Trusted Contributor

Re: African American Women-40 Foundation Shades-- Rihanna's Fenty Cosmetics

I keep hearing a buzz about this line but I havent looked deeply into it. I will check it out as the only product lines I have found so far that perfectly fits my shade are Bare Minerals for powder (It actually looked like I wasnt wearing anything) and MAC for cream (not as perfect as BM but close). 

I'm sorry but to be competitive in a diverse world you either need formulas that will adjust to match or to understand every skin tone has an undertone. Between my mother, myself and my two daughters we are four different skin tones. My girls are actually in between my tone and my husband's, so we look like "graduated steps" of color. 

#IAmTeamWen
Contributor

This was really a great thread ladies.  Thank you

bbydol

Esteemed Contributor

I can understand why small and new companies can't start out with that many but once they become larger and afford to include more colors especially when they are bought by the big ones, I don't understand why they don't. 

I can't speak about IT cosmetics color range without looking but I do know that Bobbi Brown has many shades and from some TSV's I have seen they only include a handful. I am not sure why that is. 

I can think of at least 15-20 skin companies off the top of my head with large shade ranges though I know even having large shade ranges doesn't always include the tones to go along with each shade. I have found many times while they may have my level color, they do not have my tone or anything I can wear.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Question for anyone who wants to answer it ...... WHY do you think there's less than adequate makeup options for women of color?   

(I can't speak to how QVC makes marketing decisions based on the research of their customer base.   QVC does a LOT of things that don't make sense to me, so let's skip that one for now.)

It seems to me that there are plenty of well known, influential women of color that would be great spokespersons ....  so why hasn't it happened sooner? 

Other than Rihanna, women who immediately come to mind are Tyra Banks, Iman, Chrissy Teigen, Queen Latifa, Vanessa Williams, Halle Berry, models Beverly Johnson or Naomi Campbell .....  there seems to be no end. 

Yes, perhaps some wouldn't want to break the momentum they currently have going with their careers, but plenty of other actresses and other celebrities have active careers AND promote a product line of some sort.   Even Ellen DeGeneres has a line on QVC!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You could also ask why they don't make shades for those of us who are very pale; very olive and so black that their skin is almost blue (my SIL).

In the end, it comes down to  cost. There are more who fit into the light/medium/tan/dark shade overall than those who need very pale, very dark, very olive. "oh, you can add white to the color. Oh, you can just add a white base first. Oh, you can add white powder over it. Oh......"    Shut up. I'm sick of hearing that. Yet, companies are all about the bottom line.

I've read many, many articles supporting this (something I've been told for more than 30 years and just recently as a few months ago). I've also read that many WOC think that there is a need for more companies to focus on specific color/ethnic groups when it comes to makeup. For example, lines just for the very pale (there is one in the UK); a line targeting Asians who tend to have more yellow in their skin (not always, however); a line targeting those who are African American/Caribbean/darker skins; a line for those with redder skintones, etc. Why? Because within those groups, the shades vary dramatically as well. I've seen drugstore and department store lines for WOC where the foundations and powders made up 8 shades; how does that help all the WOC whose colors range from light brown to almost blue? It doesn't. But that line was developed for WOC, right? So why not enough shades? I don't have the answer, I just know the frustration for many exists within many lines not just It Cosmetic's, EL owned companies, etc.

IMHO, Prescriptives led the charge as the offered more than 100 shades plus custom matching yet....people forget about them and we're talking 20 plus years ago they were doing this. 

@Tinkrbl44 I really don't have any answers. All I know is that my SIL and I have a heck of a time buying foundation, concealer and powders due to our coloring. No, Fenty doesn't work for her and it's WAY to drying for me plus...I'm not THAT pink nor THAT yellow, so...yeah.

Yes @SahmIam that is what I am hearing from the bloggers who have dry skin. So far (well last I read anyway she may have added more foundation options) she only has the one which is odd when you are making that many colors to cater to all the different shades and tones, you would think she would would have at least another option for drier skin tones because that affects many more consumers. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've grown quite frustrated through the years buying foundation and powder for my shade. I'm light skinned African American with orange undertones and haven't quite found the right shade for me, too dark, too light or washed out looking. Woman Frustrated

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Contributor

And that's the key.  Just because you have several shades does not mean the shades are for people who can wear them.  "Rich and deep" are not shades.  They are categories for the lumping of a generalized color.  Shame on you IT Cosmetics.  

Esteemed Contributor

I am a big fan of Bare Minerals. The latest fabulous product that I have enjoyed for more than a year would be their Complexion Rescue. (Love),

I have never heard of Fenty, but I am interested in checking them out.