Contributor

Allergic to chemical in self tanner,makes me rub till till I have a rash /any suggestions

I have tried many self tanners over the years and the chemical (forgot the name) that gives the tan I guess I am allergic too. It makes me rub until I am red! Is there any product that can do a "fake tan" without this product?

Would really appreciate it if anyone knows of one.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Allergic to chemical in self tanner,makes me rub till till I have a rash /any suggestions

My guess would be the name of the chemical would have to be known for people to respond.

I have the same problem with a chemical in random things like depilatories (hair removal creams) and in a few other items where my skin burns like crazy. I finally caught the name of it when I read The Skin Type Solution by Leslie Bauman. I have it written down as I tend to forget it too, but it was under a subcategory of sensitive skin, burning issues. I was absolutely shocked to see them all linked as they're so random and they're the only things I have an issue with, otherwise my skin's pretty tough! My guess is you'd have to find out the name, then spend time reading the ingredients of products. If it's what actually darkens the skin, then that may be an issue. You can look up the ingredient to learn more about what it is and what it does as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Allergic to chemical in self tanner,makes me rub till till I have a rash /any suggestions

frisco,

My suggestion is love the color that you are and don't faux tan. You are just beautiful.

Respected Contributor

I can only speak for myself, but if a product makes me break out and I scratch all the time, I believe I'd throw it out and leave well enough alone.

Honored Contributor

Even Suzanne Somers Tanning Serum which is toxic free still contains Dihydroxyacetone. In warmer months I let my legs and arms get a natural tan, sit in sun for 20 minutes or so a day, keep my face and neck and chest covered. Great source of Vit D too. I lost all patience with sunless tanners years ago.

Respected Contributor

On 3/19/2015 hopi said:

frisco,

My suggestion is love the color that you are and don't faux tan. You are just beautiful.

I agree. Fair skin is beautiful too. One color is not more or less beautiful than another.

Valued Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Shelbelle said:

Even Suzanne Somers Tanning Serum which is toxic free still contains Dihydroxyacetone. In warmer months I let my legs and arms get a natural tan, sit in sun for 20 minutes or so a day, keep my face and neck and chest covered. Great source of Vit D too. I lost all patience with sunless tanners years ago.

I sit in the sun and swim also now.I am only using sunscreen on face and neck/chest area so i dont wrinkle ..I will use tanner tho till i get my tan.