Respected Contributor

Aging / Acne Prone skin - What moisturizer can you use?

Lately I have had to go back to using some acne type skin care products, I got the small kit from Paula's Choice for Regular Strength Acne, 3 step - It doesn't come with a moisturizer and I have nver had luck with Paula's moisturizers.

I am getting a little flaky, is there anything worse than flaky dry skin with breakouts!! Then you moisurize and your skin feels better but you start getting new pimples! 

So, what moisturizer have you found you can use and it doesn't casuse you to break out if you have similar skin to mine.

I am 48 by the way - I am sure it's partially due to hormones along with the stress happening lately. 

TIA for your help!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Aging / Acne Prone skin - What moisturizer can you use?

[ Edited ]

I used in the past , actually for decades Lancome and Estee Lauder products. 

I was a trip to Paris last year when I visited Athens (my home town) and a cosmetican refered me I can use Nivea as a plain face moisturizer.

I have been using the blue tin ever since and I can confirm, I do like using my Nivea.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

I used in the past , actually for decades Lancome and Estee Lauder products. 

I was a trip to Paris last year when I visited Athens (my home town) and a cosmetican refered me I can use Nivea as a plain face moisturizer.

I have been using the blue tin ever since and I can confirm, I do like using my Nivea.

@Dinaki  Thanks so much for your reply. This has mineral oil and petrolum in it, two things I'm pretty sure my skin can't tolerate. I appreciate your sharing though.

Valued Contributor

@SandGirl 

Hi I am 56 and still have combination acne prone skin . I have been loving Procure rosacare moisturizer I am on my 3rd bottle . I don't have rosacea but I do have some redness around my  nose and from old blemishes.. It contains hyaluronic acid, alone, licorice root, allatoin and cucumber . It's a hydrogel so it's really lightweight 😀Amazon sells it for about $15 . Is also available at CVS ,Shoprite and Harmon FaceValue

Occasional Contributor

Hello- I have similar issues and have finally found a product I use as a daytime moisturizer-- CeraVe PM lotion-ultra lightweight.  Good luck !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl wrote:

Lately I have had to go back to using some acne type skin care products, I got the small kit from Paula's Choice for Regular Strength Acne, 3 step - It doesn't come with a moisturizer and I have nver had luck with Paula's moisturizers.

I am getting a little flaky, is there anything worse than flaky dry skin with breakouts!! Then you moisurize and your skin feels better but you start getting new pimples! 

So, what moisturizer have you found you can use and it doesn't casuse you to break out if you have similar skin to mine.

I am 48 by the way - I am sure it's partially due to hormones along with the stress happening lately. 

TIA for your help!!

@SandGirl   Whenever my skin changes, becomes irritated, etc., I change to Cetaphil lotion...a very lightweight moisturizer. Please be sure you're discontinuing exfoliating products that makes the dryness and flaking worse. Yes, stress is probably a big factor.

***Many acne products assume you have oily skin and what you're using may be causing additional drying & flaking. Check the descriptions online or call CS. Stay well. 

Frequent Contributor

Hi Sandgirl!!

I have your skin type. It's awful, isn't it? 

Have you tried the Paula's Choice Clear oil-free moisturizer? This one doesn't bother my skin. Another option I like is the ProCure Rosacare. It is for people who have Rosacea, but I find it works really well for those of us with acne prone skin. It is a hydrogel, so it is just enough moisture and none of the ingredients that might irritate your skin. It's only $15 at most drugstores.

Take care! 

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl 

I could never use a facial moisturizer and then I discovered Lumene's Glow Reveal.  I'm 60, live in the high desert and will still break out if I use the wrong product.

I've been using Lumene for years.

image.png

Check the list for any "incompatible" ingredients.

AQUA (WATER), PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL, DIMETHICONE, PROPANEDIOL, GLYCERIN, CETEARYL OLIVATE, SORBITAN OLIVATE, ASCORBYL TETRAISOPALMITATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, NIACINAMIDE, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) FRUIT EXTRACT, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) SEED OIL, RUBUS CHAMAEMORUS (CLOUDBERRY) SEED EXTRACT, PHENOXYETHANOL, PANTHENOL, CETEARYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, CETYL PALMITATE, SODIUM POLYACRYLATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SORBITAN PALMATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, XANTHAN GUM, HIPPOPHAE RHAMNOIDES (SEA BUCKTHORN) OIL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, HYDROLYZED HYALURONIC ACID, PEG-8, DISODIUM EDTA, ADENOSINE, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, CITRAL, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), (CI 19140) YELLOW 5, (CI 17200) RED 33 THIS INGREDIENT LIST IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE, PLEASE CHECK THE INGREDIENT LIST FROM THE PRODUCT PACKAGING OF YOUR PURCHASED PRODUCT.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn wrote:

@SandGirl 

Hi I am 56 and still have combination acne prone skin . I have been loving Procure rosacare moisturizer I am on my 3rd bottle . I don't have rosacea but I do have some redness around my  nose and from old blemishes.. It contains hyaluronic acid, alone, licorice root, allatoin and cucumber . It's a hydrogel so it's really lightweight 😀Amazon sells it for about $15 . Is also available at CVS ,Shoprite and Harmon FaceValue

@marmarbrooklyn  Thank you! I put this in my Amazon cart so I remember to look at it closer, this could for sure be an option to try, I apprecaite you suggesting it!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

TIA for your help!!

@SandGirl   Whenever my skin changes, becomes irritated, etc., I change to Cetaphil lotion...a very lightweight moisturizer. Please be sure you're discontinuing exfoliating products that makes the dryness and flaking worse. Yes, stress is probably a big factor.

***Many acne products assume you have oily skin and what you're using may be causing additional drying & flaking. Check the descriptions online or call CS. Stay well. 

@Shanus  Thank you! Ya, I am not using anything else, just the 3 steps but the moisturizer I currently have when I add it back in I get the breakouts so I need to find something else. I have tried Cetaphil in the past but I feel like I have a film on my skin and my powder will pill up but I do use it on my neck and chest at times