturer will make a GA serum and also a GA moisturizer. This would be one time where those can be used together, especially if you need extra hydration.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee.  Question for you, what is the difference between AHA and retinol?  I've used both and think I get better results from AHA.

@Kachina624 

I would have to say the biggest difference is that AHA is milder than retinol. Also, AHA is fast-acting whereas retinol works over time. Retinol can cause dryness and flaking. AHAs have the ability to hydrate the skin. Ultimately it can be beneficial to use both retinol and AHA, alternating nights of applications.

@SilleeMee.  Thanks for the response.  It's so nice to have a chemist in the house

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@beautybee @Try watching “The Pampered Wolf” on You Tube. Search for her skincare videos. She is amazing with all her skincare knowledge.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

@Mimi 1883  Thank you! I am always on the lookout for knowledgeable people in the health and beauty field. I will definitely check out her channel. 

Trusted Contributor

@beautybee  I really enjoy watching her! Another one to watch on YouTube is Zabrena. She has oily skin and also has a wealth of knowledge of skincare and makeup. Let me know how you like them! 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

@Mimi 1883  I went ahead and subscribed to their channels. I had a chance to check out some of the videos. I especially liked PW dermarolling video. I'm looking forward to watchin Zabrena's historical acurate videos. Sounds like fun. Thanks again for the recs!Heart

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't layer my AHA lotion with anything. I apply it night and rinse it off in the morning. I do this on the nights when I'm not applying my Retin-A, which is every other night. I'm not fond of using AHA lotion on my face during the day because AHA  increases photosensitivity....the GA moleceules enhance UV radiation causing the skin to burn.  Also, I apply vitamin C serum during the day and since that is an acid I'd rather not layer another kind of acid with it. In other words, I use AHAs all by themselves and let them do their job at night. 

Something about glycolic acid that you may not know is that the GA molecule is the smallest of the acids used for skincare. For that reason it can penetrate the skin deeper and has been shown to stimulate collagen unlike the other acids. So what that means is it's best to apply AHAs and leave them on, don't rinse them off right away. GAs are two-sided swords...they can exfolitate the skin's surface and stimulate collagen deep within the layers. 

@SilleeMee   I swear we’re sisters from different mothers!!!😄