Frequent Contributor

Alpha Hydrox experts, advice needed

I am in need of some advice on where to start with these products. I am noticing some texture changes in my skin that I would like to nip in the bud. I have some fine lines on my forehead that I am hoping to address as well. I have heard great things about this line and I am hoping that you ladies can steer me in the right direction as to which products are the most effective for texture/lines/etc. Thank you so much!

Super Contributor

Re: Alpha Hydrox experts, advice needed

Have you checked out their website, neoterriccosmeticsdotcom? I emailed them once and they were quick to respond with helpful information. I know JeanLouiseFinch uses their AHA products. Hopefully, she will see your thread.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation myshelle624.
Hi LORIO, I don't use a lot of AH products, but what I do use, I like. Right now, the only AH I use is their 10% treatment gel OR the 12% Souffle. DH uses their cleanser, but I've moved on to a Camellia Oil cleanser - like that much better. It's been my experience that a routine that includes prescription Retin-A/Tretinoin a few nights a week (AH on the others) has really addressed the lines. If you're not ready for prescription Retin-A, Alpha Hydrox does make a Retinol product called Retinol ResQ that many people like. It's much weaker than prescription strength products, but maybe it could be a starting place for you. If you don't like it you can always go to something else. Regular manual exfoliation will help with the surface texture too. For that, I like using Fleur de Lis Rice & Papaya Enzyme Powder in the morning. I also use the AH treatment product in the AM, too - every morning except for 3-4 days a month when I use Cure Natural Aqua Gel to exfoliate. I don't use any of the AH moisturizers. I don't like the Swipes pads. Recently I started doing weekly masks with Montagne Jeunnese masks that I bought from the AH website. They're my Sunday night treat...like them a lot.

If you have any other questions for me, LMK.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you ladies so much! I regularly manually exfoliate with Exfolikate or Korres Rose Scrub. My skin is still soft but I am just noticing some changes and don't want them to get out of control. I will check out the website and look at your recommendations. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

14jun saves you 15% off.

Valued Contributor

Lorio, I agree with myshell. contact them so they can recommend what is right for you. JeanLouise gave you some great recs. I've been using the 10% Enhanced lotion, retinol resq, and the foaming face wash for some years now. I use retin-a at night. My skin has a smooth texture thanks to this routine. I use cerave cleanser at night and the foaming face wash in the morning. Sometimes I will use it with my clarisonic. Oh I also use my homemade vitamin C serum most mornings. I use the retinol resq under my eyes and on my neck. Everyplace else I use the retin-a.

It's worth a try, just give it some time to work. I think you will be pleased. Sign up for their email updates because they have some good specials throughout the year.

Super Contributor

I'm not an expert, but I just happened to read this morning that most dermatologists say you need at least 10% to make a diff. I recently started using AH 12% Soufflé and it's very nice. More a cream (smooth and lightweight) than what I thought a soufflé would be.

I was Googling "do I need AHA if I use Retin-A?" and they do different things. The AHA is more surface, the Retin A actually gets in there and stimulates collagen production.

I like JLF's routine, above. Or, it was also suggested to use a higher-strength peel once or twice a month (ASDM has some).

Super Contributor

On 6/26/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Thanks for the recommendation myshelle624.
Hi LORIO, I don't use a lot of AH products, but what I do use, I like. Right now, the only AH I use is their 10% treatment gel OR the 12% Souffle. DH uses their cleanser, but I've moved on to a Camellia Oil cleanser - like that much better. It's been my experience that a routine that includes prescription Retin-A/Tretinoin a few nights a week (AH on the others) has really addressed the lines. If you're not ready for prescription Retin-A, Alpha Hydrox does make a Retinol product called Retinol ResQ that many people like. It's much weaker than prescription strength products, but maybe it could be a starting place for you. If you don't like it you can always go to something else. Regular manual exfoliation will help with the surface texture too. For that, I like using Fleur de Lis Rice & Papaya Enzyme Powder in the morning. I also use the AH treatment product in the AM, too - every morning except for 3-4 days a month when I use Cure Natural Aqua Gel to exfoliate. I don't use any of the AH moisturizers. I don't like the Swipes pads. Recently I started doing weekly masks with Montagne Jeunnese masks that I bought from the AH website. They're my Sunday night treat...like them a lot.

If you have any other questions for me, LMK.

I think I'd actually prefer swipes. The only one I saw on the AH site was geared toward oily skin -- is there another one for those of us who are dry? Why don't you like them?

Honored Contributor

On 6/26/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 6/26/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Thanks for the recommendation myshelle624.<br /> Hi LORIO, I don't use a lot of AH products, but what I do use, I like. Right now, the only AH I use is their 10% treatment gel OR the 12% Souffle. DH uses their cleanser, but I've moved on to a Camellia Oil cleanser - like that much better. It's been my experience that a routine that includes prescription Retin-A/Tretinoin a few nights a week (AH on the others) has really addressed the lines. If you're not ready for prescription Retin-A, Alpha Hydrox does make a Retinol product called Retinol ResQ that many people like. It's much weaker than prescription strength products, but maybe it could be a starting place for you. If you don't like it you can always go to something else. Regular manual exfoliation will help with the surface texture too. For that, I like using Fleur de Lis Rice & Papaya Enzyme Powder in the morning. I also use the AH treatment product in the AM, too - every morning except for 3-4 days a month when I use Cure Natural Aqua Gel to exfoliate. I don't use any of the AH moisturizers. I don't like the Swipes pads. Recently I started doing weekly masks with Montagne Jeunnese masks that I bought from the AH website. They're my Sunday night treat...like them a lot.<br /> <br /> If you have any other questions for me, LMK.

I think I'd actually prefer swipes. The only one I saw on the AH site was geared toward oily skin -- is there another one for those of us who are dry? Why don't you like them?

I didn't like the texture of the pad and didn't like the residue it left on my face. I'm not fond of the Intensive Serum either. Both are recommended for all skin types except sensitive. I think for people with dry skin, AH recommends their 10% treatment lotion.

Super Contributor

I love Alpha Hydrox. I use the 14% wipe, the 12% souffle and the 10% lotion. I don't think I will buy the souffle anymore. I can't tell any difference between that and the lotion. The lotion is less expensive and you get much more in the bottle. I cut the pads in half and find !/2 pad is enough for my face and decollete. I don't have sensitive skin but it burns/itches my face every time I use it. The 14% doesn't burn anymore than the 10%. Last about 5 minutes. It doesn't make it red though. I have (acne-type) rosacea and after almost 10 since developing it, now have a flawless face. My once rough flaky skin is smooth as a rose petal. I only use it at night and haven't even been using a moisturizer at night since I turned off the furnace. The winter dries me out.

I have used retin-a, but peeling was too much.