Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies and Happy Friday.  Wondering if anyone besides me is sensitive to algae in beauty products. It seems more and more brands are adding it to their products. Many products I've used and love have now added algae and I can't use anymore. A couple times over the last week or so I was tempted to try something different and then I saw or heard that it contained algae. Just curious if I'm the only one. I can't imagine I am.

Honored Contributor

Re: Algae In Beauty Products

YES! @nycgrl same with me- thought I was the only one!  It actually tends to make me break out which I rarely do and never do naturally. Algenist products were some of the worst on my skin but others with algae, especially in higher concenrations tend to bother my skin.

Respected Contributor

I have tried one with no issues, but I will say there things that were not meant to be put on our skin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read  info about how some people who are allergic to shellfish are, in rare instances, allergic or sensitive to algae and algae products. It might have something to do with the  iodine present in those two things.  

fyi: iodine is known to trigger acne breakouts.

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

YES! @nycgrl same with me- thought I was the only one!  It actually tends to make me break out which I rarely do and never do naturally. Algenist products were some of the worst on my skin but others with algae, especially in higher concenrations tend to bother my skin.

@HappyDaze - yup.  Break out city for me too and I don't normally break out, but algae gives me red bumps - yuck Woman Frustrated I also tried Algenist, but N/G. Afraid to try anything that has algae in it even if at the bottom of the ingredient deck now.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've read  info about how some people who are allergic to shellfish are, in rare instances, allergic or sensitive to algae and algae products. It might have something to do with the  iodine present in those two things.  

fyi: iodine is known to trigger acne breakouts.

@SilleeMeeI personally am not sensitive or allergic to shellfish so I know that is not the issue for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Is not "Algae" mold by another name?

I know it is from the sea......

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Is not "Algae" mold by another name?

I know it is from the sea......

Algae is a plant, not a mold @MalteseMomma.