Esteemed Contributor

I read an article that said the jury is out on whether topical Vitamin C decreases facial lines. It doesn't hurt, but may not be as great as expected and not deliver results.  Maybe it depends on skin type and the percentage of VC; the article didn't say.

Also, retinol might be harmful if used every day. It could actually dry out skin and cause other issues. It can help but shouldn't be used all the time.

I don't use either one, so not sure how accurate this is. The main thing is to stay out of the sun and use SPF when outside. 

Also, the cost of skincare isn't as important as ingredients inside. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I personally like getting my Vitamin D naturally; therefore, I do not avoid the sun.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree, @SurferWife .  If I didn't / couldn't go out into the sun, you might as well just put me in the ground LOL.  I read posters on here saying they hurry to their car, wear SPF in the houe, have tinted windows on their cars, on and on, all the ways to avoid being in the sun.  It would be like being a vampire living in a cave.  As for me, I think I have a solar panel on the top of my head.  If it isn't sunny, I am not a happy camper.

As far as Vit C, I don't think it is a wrinkle reducer, but rather a brightener.  I have been using  Retin A for close to a year now.  I have mostly noticed a clearing of complexion - pores.  I am late to the game on this, but what the heck.  I still go in the sun everyday, but use SPF - face and chest only.  My D levels are good.......and I also supplement.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which helps reduce oxidative stress which causes premature aging inside and out. Free radicals are formed from various environmental things, such as sunlight and chemical pollutants, and if left alone they rob the body of a healthy condition. Free radicals cause oxidative stress and that is aging. 

I use VC serum for it's antioxidant properties and not so much for anything else.

I use tretinoin (Retin-A) to get it's benefits to help in all the signs of aging and it's the only product which is proven to be antiaging by the FDA.

Honored Contributor

I don't use Vitamin C or retinol products now, but it's not for a lack of trying. 

I tried 2 formulations of Vitamin C, but they didn't work for me. One caused itchy tiny red bumps on my skin so I stopped using it. I saw absolutely no positive change in my skin after using the another VC product for several months. 

I tried OTC retinol for a year with no results. My dermatologist prescribed Retin A over the course of a few years. I started with a lower strength and then used a higher strength. No results with either. 

I constantly hear about these 2 ingredients being the holy grail of helping with aging skin. I was disappointed neither helped my skin. 

I use SPF on my face and neck every day. Paula's Choice BHA products seem to help my skin more than anything.
I totally agree ingredients are more important than brand or price. 

Respected Contributor

I’ve used topical vitamin C for decades with the goal to maintain even skin tone. I think it works, no need for foundation. 

Respected Contributor

Cellex-C is an excellent vitamin C skin care product. It does produce good results. The formulation in any skin care is the critical issue.

Esteemed Contributor

I use SPF when outside and don't completely avoid the sun. They didn't specify, but I think the article meant that one shouldn't constantly suntan. I know a woman who overdid the suntanning; she had wrinkles and her skin looked like leather. She wasn't very old, either. No amount of makeup could help her. I would never go that far. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I have a stay out of the sun cautionary tale for you.  I have a friend who is severely afraid of skin cancer.  Since she gardens a lot she has a no sun routine.  She wears special long sleeved clothing and a broad brimmed floppy hat.  She uses La Roche Posey sp?  sunscreen put on so heavily her face is white.  Its just about the most expensive one on the market.  She's quite the talk among the neighbors and delivery drivers.  Anyway, she experienced some serious symptom of Vitamin D deficiency and has since lightened up on the no sun stuff.  

Honored Contributor

Experts say that up to 25 minutes daily of unprotected sun is good for us, brings in the Vit D. I did that routine every summer for years, except no sun on my face or chest. I got lots of brown spots on arms and legs, even having them sprayed with liquid nitrogen twice in the derm office has not removed them. So, now I do avoid the sun all the time. I miss it but my skin does not. I hate sunless tanners so they are not an option for me, pale has become my new normal.  Like it or not.