Honored Contributor

Re: Aging Naturally is a Beautiful Thing

[ Edited ]

I'm making the best of what I haveWoman Wink...from my wallet to the derm's office..Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I turn 84 in October and I'm happy to be alive and healthy. Would be nice if the wrinkles would go away, but I can still dress up and look my best.

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I turn 84 in October and I'm happy to be alive and healthy. Would be nice if the wrinkles would go away, but I can still dress up and look my best.

You go girl! Being healthy is #1.

Honored Contributor

While I can understand why people wear makeup and color their hair, some try too hard to find that fountain of youth and they look garish. I'm about ready to give up hair color myself.

Respected Contributor

I always thought that Lena Horne was as beautiful in her 80s as she was in her 20s and 30s.  Good genes and being happy with yourself help a lot!

Honored Contributor

Neither my Mom or my Grandma ever went to much expense or time on beauty products. Grandma did color her hair. They used soap and water to wash their face and noxzema to moisturize. Bought drug store makeup. They were way too busy taking care of their family and working to help support them. However, both of these women had a husband who absolutely adored them and would go to the ends of the earth for them, and saw in them  more important qualities than whether or not they had wrinkles.

Respected Contributor

I saw Laura Linny (sp?) on Stephen Colbert's show the other night. She still has her beautiful voice but really looks like a different person. She's one of my favorites. If someone as bright and affluent as her can't get the best results from the best surgeon I think the knife is too risky.

I had an aunt who very carefully got nips and tucks that must have been very well done because she looked amazing well into her eighties. 

I'm doing safe things: Invisalign, hair color and Retina micro. The Invisalign isn't totally vanity; it will help save my two front bottom teeth. I'm also trying to keep the same weight. Going up or down too much shows in the face.

I'll whiten my teeth after the Invisalign.

Respected Contributor

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love me my Botox, baby!!

Contributor

It is wonderful that God has blessed you to live to be 83. I am glad that you are happy, healthy and have a positive attitude.  May God continue to watch over you and bless you every day.  

Here are some thoughts on wrinkles that I like.

Wrinkles mean you laughed, grey hair means you cared and scars mean you lived.

These are not wrinkles.  These are survival lines of my life.  Each one holds a story, a laugh, or a memory.  They are like snowflakes, no two are alike.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Women who are strong, confident, and secure are the ones that truly impress me with their natural looks. Their beauty is real and authentic. 

Anyone can get fillers or botox, have surgery, or buy makeup and other beauty products, and color their hair. But, it is not the real them and I think they are often less happy. 

What is wrong with just being yourself? Way too much emphasis is placed on appearance in our society. 

@RetRN, I am not particularly vain, but I really think that the fact that I color my hair and use some beauty products does not make any less real or less happy. In fact, doing so makes me less depressed.

I agree, @suzyQ3.  When I look in the mirror and my hair is dyed and I like the way my makeup looks, it puts a bounce in my step.  And I really enjoy experimenting with new makeup looks.  Lately I've been enjoying colorful eyeshadow palettes, and it is like therapy for me.  Ever since I was little I've loved makeup.  So I would not be being true to myself if I put it away now because someone else judged me for wearing it.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org