Contributor

Algenist trial run: mixed feelings

Hi:

I did a post called "Algenist - Day 3," a while ago, so this is following up on that. I actually stopped using before Day 10 because I'm nervous about finishing my samples. Too bad, because I had high hopes.

I'm acne-prone, but after using the serum and moisturizer (and eye cream) through Day 5/6, I was breaking out where I NEVER get breakouts (upper-left side of my face, near my lip and below the chin). {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I'm not in the habit of blaming products for breaking out my skin, but because of the timing, I admit to feeling a bit suspicious about the serum's and face moisturizer's role in these breakouts in brand-new places.

Now, I did see that my skin looked plumper and it did help with a rough patch under one of my eyes. I also picked up a sample from Sephora of the moisturizer with SPF 20 and, unlike the moisturizer with the QVC kit, I didn't feel hydrated enough. That's a bummer since I use SPF every day (now I want to try Phil.'s new SPF 55 moisturizing fluid.)

I don't think Algenist is junk or anything like that, but I don't think it's worth my investing more money into the line. Oh, and I got the same "brightening" effect with the maracuja oil (which hasn't resulted in breakouts in new places).

I'm still in the YMMV camp, so I believe in people trying stuff for themselves and seeing what they think.

Thanks for reading!