Super Contributor

Re: Allure Magazine

[ Edited ]

@Jacie wrote:

Allure went south when Linda Wells left. I cancelled way back then. I had been a subscriber for years.

I was an Allure subscriber beginning in 1991 with their second issue.  I bought their first issue at the local stationery store (remember them) and liked it so much I had to subscribe.  A magazine focusing on makeup and skincare - my favorite subjects!  But I agree that after Linda Wells left, Allure just wasn't the same - catering to a younger crowd, alienating older women like me.  And I also cancelled my subscription shortly after Ms. Wells left. However, I just might want to check this article about QVC either in print or online.

Respected Contributor

I have cancelled "Vogue," and "Allure" is next.

The new editor of "Allure" is a Chinese-American woman (I hate having to designate it), and her cause is putting more Asians in the magazine and especially black women.  She has included lots on African hair.  That is okay to a point, but it doesn't relate to anyone else, and not more than once in awhile.  I am not interested in social justice when I get a beauty magazine.  I want skin care, make up, hair, clothes, jewelry, like that.  I don't read a beauty magazine to hear about anything else.

I thought "In Style" was okay until recently.  That may be my next cancellation.  I buy it for that title, not what the latest cause for some celebrity is.

I consume plenty of news sources, and I have been reading beauty magazines since about age 14 or 15.  I am about DONE with all of them now.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Is it the October or November issue of Allure magazine? Who is on the cover? Because I'll just thumb through the issue at the drugstore since I don't buy the magazine anymore. I get the feeling that as thin as many beauty and fashion magazines are nowadays due to hardly any ads that magazines like Allure and Glamour are on their last legs.

Valued Contributor

@TY wrote:

Is it the October or November issue of Allure magazine? Who is on the cover? Because I'll just thumb through the issue at the drugstore since I don't buy the magazine anymore. I get the feeling that as thin as many beauty and fashion magazines are nowadays due to hardly any ads that magazines like Allure and Glamour are on their last legs.

It had Rihanna on the cover...

Honored Contributor

I took Allure for years and years and let that one go several years back for many of the reasons mentioned earlier.

I stopped In Style for all the wasted space on star's  gowns at awards shows.  They're all over the internet.

Bazzar pulls everything together for me and speaks to our age as well as others.

Esteemed Contributor

@cactusjack

Thanks. I went over to Allure's website and it looks like it's a special issue.

Esteemed Contributor

OK, so I was at the store today and the Beauty issue of Allure magazine with Rihanna on the cover is on the news stands. The magazine is $5.99 CDN so I decided to buy it. It's chock full of ads for once.

The article about QVC starts on page 87 for anyone who wants to look at the issue on the newsstands. It's about what you expect, the article looks at the Friday Night beauty show on the main QVC channel mostly and highlights hosts Alberti Popaj and Sandra Bennett. The products talked about include Philosophy and IT Cosmetics and the photos are taken on the IT Cosmetics set with vendor Melissa and Desiree.

It's sell, sell, sell and the "limited quantity" speel was mentioned to push sales.

Now as to the best in beauty items in the Allure magazine -- take those items mentioned with a cup of salt. Most are items that are the biggest advertisers in the issue.

When the re-formulated Clairol Nice n Easy hair color gets a mention in the magazine for having an innovative new formula, the blurb reads like a PR release. This is the hair color that has gotten a lot of bad reviews on the Clairol Nice n Easy website and their facebook page. My opinion is that since both Proctor and Gamble (the former owner of Clairol) and Coty (the current owner) are both big magazine beauty advertisers, the magazine's opinion is suspect. I tried this hair color back in January and it left my hair really dry, didn't cover roots well, and left an awful floral scent that would not wash out for a week. I ended up buying up every old formula box I could get my hands on -- I knew that the new stuff was awful.

Lastly, the article about Rihanna and her beauty company is interesting. She certainly is force to be reckoned with in the beauty industry now.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

OK, so I was at the store today and the Beauty issue of Allure magazine with Rihanna on the cover is on the news stands. The magazine is $5.99 CDN so I decided to buy it. It's chock full of ads for once.

The article about QVC starts on page 87 for anyone who wants to look at the issue on the newsstands. It's about what you expect, the article looks at the Friday Night beauty show on the main QVC channel mostly and highlights hosts Alberti Popaj and Sandra Bennett. The products talked about include Philosophy and IT Cosmetics and the photos are taken on the IT Cosmetics set with vendor Melissa and Desiree.

It's sell, sell, sell and the "limited quantity" speel was mentioned to push sales.

Now as to the best in beauty items in the Allure magazine -- take those items mentioned with a cup of salt. Most are items that are the biggest advertisers in the issue.

When the re-formulated Clairol Nice n Easy hair color gets a mention in the magazine for having an innovative new formula, the blurb reads like a PR release. This is the hair color that has gotten a lot of bad reviews on the Clairol Nice n Easy website and their facebook page. My opinion is that since both Proctor and Gamble (the former owner of Clairol) and Coty (the current owner) are both big magazine beauty advertisers, the magazine's opinion is suspect. I tried this hair color back in January and it left my hair really dry, didn't cover roots well, and left an awful floral scent that would not wash out for a week. I ended up buying up every old formula box I could get my hands on -- I knew that the new stuff was awful.

Lastly, the article about Rihanna and her beauty company is interesting. She certainly is force to be reckoned with in the beauty industry now.

Funny you mentioned the situation with Clairol.  My hair stylist mentioned this to me on my last visit.  We were talking about Redken shampoo and how they win awards for color treated hair.

She said that she wondered if there was an issue about the advertisers getting awards.  So she said that she doesn't take their awards very seriously.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I have cancelled "Vogue," and "Allure" is next.

The new editor of "Allure" is a Chinese-American woman (I hate having to designate it), and her cause is putting more Asians in the magazine and especially black women.  She has included lots on African hair.  That is okay to a point, but it doesn't relate to anyone else, and not more than once in awhile.  I am not interested in social justice when I get a beauty magazine.  I want skin care, make up, hair, clothes, jewelry, like that.  I don't read a beauty magazine to hear about anything else.

I thought "In Style" was okay until recently.  That may be my next cancellation.  I buy it for that title, not what the latest cause for some celebrity is.

I consume plenty of news sources, and I have been reading beauty magazines since about age 14 or 15.  I am about DONE with all of them now.

Hyacinth

Did you object when the magazine was not featuring minority women  and their concerns ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: Allure Magazine

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:
  • I was a subscriber to the magazine for more years than I can count. I finally let my subscription lapse because I didn't like the changes to the magazine, having each issue dedicated to one topic. Of course now there is an article I'm interested in when I no longer get the magazine!

@Jordan2, I too gave up on the magazine.  It was one I was getting through something I bought on HSN.  I was so happy when that subscription finally ended because I just didn't care for it anymore.

I know people love that Best of Beauty edition but personally, it didn't interest me.  It was always the same products over and over and I hated so many of them I find it hard to believe that Allure really picked them.  I'm sure most of the recommendations made by Allure were made because they were being paid to make them.