Honored Contributor

Re: Advice please: growing out natural nails

Initially many ladies begin their journey with nail enhancements because their nails are weak. When you remove those enhancements, more than likely your nails will be weaker (and more unattractive) than they were before years of acrylics or gels.

I have 9 nice nails. 1 nail pretty much always has a vertical split. I have tried every remedy ever suggested.

Some of us are blessed with strong nails, while others will never have them.

When I removed my enhancements, what worked best for me was Nailtiques #2 and Barielle Liquid Protein. I took Biotin also. Whether it was a combination of the 3 or an individual component, I do not know. I still use Nailtiques #2 as a base coat.

Super Contributor

Nailtiques Formula 2 is what worked best for me. I started with a small bottle to see if it would work and saw results within 3 days. Since this is what worked for me, I bought the kit with the Formula 2 & Formula Fix (thinner). They do have a kit for After Artificial Treatment but I don't know if it would be better than the Formula 2 and a good oil.

My favorite nail moisturizer and cuticle oil is Delore Nail Hardener & Nail Polish Dryer. It is sold as a nail hardener and polish dryer but it is amazing on rough dry cuticles. It moisturizes the nail and cuticle and can be applied over treatments or polish. I do not know if it is helping to strengthen my nails because I started using it after the Nailtiques.

Delore Nail Hardener & Polish Dryer ingredients - Soybean (Glycine Soja) Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Corn Oil, Peanut Oil, Linoleic Acid, Oleic Acid, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Retinal, Ergocalciferol (Vitamin D2)

Back before I got into nail polish, I used L'Occitane hand cream and their pure shea butter to keep my nails moisturized. I rubbed the hand cream into nails when applying. And used the pure shea butter morning and night. I haven't used those in many years but they did work, and my nails were strong.

I tried products by NailTek, Nutra Nail, Sally Hansen, and several others with no results but YMMV.

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck. I have never been able to grow my own nails. I went without acrylics for 8 years and after trying everything imaginable and even taking Biotin faithfully my nails would grow but so thin and split at the ends so I am back with acrylics. I keep them very very short but at least they always look nice. I find acrylics are much less maintenance and less expensive since you are not getting a manicure every week and the polish stays on. I would prefer natural nails but nothing worked for me

Occasional Contributor

I had Salon nails for 20 plus years. I have been using Nailtiques Formula 2 plus for at least a year and my nails are beautiful! I also take Andrew Lessman's hair, skin & nail supplements. This regimen has been a miracle for me. You will have to have some patience though, I know how tough that can be, but, it will be worth it in the long run if you want to stay with your natural nails. Good Luck to you!!

Frequent Contributor

Try gently buffing once a month or so and taking a multivitamin. My nails are naturally strong but always grow faster when I take vitamins.
Super Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Andreatoo said:

Shawn was raving about Perfect Gel Coat Formula (I think that's the name) working well after years of acrylics last night. Has anyone tried it?

When I quit the acrylics I just let my nails breathe for a while with nothing on them.

I agree with Shawn. I have also used this product and really like it a lot. It lasts and lasts. Love that part! And the soft pink hue is really pretty!

Honored Contributor

I just sucked it up and dealt with it. It was so long ago ( acrylics) that I can't remember if I used clear polish over the nails or not.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Let me add my experience. I had to remove my acrylics due to my ukulele lessons! I have bumpy thin and splitting nails underneath. I started a process that I got off Pinterest. 1. Trim nails down to just above the quick line. 2. File gently straight across or as straight as your nails can be filed 3. Buff and clip the cuticle down. I know you are not supposed to ever clip your cuticle but it will be raised and thick. I use a cuticle remover lotion and then push them back as much as I can. 4. Brush Gelous Advanced Nail Coat and allow to dry for about 4-5 mins. It will be tacky. 5. Brush on nail polish of choice. No brand is better than another. Allow to dry. About another 3-4 min 6. apply another coat of Gelous. Dry 5 min 7. Another coat of color. 8. Cover with a top coat like Seche Vite. (it really is the best) Now you have to take the time to let dry. It takes about 30-45 mins but it is worth it. You have nails that look like they have been shellacked and the polish will stay on at least a week or two. 6
Respected Contributor

I used Nailtiques for a while, and it works. I have a vague memory of some warning on the box about length of time to use it. I could be wrong. Also, I wondered about the safety of the ingredients.

I quit polishing my nails, because when I take the polish off, the nails just break and split terribly. My nails are healthier and stronger plain, not as pretty though.

Valued Contributor

I used to do the LED gel nail polish but the removal process destroyed my nails. I have been using Nailtiques Step 2 for two months and they are growing, no splits, and thicker!