Honored Contributor

Re: All Summer Long w/ No Self-Tanning

I haven't self tanned either. I used Sally Hansen leg makeup once or twice early in the season but gave that up too. I am very pale and have gotten used to going with my natural color this summer. I am very surprised that no one has said anything negative to me. Usually someone will tell me I need some sun or something like that. Of course, there still are some weeks left where it will be warm enough to go bare legged so...

Respected Contributor

On 8/23/2014 Shelbelle said:

I stopped self tanning years ago, lost all patience for it. I do sit in sun about 20 minutes a day few times a week with no sunscreen, good source of Vit D. Keep face and chest covered, but arms and legs look great.

I do the same.
Regular Contributor

I'm happy for everyone that is so comfortable in their own skin. Unfortunately that's not me. I'm trying very hard to stop regular tanning and start to sunless tan. I'm pretty fair skinned but i tan really nice. Im very scared of skin cancer so every spring I try very hard to just go without tanning and I don't last. But at least the im trying and I have a good feeling that I'm going to do it next year. One of my problems is I'm very critical of myself and when I'm pale I see all the cellulite and imperfections of my body that tanning does help hide. And thats the only reason i tan. I have always been like this. My dh thinks I have body dysmorphia. But I guess the fact that at least I still try very hard to not tan every year is at least better than not trying. Next year may be the year.
Valued Contributor

I didn't self tan this year either - AND it was the first time I stayed out of the sun or used an spf 50+ generously because of a skin cancer scare this past year. I am as white as they come and have some broken veins. My strategy was to keep my legs moving and no one would notice. I was right!

Respected Contributor

I can't do it..Me and my St Tropez go hand in hand!!...It's work but oh well, just like the look better...Smile

Frequent Contributor

Same here. In the spring, as usual I bought a self tanner but have used it only a few times. Yeah I don't care to be white, spotted, blue, etc. But it's just another thing to try to find time for! Plus I see alot of others who are on the white side too so I don't feel so bad!
Trusted Contributor

I usually use my tan towels at the beginning of summer so my legs/arms aren't so awfully white. I'm pretty dark right now, though I don't lay out in the sun. I get enough vitamin D working in the garden & mowing the lawn.

Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't say I'm happy, but I'm caught up on my sleep. I do look better with color. 20 years ago I was a tanning bed pro but stopped after five years. Self tanning never looked as good and they were soooo time consuming. I've tried the professional spray tans and didn't care for the smell but liked the look! I haven't done a thing in the way of tanning for about 18 months and I feel less stressed out-but also feel like I need to wear makeup if I'm going to run into someone I know {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} .

Frequent Contributor

I've noticed Lisa R has lightened up also. It almost becomes a part time job.

Super Contributor

In my opinion tanning makes you look older, even self tanner. The older you are the older it makes you look. Look at Paula Deen. I live in FL and we have lots of the older crowd tanning all year long. They look like alligator handbags. Don't do it.