Super Contributor

Re: African American Women-40 Foundation Shades-- Rihanna's Fenty Cosmetics

I was just checking out the Fenty website too. I'm going to have to check out that lip gloss of hers!

Contributor

Well said suzyQ.  Well said.

Super Contributor

@bbydol wrote:

Hey, I posted a question a while back asking why IT Cosmetics as yet to address the issue of cosmetics for diverse women.  You know TSVs with 5 or 6 shades and 1 shade called "deep" for women of color.  Well finally, superstar Rhianna has developed a cosmetic brand, Fenty Beauty, that gives women of color so many shades of foundation.  I tried.  I conquered. I fell in love.  Ladies, you will not believe how beautiful these foundations are and how many choices there are and how many varying shades there are.  40 different colors ladies!!!! 40 !!!! From the fairest to the darkest.  Talk about a makeup that smoothes your skin and is not heavy.  No, I don't work for the company and yes I know IT Cosmetics was recently sold to Loreal, but everything I asked IT Cosmetics for I received from this line.  All I wanted was 5 or 6 choices from IT Cosmetics as was offered to other ladies that were not women of color.  That's all I wanted. Cosmetics for my complexion.   Just fairness, that's all.

I got it from Fenty Beauty and I also got 35 more shades...Thank you Fenty.

Fairness, choices, consideration for my complexion....was that too much to ask?  

Woohoo @bbydol! Thanks for the heads-up. This situation has always been not only frustrating but a confusing one for me. How in the world can any company represent itself as having expertise in makeup and not know that there are a huge range of shades AND undertones in all ethnicities? Also, if I was a color cosmetics manufacturer, bottom line, the main color I would be interested in is green! Simple formula: the more women I appeal to, the more money I will make. It's Not. That. Hard! BTW, I see that IT Cosmetics finally broke down and added ONE additional shade at the deeper end of the spectrum.

Thanks again and I will definitely check this out.

Super Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

If the issue is TSV choices, Bareminerals makes the shade fair that I need and QVC never includes it as an option in the TSVs. So I don't buy them. They just won't bring in all the foundation shades offered a company in any TSV. They expect us to make due. 

I TA @jaxs mom! I can never take advantage of any Bare Minerals TSV for the same reason. I really wanted to take advantage of the most recent TSV but, once again, the shade selection was limited and I ended up ordering a regular sized foundation in Medium Dark 23. Since they make about 30 shades, from the fairest to the deepest, why not include ALL of those shades? I mean, they have the product, they have the supersized jars and, they can make labels, so what is the problem?

In particular for your coloring, I noticed that Bobbie Brown has foundation--right here on the Q--that has several very fair shade selections including those with neutral, pink, yellow and, peachy undertones. One of the major complaints that I have often seen here from my fair-skinned sisters is that most cosmetic companies have decided that all of you have yellow undertones so that, even if a shade is fair, many women can't use them because of the yellow. This Fenty line also sounds like they may have a shade just right for you.

Honored Contributor

Yes that has been a problem, finding cool toned fair foundation. It’s one of the reasons I stuck with BareMinerals for so long. I noticed that Urban Decay finally started offering more cool toned foundations and I’ve also found a match in the Kat Von D lock it foundation. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

Bottom line is cool, warm, neutral are colors and undertones that all women wear not just the fairest.  I actually got so tickled when I was in Sephora  seeing so many shades I would have selected because they were all so close to my skintone.  Just like being in a candy store trying to decide which one I like better.  Thanks Rihanna.

Super Contributor

@bbydol wrote:

Bottom line is cool, warm, neutral are colors and undertones that all women wear not just the fairest.  I actually got so tickled when I was in Sephora  seeing so many shades I would have selected because they were all so close to my skintone.  Just like being in a candy store trying to decide which one I like better.  Thanks Rihanna.

Oh yes, definitely, I know all of us have different undertones. For myself, I have a combo of neutral/reddish undertones in my complexion and often find that many foundations have a bit too much of a yellowish/warm undertone for me. Never intended to imply or even said that only the fairest complexions have varying undertones, just wanted be supportive of @jaxs mom and acknowledge that all of us have struggles when it comes to matching our skin tones.

BTW, the two foundations I am currently using are:

- Skinn Cosmetics Plasma Fusion Serum Foundation Duo in Dark. What I really like about this product is that you get two shades, a deeper one and a lighter one so that you can customize your foundation throughout the year. Also, it is very gentle on my dry, sensitive, eczema-prone skin.

- Bare Minerals Original loose mineral foundation in Medium Dark 23. Also very gentle on my skin and can go from light to full coverage

Checked out the Fenty website and the range of foundations are indeed very inclusive.

Again, thanks for posting about this new brand.

Trusted Contributor

while at Sephora a few days after the stellar launch of Fenty Beauty, my heart was warmed by the instant rapport between women of vastly diverse complexions.  40 shades, 10 each for light, medium, tan and deep.  Variation of tone within each group, not an ashy IT tone in the whole spectrum.  Never before have I purchased two different foundations from a line and been thrilled with both.  Never before have I had options.  And word is there are more to follow!  

Rihanna even produced a contour stick in my shade (and just about everybody else's too). And highlighterS, plural!  

After  thirty years of hoping QVC would see me too, I realize they don't want to see me.  After all Becca makes a perfect Mahogany, Bobbie Brown and CoverFx get the depth right even if they do miss the undertone, but we'll never see them offered on Q. Rihanna has the rest of the beauty world "shook"   Perhaps we'll see more inclusivity from them all now.  Brava Girlfriend!

Contributor

And bravo to you my friend..can you believe you and I have not one, but two foundations we love.......the stars have finally all lined up.  

Contributor

ChazzyLady, you are very supportive and don't forget to look at YouTube.  I have never seen so many videos on so many diverse shades of skin.  Unbelievable and a price of only $34.