Respected Contributor

Allergy eyes and eye shadow or primer?

Anyone have any luck with eye lid primers or eye shadow that is bothered with very itchy eyes?

I haven't worn shadows for years because of my allergy problems, but would like to again.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Allergy eyes and eye shadow or primer?

What do you mean by allergies and itchy eyes? Are you talking about pollen/dust/dander allergies, or are a reaction to the to the shadows themselves?

I have severe allergies to pollen, dust, etc and am able to control the itchy, watery eyes with my allergy medication. If I didn't, I would be too miserable for everything in my life, not just eye shadow. When my allergies are controlled with medication, I can function normally and wear whatever I want.

If you're allergic to the actual eye shadow, you can check the lists of ingredients and see if you can narrow down which one(s) you're allergic to and see if you can find brands without that ingredient. I might start by checking the labels for talc, which is an irritant for many people. Cosmetics have a LOT of ingredients, so narrowing down which one causes a reaction can be tricky.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a ton of allergies and sensitive skin so I can relate to your situation. I have had zero luck with any kind of primer for either the eye or the face so I don't use them. I will use a drop or two of Dr. Denese hydroshield or Josie Maran's argon oil  if my upper eye is really dry but mostly I use nothing.

I have had good results with Laura Geller's baked line of shadows. They blend easy and last. I also use Bobbi Browns' eye products and love the matt tones in her eye shadows. They are silky to the touch and do not look heavy on the eye lid.

I use Bobbi Brown's eye gel liner which goes on smooth and lasts.

Mascara---I was a Mally fan but then her company went under. I switched to Bobbi Brown and YBF mascara at that time. They both work for me and last.

Esteemed Contributor

@mima, I know exactly what you mean about shadows, etc that make your eyes itchy.  I use NYX primer and It and Smashbox shadows with no problem.  If you visit Sephora, they can fix you up.  

I find the the cheaper brand shadows are bad.  I think the better brands have less filler.  Good luck!  LM

Respected Contributor

All powder eye shadows make my eyes water.  I haven't found any that I can wear.  The only things that work for me are gel or cream eye shadows.  I have several Bobbi Brown cream pots.  But my favorite is Armani # 11.

Respected Contributor

To clarify my allergy problem.  I take allergy meds all year around.  I've never been tested, but since I have allergies in the winter too, I take it I'm allergic to dust or mold.  I also use eye drops a lot. 

When allergies kick up, my eyes and inner ears itch.  I also get a drippy nose.  Probably TMI.  LOL

It is under control most of the time, but when I try eye makeup, my eyes instantly itch. I have only tried the powders though.  I don't think I have ever tried the gels.

I will try some mentioned here.

Thank you so much!

Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

To clarify my allergy problem.  I take allergy meds all year around.  I've never been tested, but since I have allergies in the winter too, I take it I'm allergic to dust or mold.  I also use eye drops a lot. 

MIMA you may be allergic to foods like I was.  Until I did an allergy blood test, I had no idea I was allergic to foods because I thought food allergies would either be breaking out in hives or something else.  I did not know they could cause sniffling, sinus problems, etc.  I ended up being allergic to 22 out of the 25 things I was tested for- so basically dust, pollen, animals plus foods like wheat, corn, peanuts, soy, etc.!   Corn is the worst for giving me an instant stuffy nose!  (Anyway, I was allergic to so much I can't avoid them all, but just trying to make changes in my diet has helped me a lot.)  Just thought I'd mention that since you said you had year round allergies like me.  I do take allergy meds everyday and still have problems.

Anyway, it sounds like you may be allergic to some ingrediant in the eye makeup itself.  Maybe trying the gels will work.  Fortunately, I don't usually have reactions to eye makeup - but just get itchy eyes.  My doctor recommended Zaditor eye drops for me and they have really helped. 

I hope you find something that works!

Respected Contributor

@Roni18  Thank you.  Your post was very helpful. I will check into thoese eye drops.  I do know I'm allergic to all dairy.  I get a crusty dry itchy rash on my chest and arms.  It also makes me really sick.  Maybe I should be tested for other things. 

Thanks a lot!

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

Anyone have any luck with eye lid primers or eye shadow that is bothered with very itchy eyes?

I haven't worn shadows for years because of my allergy problems, but would like to again.

Thanks!

@mima I have lots of problems with my eyes including a detached retina. My Dr has me use Johnsons baby shampoo to wash my eyes.

I use Bobbi Brown's cream eyeshadow and Jane Iredale's powder eyeshadow. I haven't had problems.

Respected Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@mima wrote:

Thanks!

@mima I have lots of problems with my eyes including a detached retina. My Dr has me use Johnsons baby shampoo to wash my eyes.

I use Bobbi Brown's cream eyeshadow and Jane Iredale's powder eyeshadow. I haven't had problems.

@Sister Golden Hair  Thank you for the tip!  I will buy Johnson's baby shampoo on my next trip to WM and check out the eye shadows.