Contributor

Allergic reaction to Laura Geller Eyeliner Gel pencils

Has anyone else had an allergic reaction to using these eyeliner pencils? I have been using this brand for over a couple years.  Over the past few weeks no matter what color I use, my eyes get swollen and burn.  I've tossed them all out and purchased new pencils - same reaction.  

I'm bummed - I have always liked using these pencils.  I wonder if they changed the ingredients or something in the way they manufacture the pencils.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Allergic reaction to Laura Geller Eyeliner Gel pencils

You know, I wonder about this too. I bought a kit and used her eyeliner pen. I was having really itchy eyes, so much so that I had to take my eye makeup off. I have allergies anyway so wasn't sure, but it's usually my nose, not my eyes. 

I've been using different makeup for a few weeks, just because I have so much and rotate around. I still have allergies, but the itchy eyes has stopped. 

I hadn't really thought too much about it until I saw this. I do know that I was also getting redness, almost like a stye was about to come up. I suspected then it might be her eyeliner. 

Hmmm

Super Contributor

If you are having any problems with your eyes please go to an opthamologist. It might not be about the make-up.

Honored Contributor

I have been hesitant about trying her eyeliners because so many things bother my eyes and I've read about others having a reaction to hers. I notice I can get irritated eyes from her eye rimz too although I love how they look. And it isn't all the colors, just some so it makes me think there are certain ingredients in certain colors that I don't do well with.

I am not sure if her eyeliner formulas have changed since she sold her company but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. They all seem to, unfortunately.

Trusted Contributor

@schindy The thing to remember is that it's not the actual product, it's an ingredient(s) in the product. They may have changed the formulation. But it's not at all unusual for an allergy to develop after a considerable period of time, even years. Once you have an allergy, you will continue to react (most likely more severly each time) each time you are exposed for the rest of your life, no matter what product the ingredient is in. 

You might eventually be able to figure out what ingredient you are allergic to by saving the ingredient list from the eyeliners you buy and digging out a magnifying glass so you can compare what's in those you react to vs. those you don't. You should be able to contact the manufacturer directly and find out if there have been any recent changes in formulation.

Contributor

I didn't realize she sold the company.  I will check the ingredient list and start comparing when I have a reaction.  

Thank you for the suggestions 

take care ~