Respected Contributor

Re: Aging / Acne Prone skin - What moisturizer can you use?

@Love2Laugh wrote:

Hi Sandgirl!!

I have your skin type. It's awful, isn't it? 

Have you tried the Paula's Choice Clear oil-free moisturizer? This one doesn't bother my skin. Another option I like is the ProCure Rosacare. It is for people who have Rosacea, but I find it works really well for those of us with acne prone skin. It is a hydrogel, so it is just enough moisture and none of the ingredients that might irritate your skin. It's only $15 at most drugstores.

Take care! 

@Love2Laugh  YES!! It is awful, I have always had combo skin, shiny and used to touching up during the day but really only went through a couple breakout periods of my life, now I can't seem to get clear skin to save my life. I ordered a TON of Isomers stuff last year and got help by cust. service and the more I used it teh worse my skin got, something in those clog my prores for the first time in my LIFE I had some blackheads, never had those before, lots better since I stopped using it in January, I wasted a lot of money on that line Smiley Sad  You are the 2nd person to recommend the Rosacea product, I have it in my Amazon cart and plan to check it out further and maybe pick that up, thank you so much for your time in responding.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@SandGirl 

I could never use a facial moisturizer and then I discovered Lumene's Glow Reveal.  I'm 60, live in the high desert and will still break out if I use the wrong product.

I've been using Lumene for years.

Check the list for any "incompatible" ingredients.

AQUA (WATER), PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL, DIMETHICONE, PROPANEDIOL, GLYCERIN, CETEARYL OLIVATE, SORBITAN OLIVATE, ASCORBYL TETRAISOPALMITATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, NIACINAMIDE, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) SEED OIL, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) SEED EXTRACT, PHENOXYETHANOL, PANTHENOL, CETEARYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, CETYL PALMITATE, SODIUM POLYACRYLATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SORBITAN PALMATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, XANTHAN GUM, HIPPOPHAE RHAMNOIDES (SEA BUCKTHORN) OIL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, HYDROLYZED HYALURONIC ACID, PEG-8, DISODIUM EDTA, ADENOSINE, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, CITRAL, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), (CI 19140) YELLOW 5, (CI 17200) RED 33 THIS INGREDIENT LIST IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE, PLEASE CHECK THE INGREDIENT LIST FROM THE PRODUCT PACKAGING OF YOUR PURCHASED PRODUCT.

@just bee  I just found it on Amazon and going to check it out and read some of the reviews, I really appreciate your suggestion and taking time to post! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Purity Made Simple has a light moisturizer that I've been able to use successfully.  It's item # A307635. 

I can relate to so many of the skin issues discussed here.   I hope you find something that works for you. 

Good luck. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Hi @SandGirl !   Did you ever try the Differin that you purchased not too long ago? 

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@SandGirl 

I could never use a facial moisturizer and then I discovered Lumene's Glow Reveal.  I'm 60, live in the high desert and will still break out if I use the wrong product.

I've been using Lumene for years.

Check the list for any "incompatible" ingredients.

AQUA (WATER), PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL, DIMETHICONE, PROPANEDIOL, GLYCERIN, CETEARYL OLIVATE, SORBITAN OLIVATE, ASCORBYL TETRAISOPALMITATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, NIACINAMIDE, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) SEED OIL, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) SEED EXTRACT, PHENOXYETHANOL, PANTHENOL, CETEARYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, CETYL PALMITATE, SODIUM POLYACRYLATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SORBITAN PALMATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, XANTHAN GUM, HIPPOPHAE RHAMNOIDES (SEA BUCKTHORN) OIL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, HYDROLYZED HYALURONIC ACID, PEG-8, DISODIUM EDTA, ADENOSINE, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, CITRAL, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), (CI 19140) YELLOW 5, (CI 17200) RED 33 THIS INGREDIENT LIST IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE, PLEASE CHECK THE INGREDIENT LIST FROM THE PRODUCT PACKAGING OF YOUR PURCHASED PRODUCT.

@just bee  I just found it on Amazon and going to check it out and read some of the reviews, I really appreciate your suggestion and taking time to post! Smiley Happy

@SandGirl 

Lumene was always available at Walgreens and then it became difficult to find.  Target has it on their website.  And sometimes it's on sale...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

I have been using products by Renee Rouleau, and have issues similar to yours.

She has a whole host of cleansers, toners, serums and a wonderful moisturizer.  The moisturizer is light and doesn't make me break out.  

Her website is great and she has a test you can take to see what products might work for you.  I use some of them and I've never been disappointed.  

Might be worth checking out.

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl   I also have acne prone skin and a lot of products break me out. Some of the moisturizers that I find that don't break me out are: Clinique's Moisture Surge, Origins Gin Zing Oil Free Moisturizer, Belief The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb, and Corsrx Honey Ceramide Full Moisture Cream.  I am also in my 40s and have acne issues due to hormonal changes and stress.  I also find Corsrx Pimple Patches quite useful.  Whenever you have a breakout, put the pimple patches on at night, it absorbs the oil. (You can get those from Ulta online). One more thing, stay away from IT cosmetics.  The CC cream and the Confidence in a Cream really break me out. I learned that the hard way.

Trusted Contributor

You already have a ton of suggestions, but I would recommend Clinique Dramatically Different Gel.  I have had acne prone skin since I was a teen and have tried a ton of different moisturizers.  I always come back to this for daytime.  It moisturizes well without making my skin too oily and never causes any congestion or breakouts.  I have tried so many products for my aging skin that end up causing breakouts.

I use a heavier one for night as I also use Retin A which is very drying, but I will never stop using the Clinique for the daytime.

Good luck.  It's really unfair that some of us are still fighting zits while trying to find something to help with the wrinkles!  So many acne products are too drying and so many anti-aging products make breakouts worse.

Honored Contributor

Another vote for Clinique's oil free gel moisturizer.

My derm told me that the worst offender for sensitive, acne prone skin is fragrance and to always choose oil free products. It seems to keep my rosacea fairly calm although I still deal with redness from time to time.

Just a side note...I read recently that dyes in skin creams and moisturizers can also be a culprit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl  I read a couple of times that Heidi Klum, the model, uses Mario Badescu Buttermilk moisturizer.  Right now there is 25% off and free shipping.  If you have $35 in products then the 25% is taken off that.  Anyway, this is the best moisturizer I have ever used.  The reason I like it is it's lightweight not causing pimples or Milia.  It absorbs quickly and leaves skin soft and ready for foundation.  I use to get Milia from moisturizers that are too rich. Heidi said other moisturizers gave her pimples.   It took me all these years (I am 70 now) but it's never too late.  I tried some other products that I am also pleased with.  I ended up going back and getting another Buttermilk moisturizer for the discount.

kindness is strength